X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting clanner vs pubber comments

This caught my attention in a thread at ns.org:

Originally posted by Redford
    saying that the only diffrence between pubbers and clanners is skill is absurd. There is also a very definite mental diffrence between the two.

Pubbers enjoy casual play. They have fun with the mod either by just screwing around, or enjoying games with friends or complete strangers. They don't care if they win in most cases as long as they have fun getting there. Casual gamers want rules that make the game fair, and will increase the fun-factor of the game without introducing exploitable or frustrating elements. They often react violently towards playing with clanners because clanners often use tactics which are considered "unfair" or "lame" by them.

Clanners on the other hand, enjoy professional play. They play to win at all costs - nothing else is important. They will do anything to prove themselves superior to their opponenet, which often leaks down into other forums of communication. This creates the well known "Clanner attitude". Clanners will do anything to win. They enjoy playing with people who share their same attitude and are therefore not fodder for the previous points. They want a mod that is balanced only at the highest level of play (which they play on) and do not care if it has rammifications further down the ladder. They also want elements included that can be practiced using skill in order to get better, even if those elements are nearly (or are) engine, game, or bug exploits.

These are only general demographics for the two mindsets. Please don't reply saying OMG THIS ISNT HOW I AM?!?1/1/ becuase these are the most severe representations. Some people are midway between the two mindsets, grabbing behaviors from both. Some clanners (a very small item) enjoy playing compeditivly yet also understand respecting others and the merits of casual play - these are the best of both worlds, and mostly the element that was allowed to remain in the PT program after the vets were split.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: interesting clanner vs pubber comments

Good summary. This belongs in General Discussion!

I think that TG takes the best qualities of both of those groups: the teamwork and communication of clanners and the fun and dedication to fairness of pubbies.

Comment

I hate you all evenly. Although I do agree with most of that. I would have to be somewhere in between. I used to be more of a clanner mindset as a result of clanning days in cs, however that has slowly changed over time.

Having said that, I tend to be fairly competative so I may rub off the wrong way on some. Sometimes I just really dont give a you know what, and like to screw around. I would have to say over the years we have had a mix of both types here and for the most part have gotten along fairly well together.

PS - I am tired and it may just be gibberish coming out of my mouth.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

That clanner definition really only applies to clans that play competatively. A clan is pretty much any group of gamers that have established to the community that they are a group.

Point in case: The Jedi Academy clan I'm in. We don't play competatively, and we certainly don't preach "win at all costs." When it comes to exploiting the poorly coded Academy MP engine, we know about all there is to know. Doesn't mean we use them in order to win (God knows we've had "friendly" games with other clans that made it a point to spam them to win).

Granted, the non-competative clans are some of the worst (for the most part). 90% I've run into are only together to try and make life Hell for everyone else.

In effect, the poster should have broken it into three groups:
        1. Pubbies
        2. Casual Clanners (which I consider TG to be a quasi part of)
        2. Competative Clanners

Comment

Haha, oh man.

*waits for some one to say "The seccond one sounds alot like NothingMore!" :icon_lol: *

Psychology and games. I should write a paper on this for my psych class =P

Comment

If you do, make sure you have someone proofread it. That's just good practice.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That thread was unique I must say. First time I saw a flame war between playtesters, old school vets and the super skilled.

Comment

lol are you serious?

I can't say I felt that was the first time, but maybe it was. I'm quite sure I wouldn't know for sure.

Comment

Wyz Im not sure you know everyone that was involved. Sure there was 2 or 3 PTs....... argueing here and there. This was something different.

Yes there is a big mental aspect of the clanners that seems be disliked by people. LOL we've been through that episode a few times.

Comment

I'm quite sure I don't know everyone involved. I was simply pointing out that I can't imagine that was the first flame war between playtesters, old school vets and the super skilled that I witnessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      I'm quite sure I don't know everyone involved. I was simply pointing out that I can't imagine that was the first flame war between playtesters, old school vets and the super skilled that I witnessed.
                      We argue all the time. Litterally.

Comment

Trust me, I just got done talking to Zunni, NemesisZero, and plenty of other competitive players. That thread just ripped apart any semblance of stability the community had, and I'm glad I had something to do with it. Some of those IRC ops and Forum mods need to go, and something needs to be done about balance before the competitive scene literally dies because vets get angry and leave due to no one listening to them. Something is in the works that zunni and a few others asked me to give an opinion on, so we'll see what happens with it.

Comment

Ok. We'll trust you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdj`
                            Trust me, I just got done talking to Zunni, NemesisZero, and plenty of other competitive players. That thread just ripped apart any semblance of stability the community had, and I'm glad I had something to do with it. Some of those IRC ops and Forum mods need to go, and something needs to be done about balance before the competitive scene literally dies because vets get angry and leave due to no one listening to them. Something is in the works that zunni and a few others asked me to give an opinion on, so we'll see what happens with it.
                            As I'm totally uneducated in the NS competitive scene, to which team do the scales of balance presently favor?
                            [volun2]
                            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                              As I'm totally uneducated in the NS competitive scene, to which team do the scales of balance presently favor?
                              I guess that depends on who you ask, but in my opinion, NS is more pub based.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X