• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSLearn.org Article

http://www.nslearn.org/EpAyyZlypAloOsacAP.shtml

Discuss

Re: NSLearn.org Article

I'm off to church in a sec -- so brief comments: nicely written, excellent points, I too have written about strategy vs. tactics, will read the rest later.
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

second to last paragraph kind of covers that. This was more on theory than practical usage, there was already an article on that.

Comment

Good article, things to add:

Advantages
        -----------
        Marine Motion tracking + use of the minimap.
        Alien Hive sight (aliens can coordinate very complex ambushes if they communicate well enough: flanking, baiting, sacrifice, make them shoot all their ammo then slaughter them while they go 'click click click', etcetera.).

Disadvantages
        ---------------
        Sound: Almost all of the time marines can be heard from a mile a way, while a skulk can walk up behind a marine almost silently without even being upgraded.
        "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdj`
          From the high school teacher in me:
          The possessive form of a gender neutral pronoun is "its", not "it's" "It's" is short for "it is".
          "Hackneyed" is defined as "Using definitions at the outset of your essay".
          "And now I'll explain why" and other phrases of its ilk are redundant. Of course you're going to explain why; at least you'd better if you want the essay to be worth anything.
          Headings Should Have Their Most Important Words Capitalized.
          "Commonly" and "Uncommonly" sound funny to me. Consider "Such things are common" and "... the many uncommon alien strategies".

From the NSPlayer in me:
          Very well written. I think the part about stopping the construction of hive two should be bolded and made to blink.
          You writing about stroking egos was pretty funny. It's not the easiest thing to get a compliment out of you, you know. :)
          Very nice job on the advantages and disadvantages, particularly in noting the expansion capabilities of both teams.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by ----paranoid----
            Excellent article and very well written :icon_cool

The only point i didn't see you make was that as a commander strong communication from you is the key to directing your marines.

As an example i was playing a game with zepher as the comm and turbinator was a marine, Turbinator was on the leading the comm with never-ending do this, do that and it was hard to tell who was leading, and of course we lost the game :icon16:

The commander runs the show and HAS to TELL his marine what they should be doing and not the other way around.

Goodwork and now i'm off to read the other articles

Thats the last time I ever listen to a guy who has the soviet flag as his avatar...COMMUNISM DOES NOT WORK DAMMIT!!
            -Zephyr
            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
            We are not a single game.
            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
              From the high school teacher in me:
              The possessive form of a gender neutral pronoun is "its", not "it's" "It's" is short for "it is".
              "Hackneyed" is defined as "Using definitions at the outset of your essay".
              "And now I'll explain why" and other phrases of its ilk are redundant. Of course you're going to explain why; at least you'd better if you want the essay to be worth anything.
              Headings Should Have Their Most Important Words Capitalized.
              "Commonly" and "Uncommonly" sound funny to me. Consider "Such things are common" and "... the many uncommon alien strategies".

From the NSPlayer in me:
              Very well written. I think the part about stopping the construction of hive two should be bolded and made to blink.
              You writing about stroking egos was pretty funny. It's not the easiest thing to get a compliment out of you, you know. :)
              Very nice job on the advantages and disadvantages, particularly in noting the expansion capabilities of both teams.
              I ran grammar check and did little else. If it didn't catch its and it's, sorry. I spent 5 hours from 1-6 AM writing it, and I had little drive to double check the grammar and punctuation beyond hitting grammar check on Word and letting it find most of the mistakes I made for me. If some of it sounds odd, it probably does. Next time I'll run it by an English Professor to make sure IT'S correct. The headings were altered, so that's not my fault. For the definitions, that was my intention to have them at the beginning, otherwise people wouldn't understand why I was talking about what I was talking about. Remember this was to be informative, not show off my awe-inspiring writing skills. :P

As for the content remarks, thanks. I spent a lot of time trying to make sure I covered everything that I should have. I don't compliment people on TG often because I don't think anyone does anything extraordinary often enough to do require it. I don't have to beg people to do things, they just do it. On normal pubs sometimes you have to work to get marines to go to Point B from Point A. When someone kills a fade I normally say gj, or they keep an rt alive or something. I expect more from players here, so they don't get their ego stroked for doing what I expect as a baseline.

Comment

No one asked for an apology about your mistakes. They're just trying to help. Grammar mistakes make you look unprofessional, even amateur, when publishing material. I would think, given the amount of effort you've clearly put into this work, that you at least owe it to yourself to come off looking more professional than amateur. If you feel like your audience is a bunch of 15 year olds who spell 'your' as a two-letter word, grammar may not be that important. But if you envision your work as greater than that, some would argue that grammar corrections given you are just as important as content considerations.

When someone kills a fade I normally say gj, or they keep an rt alive or something. I expect more from players here, so they don't get their ego stroked for doing what I expect as a baseline.
                So, speaking hypothetically (which my experience dictates we must), for what sort of accomplishment(s) would you, in game, go out of your way to compliment another player on the TG server?
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Seeing a few medpacks and ammopacks dropped after we wax a fade is all the thanks I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    No one asked for an apology about your mistakes. They're just trying to help. Grammar mistakes make you look unprofessional, even amateur, when publishing material. I would think, given the amount of effort you've clearly put into this work, that you at least owe it to yourself to come off looking more professional than amateur. If you feel like your audience is a bunch of 15 year olds who spell 'your' as a two-letter word, grammar may not be that important. But if you envision your work as greater than that, some would argue that grammar corrections given you are just as important as content considerations.
                    I was serious about running it by my English Professor, I didn't notice some of the things he mentioned. That wasn't sarcasm, that was me admitting I made some mistakes of which I wasn't aware of. I'm not a professional writer, and I was simply making that clear. Most people wouldn't notice what he mentioned.

For the compliments: hives dying, fades dying, onos dying, something that doesn't happen every few moments. It may be a good job that is barely audible amidst the other 150+ words I say a minute comming, but I generally do say something. Mowing down a fade with 5 HMGers isn't anything special, soloing a fade with a lmg is. It's expected that people listen to what the comm says, skill is something that people have to learn on their own.

Comment

I was serious about running it by my English Professor, I didn't notice some of the things he mentioned.
                      Cool. Also, consider having it reviewed by two of your peers who consider themselves strong proofreaders.

that was me admitting I made some mistakes of which I wasn't aware of.
                      ... nothing to see here.. move along... move along.. :)

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

On the same token though, you know the value of morale. "Attaboys" shouldn't have concrete qualifications, because the compliment you pay to someone in your clan comes with a higher standard and a better knowledge of the person than the compliment you pay a random NSPlayer.

Sometimes, doing a mundane thing and getting complimented on it will do something for a player's morale, y'know? Having a standard that is within the reach of your players is important.
                        [volun2]
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

That wasn't sarcasm, that was me admitting I made some mistakes of which I wasn't aware of. I'm not a professional writer, and I was simply making that clear.
                          I'm SOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo tempted to sticky this. :P
                          [volun2]

Comment

:\ Everyone's wrong on occasion, tis impossible to be right 100%. I have no need to admit mistakes most of the time, I simply don't reply if I'm wrong. But this is something of a little more professional nature, so I felt the need to say something.

Comment

I have no need to admit mistakes most of the time.
                              Humility is a powerful social asset and must be learned and practiced just like any other networking skill. The need is there. Don't overlook it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X