Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should phasegate use require working observatory?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should phasegate use require working observatory?

http://www.natural-selection.org/for...howtopic=81010

Interesting idea. I think that adding this, perhaps with some compensating balance changes, would help gameplay more than it would hurt.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: should phasegate use require working observatory?

sounds cool to me.
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I'd agree with this, IF the observatory was made 2-3x as strong as it currently is.
      --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

This does not please me. Not being able to drop phase gates without an obs is usally killer enough (unless your marines are standing on the far obs when the attack happens, which isn't a given); not being able to USE them when an obs goes down (considering that a stiff wind could take them out) is too much.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I think that would be great. Phase gates are extremely powerful right now (lets face it, its very hard to stop a surprise phase rush). This would give aliens another way to possibly counter constant phase rushing.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by polska
            Phase gates are extremely powerful right now (lets face it, its very hard to stop a surprise phase rush). This would give aliens another way to possibly counter constant phase rushing.
            I only view this as a problem against an unorganized alien team. in 4v4 and lower, theres no reason an alien team couldn't drop OCs on the way/in the way/as an early warning system to phase rushes. in 5v5 and larger, the alien team should have no problem sparing a defensive scout or two.

Aliens are typically on the defensive at least until hive 2, and their purpose is to defend their current territory, expand to newer territory (second hive, res nodes), and to keep marine res flow down, as well as the occasional ninja-strike on marine tech. A head on assault at hive 1 or so is suicide at best, and so theres no reason for you not to be able to keep on the lookout for phase gates.

This is, of course, in addition to the fact that an observatory loss already slows/stops the creation of any NEW phase gates. At 20 res/each, it can get pretty pricey if a marine team keeps losing their observatory.
            --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

I would like to see this added . Although an obs costs 20 res, there really isnt a reason to hit it if you are attacking a base. The loss of an arms lab or upgraded armory is generally more costly.

If the loss of an obs would mean the loss of the ability to use phase gates, this would make an observatory a more appealing target. This coudl give aliens an extra couple of seconds to attack fortified location or interrupt a marine rush (adding some variety to possible alien tactics). A competent commander will know when his obs is dieing and can have one up elsewhere in no time if needed, I don't see it changing gameplay drastically and would like to see it here.

PS - will lerk lift be added? The lerk is underused and underrated in my opinion, and I would like another reason to use it :).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by polska
                PS - will lerk lift be added? The lerk is underused and underrated in my opinion, and I would like another reason to use it .
                Possibly not officially, but we're adding the plugin to the server as soon as a functional one becomes available for beta5, I believe.
                --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Comment

I wouldn't require obs to make PGs. I would instead let the Obs allow the commander to set the order of jumps though a PG, be able to change the routes of a PG, and in the situation of a shotty rush would allow the Comm to specify which PG marines appear at for.. x time.
                  Though much is taken, much abides; and though
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
                  One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                  Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                  To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Not being able to phase back to base nor be able to be beaconed.... ouch. Worth a try if someone crafts a plugin.
                    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

thats a nice addition to the alien team.

I think wyz is cracking at it.

The link wyz provided one of the posts mentioned that this addition will be in B6.

Comment

I noticed that claim about it being in b6. I think that was unfounded enthusiasm for the fact that the thread had been moved, simply, into the forum where ideas are CONSIDERED, not planned, for the "next release." I haven't seen any dev comment suggesting this is going into b6.

I dunno.. I like this idea.. something would have to be done to buff the obs, even if it's nothing more than increasing the reliability of the "base is under attack" audio, as I've found that, if it's just me in the chair and a skulk or two chewing on the obs, I've usually enough time to hop out and drop the skulks before they drop my obs.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

depending on the skulks ofcourse :)

if its me chewing on it, yea im dead meat, but if its polska and enigma, chances are the comm will die :)

Comment

Chances are that the skulks won't be Polska or Enigma. :)

Comment

i like the obs.. but yeah.. it should be buffed up...

oh oh, the satilate should shot out big lasor beams at aliens! it does almost no damage but has INSANE knockback...

oooooooh, so this is what its like to be awake w/o any sleep..

zoommbiieeeeeee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X