hltv not working?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hltv not working?

Hey, so I tried to connect to the HLTV server earlier today and was assaulted with all manners of weirdness. The voicecomm was all garbled, the video was... quite strange... I didn't really sit around and analyze what was happening with the video, but I can say that the correct map and models appeared to be present. Can't remember if the correct animations were playing, but there was definitely a lot of weird effects (the same kind of stuff that happens when you "fly" outside of the map).

On the plus side, a little HLTV icon was overlayed on the upper-left corner of my screen. Also, the controls (i.e.: switching players, overview, etc) seemed to function properly.

Do I need to download something special in order to have HLTV support? Or should I be able to just connect to it with a vanilla Steam/HL/NS3.0b5 install?
    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Re: hltv not working?

Everything appeared normal for me except the voicecomm, which did seem normal for me after I set the server back to use the old, traditional voice codec (miles), as opposed to today's codec of choice (speex).

I'll try to find a way to preserve voicecomms being broadcast on HLTV. I'll disable HLTV voicecomms before I switch the server back to Miles (shutter).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Hrm.

Looks like the voicecomm problem may take some time to solve. In the meantime, I've disabled voicecomm in HLTV.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm making progress on this and will continue to work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          I'll try to find a way to preserve voicecomms being broadcast on HLTV.
          I've re-enabled voicecomm relaying on the HLTV proxy.

To avoid the garbled voices, you must hear a player's voicecomm on a server before connecting to the HLTV proxy.

If you're on the server playing before you go to the HLTV proxy, you'll surely hear voicecomm before you leave, so all will be well.

If you wish to connect to the HLTV proxy without first connecting to the server, I'd recommend the following procedure each time you want to connect to the HLTV proxy. It looks like a lot, but it takes all of 30 seconds to do this once you're used to it, and having the voicecomms working adds a lot to the HLTV experience:

1. Create local server
          2. console: sv_voicecodec voice_speex
          3. console: sv_voicequality 5
          4. console: voice_loopback 1
          5. say something and make sure you hear your own voice
          6. console: voice_loopback 0
          7. console: connect tgns.tacticalgamer.com:27020

The voices on the server are now understandable.

I now have the problem that only one team's voicecomm is relayed. It seems to be whichever team speaks first after you connect. I'm trying to figure out how to correct this, as I think it would be cool as hell to hear both teams' frantic communication during large battles.

Comment

6 months to resolution: you're fired.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
              6 months to resolution: you're fired.
              Har, actually I think it's awesome that Wyz found a workaround. From what I can tell the bug is a bug with speex and HLTV not playing nice together so there's nothing Wyz could really do to "fix" it except for find an obscure workaround, which he did.

For those curious about the problem, my understanding is that it appears that HLTV does not load the speex codec when relaying the voicecomm to players, so what you hear is the encoded audio. The workaround forces the HL engine to manually load up the speex codec (as a result of you creating a local server, forcing the codec to speex, and saying something across the voicecomm) after which HLTV will correctly use the already-loaded speex codec.
              Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

That is correct.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X