X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow... someone frame this...

Man, Grendel hit the nail on the head:

Originally posted by Grendel
    the necessary confidence required to play competitively frequently displays itself in the teenage psyche as total arrogance.
    Rather than state the opinion that he's "right," I'll state the fact that this quote has been tested against every experience I've ever had with competitive players in this community and accurately describes the experience at least 7 out of 10 times.

Source
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 04-25-2014, 02:22 AM. Reason: added Source of original Grendel quote
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: wow... someone frame this...

I'll agree that the pressure to perform can really result in some arrogant people. I'm a pretty good example of this, I can get pretty agitated at times and downright hostile to people. I'm moving away from it over time, believe it or not. I do a lot of help work in the NS Community, and I don't really do anything negative to people individually unless I'm highly provoked. Arrogance is almost required to keep away some of the other competitive players at times, although those of similar skill tend to stick together pretty well (exigent and dn get along well). Often I seem rude or haughty to people and it wasn't my intention at all, and I usually personally apologize to that person if I was in some way snubbing them. In fact Grendel talked to me earlier today and said such, so I edited a post to remove the supposed rudeness I included, even though it wasn't intentional. I'm a product of my surroundings, I rarely show that I'm incorrect because that's what my surroundings have called for. I'm sure some of the others have reasons for how they act as well, and may or may not be in a stage of personal development that tries to fix some personality flaws like I am currently.

Comment

Noteworthy to me is your representation of your efforts as introductory considering so too introductory is your departure from the demographic which Grendel referenced: teenage years.

Man, I wouldn't be a teenager again if you paid me. Yeah, a lot of it was damn fun, but .... wow.. being an adult is a lot more fun. :)

I can understand your need to apply arrogance as a social skill. Typically, I would reserve that skill for life's situations of importance far, FAR exceeding a video game, but I understand that, the younger you are, the less likely you are to be able to put that video game, and its importance, in perspective to the rest of life's challenges. I'm referring moreso (but not exclusively) now to the players who have recently arrived in the teenage years as opposed to those who have recently departed (or are about to depart) them.

You're a product of your decisions, to be sure. I mean, I can only imagine you attribute both (your surroundings and your decisions) to the end product that is you.. anyway.. the phrase caught my eye.

Good post. I enjoyed reading it.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yea I also noted that although I didn't mention it in my reply. When I was 15-16 I was definitely in that category, but over time I've definitely grown a lot more mellow. I've always thought that your surroundings made you, and that decisions more or less reinforced what you were taught, although a new influence could obviously change the surroundings, thus altering your decisions. I'm sure a lot of the clan players that are in their teen years haven't experienced many things that those of us of older age have, and it's just rather expected that they'll act in the fashion they do. I get rather irritated with a lot of the clan community, and I try to keep them from doing retarded things as much as possible, however I'm not the Clan Police, so I usually have to have their respect in order for them to listen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdj`
          I usually have to have their respect in order for them to listen to me.
          Words to live by, regardless of audience.

Comment

I have never seen people talk the way you guys talk in either work, (engineering) home, or school.

Pompous

Comment

NS is probably the worse case of this. Having been a CS player for awhile and a AQ2 player before that. NS competitive players seem to have the worst attitude of them all. I personally think its because the way public players are and the way competitive players are is the difference. From what I have read, on the NS forums and here, competitive games seem to be a lot different from the average pub style server, therefore these players who are used to the competitive natural of the game get frustrated when games dont go the way they see it and tend to take it out on everybody around them (because they "suck" compared to them).

Comment

The rift lies in how massively different the two groups apply tactics to situation (as well as personal skill such as aiming, etc). Pubbers in general find it amusing to have big pointless battles with big aliens and big guns.

What I'm trying to say, is that the observed increased attitude level of NS competative players is because the difference between the two groups is *so* much bigger in NS than in other games, like CS. CS is more or less frag or be fragged. Aside from basic tactics, theres really nothing truely in-depth in CS. NS has a tech tree, which in itself is enough to cause a huge difference in play styles because tactics are significantly more important.

Just me .02. Probably rambling more than anything else, but what can ya do.
                --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

The divide between pub play and competetive clan play is just so much larger in NS than it is in a game like CS. That's why there's so much bitterness. In CS, whether you're worst newb or the best clanner, you're basically just playing a team deathmatch game. There's not nearly as much room for frustration in a game like that when your team isn't up to par. In NS, on the other hand, once you've gotten better and had a taste of what it's like to play an organized game, the pub community starts to look barbaric in comparison.

Comment

I think the biggest thing about NS all boils down to this... trust.

You have to trust that your commander knows what he's doing. You have to trust your cover-fire to take down that leaping skulk that's going for your face while you reload, you have to trust that everyone is doing what they should. And I think for the majority of online communites this does not exsist. The world of MMOs has always re-enforced the idea of "be the lone gunman" and then all the sudden your tossed into this world where you live or die by what ONE man does or tells you to do....well... it's un-nerving to say the least.

Also our culture is very much a "now" culture. While the killing of an alien may be satsfying it doesn't end the match or give an immediate effect on the game which is what everyone wants. NS is very much a "kill this fade now and it will pave the way to win the game 20 minutes down the road" and that's just something most americans can't grasp.

Anywho.. just my two cents /rant off :)
                    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
                    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

"Greatness is never appreciated in youth, called pride in midlife, dismissed in old age, and reconsidered in death. Because we cannot tolerate greatness in our midst, we do all we can do destroy it."

That's pretty much how I feel about NS & it's great players, and how new/pub players react to them.
                      Though much is taken, much abides; and though
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
                      One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                      Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                      To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

I know sometimes i get mad when I play NS, cuz it's frustrating to me now. I'm a crack-shot is every game BUT that one :P I always seem to miss :\

But it's funny, while i may always get frustrated with NS and leave or something, CS is a different story. I admin 5 servers, but mainly play in 1. I am the most calm admin AND person they know in cs, AND one of the best. They always do things to try to get me aggrivated, but it never works. They always say something like this "Sniper... dude.. you never get mad!!! No matter what we do! Geez just once, can you explode for us?"

I just laugh, it's funny though :) I have only exploded once in CS (while my bro has exploded like... 5times a day). The people who saw me explode NEVER want to see me explode again, so they tell the others to stop while they are ahead :P

It's great =)

Comment

Why some clanners despise public games.

Example: Heavy train goes to the hive and starts sieging. From here one of two things usually happens.
                          A) No one shows up until the hive is at 9%..... gg
                          B) Skulks throw themselves at HMG heavies one at a time giving the opposing team res from kills… gg

In this situation on a regular public server it would be a gift from god to see the TEAM of skulks split up into two groups. One group flanks... the other team attacks from the front... at the same time. Even if it didn’t succeed in breaking the siege it would help give me some hope.

If ns ever got to the point that the alien team would actively use their hive sight, and would set up baited ambushes and pronged attacks, est. I think NS would be the # 1 HL mod.
                          "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X