Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NS framerate problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NS framerate problems

    As a marine or skulk (not comm), everytime I see a skulk, a phase gate, the tactical gamer annoying message (including the ns help that you can turn off), and a couple other things, I drop 30-50 fps and have EXTREMELY gittery motion in my mouse. It becomes so inefficient that my new tactic is to crouch down when a skulk attacks and shoot at the floor and wiggle the mouse as much as possible hoping that it moves.

    leon suggested I try turning Natural Selection to "low" priority and that didn't really work... I simply did ctrl+alt+delete and then turned hl.exe to "low" priority. I am not sure how I can turn the priority prior to starting the game...

    Specs:
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    768 MB Ram (Yes its low... but its NS and HL2 runs fine...)
    ATI Radeon 1950XT 128
    Windows XP
    Directx 9.0c

    Any other ideas?
    Last edited by StarClaws; 04-04-2008, 02:28 AM. Reason: Addition

  • #2
    Re: NS framerate problems

    Those screens also lag me out. I wish we had the option of changing the "spam" to text based. ::nudge Wyz or Poker:: If you must still play the alert sound, that would be fine with me. But the loss of frames really sucks!
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NS framerate problems

      What kind of FPS do you get on HL2?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NS framerate problems

        I get 30-60 fps depending on map of CS:S (HL2) but it doesn't glitch or lag or (shutter?) ... the fps loss i have on HL1(NS) is from 100 fps to like 60 fps but its sooooo bad on the processor or whatnot that it freezes mouse.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NS framerate problems

          It'd be an interesting test if you could hook up a 2nd monitor and watch your Task Manager when this happens... see if something is spiking or hogging resources. Something is causing some kind of memory leak.. but I can't imagine NS even has any of those any more.

          Another thing to check is to see if you're running in D3D or OpenGL mode as that will cause a difference , by default you should be in OpenGL.
          Though much is taken, much abides; and though
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
          One equal temper of heroic hearts,
          Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
          To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NS framerate problems

            tried D3D and its even worse. It feels like its not processor... Its strange.

            EDIT: Just went through video card and turned EVERYTHING down to performance etc... Still problems.

            And again: HL2 mods run fine. I have no clue :(

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NS framerate problems

              You don't want to run HL in D3D, it was never intended to be ran in DirectX, it's a OpenGL game.

              Having said that... I'm confused on why you're having the issue. Does Half-Life and Counter-Strike run okay? Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are completely different engines, so don't try running Counter-Strike:Source or HL2 and report back saying they work great.
              Though much is taken, much abides; and though
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
              One equal temper of heroic hearts,
              Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
              To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: NS framerate problems

                Originally posted by Lt.Asher View Post
                Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are completely different engines, so don't try running Counter-Strike:Source or HL2 and report back saying they work great.
                Well, that's not completely irrelevant information. At the most simplistic breakdown, this could be either some variety of settings problem/conflict, or an issue of having an insufficiently powerful computer. (You wouldn't think the second one would come up too much, but you'd be surprised to see some of the ancient gaming computers still floating around). Being able to run HL2 without problems indicates the overall computer power is not at fault, so that brings us back to our first guess of settings conflict.

                That said, information on other HL1 mods would probably be more useful -- that would let us narrow it down to NS specific vs HL specific problems.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: NS framerate problems

                  Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                  Well, that's not completely irrelevant information. At the most simplistic breakdown, this could be either some variety of settings problem/conflict, or an issue of having an insufficiently powerful computer. (You wouldn't think the second one would come up too much, but you'd be surprised to see some of the ancient gaming computers still floating around). Being able to run HL2 without problems indicates the overall computer power is not at fault, so that brings us back to our first guess of settings conflict.

                  That said, information on other HL1 mods would probably be more useful -- that would let us narrow it down to NS specific vs HL specific problems.
                  Wait, what? No. It is completely irrelevant information. It's like saying WarCraft 3 runs a bit choppy but SimCity 3 runs like a champ. They are completely different game engines that have no releviance upon one another. He needs to run Half-Life and Half-Life mods for any further data to be indicitive of his problem.

                  Now I'm not saying that a weak power supply couldn't be at fault (though I doubt this is anywhere in the realm of hardware errors, my personal opinion) but really we need to compare apples to apples, not apples to mango fruit strawberry punch.

                  Having said all that... a DXDIAG report wouldn't hurt either.
                  Though much is taken, much abides; and though
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
                  One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                  Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                  To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: NS framerate problems

                    Originally posted by Lt.Asher View Post
                    Now I'm not saying that a weak power supply couldn't be at fault (though I doubt this is anywhere in the realm of hardware errors, my personal opinion) but really we need to compare apples to apples, not apples to mango fruit strawberry punch.
                    Mango fruit strawberry punch is far superior.

                    Comment

                    Connect

                    Collapse

                    TeamSpeak 3 Server

                    Collapse

                    Advertisement

                    Collapse

                    Twitter Feed

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X