map-spanning electricity bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• map-spanning electricity bolts

The following real bug report and reproduction was offered in the ns.org forums as an example of the level of effort that is often required for PTs to reproduce and report errors. His goal was to point out that it's not all fun and games being a PT.. it's a job and requires effort.

This much I knew...

... what caught my attention was the content. We've all seen the map-spanning electricity bolts. Perhaps this is what causes them? I don't know, but I'm guessing that might be what he's referring to below:

Originally posted by Scylla
    OK, I figured out how to reproduce this! Get in the command console and build two electrified resource nodes and an observatory. Have an alien player get attacked by an electrified node, and scan with the obs so that you see that alien and the bolt of electricity. Then have the alien go attack the other electrified node, and watch the spot on the map where you saw the alien get attacked the first time. The bolt of electricity will appear to go to that spot.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: map-spanning electricity bolts

I have the feeling some things like this aren't from testing as much as noticing a bug, then watching all the times it occurs in a hope of noticing anything that recurrs, which is when you can then try and test it out.

Comment

The fact that I've seen that very same pattern in many other venues of "bug testing" would support your argument.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdj`
        I have the feeling some things like this aren't from testing as much as noticing a bug, then watching all the times it occurs in a hope of noticing anything that recurrs, which is when you can then try and test it out.
        I don't know how much experience you (or others) have with software development, but just because you see something "in production" and reproduce it there, doesn't mean that it isn't part of "testing".

That is why you have play testing (we call it user acceptance testing), but basiclly, you have the user, or a sub-set group "play" with it and see what happens. And if a bug gets out of UAT or PT and into beta, it is still "testing".

It is one thing to be playing beta level software and bitch about a bug, but the PTs are the ones that are responsible for reproducing the minimum action to reproduce the bug. That is often the hard part.

So, I'm not saying that you are wrong, really, but it is important to keep in mind, like Wyz said, there isn't much "play" in being a playtester.
        --
        CaveDog
        "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse