Lerk lifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lerk lifting

I'm curious as to what you guys think about this? I think it's a viable tactic vastly under used by the aliens (considering the TG server doesn't have it at all hehe).

There have been many a time where I've want to, as a gorge, get to somewhere fast or get up to a ledge and there has been a lerk around. yes the option of going to skulk, running up there, and gorging again is open to me. But sometimes time is of the essence. I also think that this would make lerk a bit more viable (I don't see them that much in pub games - do you?) as Gorge escourtes. Let me know what you think.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Re: Lerk lifting

If you think you haven't seen lerks in pub games, you're probably right. In general, the bang-for-your-buck quotient isn't as high as it is for the other lifeforms.

That said, I'll wait for Adj' to chime in about how lerks can pwn. :)

So far as getting the plugin added to the server... I doubt it'll fly (GET IT?!?), but anything and everything's up for discussion. Right now, just about every plugin on the server with the exception of unchained chambers is a metagame plugin -- that is to say, they don't generally affect the overall game in a real overt way. Lerklift falls outside of that scope.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I'm all for it. Lerk lift is one of the more mild and generally accepted gameplay plugins, i.e. it won't make us look like voogru's. People could definitely use some incentive to go Lerk, and this plugin rewards aliens for coordinating their actions. And there's nothing quite like dive-biling with a gorge in tow.

Comment

The reason Lerks don't seem cost effective is because few people use them right. Since the new flight model and following combat games: people play them like a front-line combat unit. The Lerk abilites say otherwise.

Bite: pretty straight forward.
        Gas: wears down armor and can keep marines pinned downed for later skulk/fade rushes.
        Umbra: [edit]Many shotgun rushes[/edit] can be beat back by one lerk umbra-ing the hive and one gorge healing it. Umbra (while less effective now) can still make that Onos or Fade do more damage before retreat and may keep that onos alive while he runs.
        Primal Scream: Full support ability. Find a group of skulks and primal them before they rush a marine base/outpost.

Most of the ineffective Lerks I've seen don't annouce their intentions, then run into a group of marines to try and take them down a la combat maps. Sorry people, it doesn't work like that in "real" games.

I woulD strongly recommend that after dropping a res node, someone save for Lerk and get SoF. He's faster than a gorge and more combat capable. When he finds a phase rush, he can wear marine armor down with spores before help arrives.

*Edited for clarity.*
        Last edited by TheFeniX; 09-13-2004, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Yes, but the topic is the plugin... Lerk lift is still a support ability. Personally I think it's great when two aliens work in unison with eachother to bile a base; there's nothing like that on the vanilla alien team.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
            The reason Lerks don't seem cost effective is because few people use them right. Since the new flight model and following combat games: people play them like a front-line combat unit. The Lerk abilites say otherwise....
            This is exactly my point. The lerk is a support role class and who better for him to support then a gorge? They could transport him around hastily making him much more viable to lame up a area or even respond to hive attacks. Plus the lerk could provide a distraction while the gorge gets to saftey or gets some chambers up.

My whole reason for wanting to put lerk left in is to give lerks a reason to be more of a support role. I think once it's tried and tested, it could/would become more viabale an option on the server.
            Though much is taken, much abides; and though
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
            One equal temper of heroic hearts,
            Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
            To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Yea, I would have included more, but I'm posting in between classes. To add:

I think it would be a great idea for Lerk lift, provided it's not that lame plugin that allows them to lift marines then drop them. That just makes it stupid as Lerks die over and over trying to get kicks out of dropping marines off ledges and high ceilings.

There have been numerous times as gorge I would have liked not to waste 12 res to get into a high vent in order to bile bomb a marine outpost. That added with the speed advantage of the lerk would make for a great support ability.

Hell, with two hives you could just have a lerk/gorge combo flying from hive to hive scouting for marine patrols and capping nodes with general ease and safety. "With your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"

Comment

My vote is for enabling lerk lift. The new bug (apparently) which happens when you switch too fast has been getting on my nerves while fading (I press those weapon keys like a madman :) ).

This would give me another excuse to lerk (don't like to whore for onos). Not to mention, a flying gorge is awesome :).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

i would like it :)

Comment

Absolutely, this plugin needs to be used by skilled people who can actually use it to shift more power and teamwork to a powerless and divided alien team. I mean can you imagine an Enigma-Gorge unified with a Adj-Lerk? Or using a lerk to ferry skulks into combat who can leap off and begin fighting without running in and taking potential damage? It would spawn even more clever actions in our TACTICAL gamer community.

Also though, I saw a server somewhere that had the old spikes for a lerk enabled...we could stop the idiots who decide its brilliant to rush marines head on and waste 30 res. No offense to Adj, who can do that and come out the victor....but were all not Adj...
                    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                    We are not a single game.
                    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr
                      ....but were all not Adj...
                      Thank God. <3

Great feedback in this thread. I'll be sharing my thoughts this evening, when I have more time.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                        Thank God. <3.
                        ... ouch heh

Comment

so lerks are able to actually lift?? thats prety cool, i dont mind if its enabled, that takes skill to accomplish, and easier target for marines :)

Comment

Lerk always was my fav class, and I'd love for an excuse to use it. Sure, I think it'd be fine to have this. Its the plugins like gorge hook and stuff that are a little...off. This one seems good.

Comment

Don't mind - but I think we're wise not to turn into voogru.
                              Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X