(CO)"catch-up" plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (CO)"catch-up" plugin

I want to talk about the (CO) plugin that allows you to "catch-up" levels if you fall behind your team.

I used to think this was a really good plugin at first (because I suck, and being able to get free ups is great). Now I think its a crappy plugin thats being abused, and here's why. You get somebody like Enigma on the alien team, and lets face is, he's a damn good alien. You get him on the alien team and all the rest of the aliens have to do is just sit back and let him get 5 or 6 levels so they an get all their up-grades without having to do any of the work that goes into getting them. Now look at it from the marine POV. Instead of having 1 super strong alien to contend with, you got 1 super strong alien, and 2 or 3 strong aliens to contend with who put no work into getting those levels. There's no chance the marines have to catch up, since the rest of the aliens have all their ups (thanks to Enigma going 20 and zero) there isnt a "weak" alien so the marines can score exp from.

That's why I feel that a lot of these CO games have been one sided. You get a really good marine, or a really good alien, and the rest of the team just has to sit back and get levels until they get their shotguns and then they go out of the marine base. I feel removing this plugin will force the rest of the team to actually get kills on their own making a more balanced CO game.

Besides, this game already have a way for the teams to "share" exp. Just group together. If a marine scores a kill, then all the marines around him share in the exp.

Now for the late joiners. Yes, I hate joining a CO game at level one, so here is an idea. Make the plugin so it only effects you when you join the game and not during the game. This way, a late joiner isnt the weakest player, yet he isnt the strongest player. He is still killable, but he can still has a chance to survive (comes down to personal skill, and not somebody else's).

On a personal note: I know we dont take CO seriously, but its the only thing that can get played until more people show up (which is usually around 7 PM EST, some times later). And as it is right now, CO is frustrating since you get a group of aliens (or marines) who just depend on that 1 good player to get all their levels from. I found myself doing it today when on Enigma's team and I have noticed that a lot of people do it and TBH, its just not fair for the other team, especially when that other team isnt all that great. Nothing beats today on faceoff, it was 3 on 3, Enigma joined aliens and nobody wanted to join the marine side because they know full well that they're going to be the losing team.

thank you.
    Change it so that only those entering the game late get free XP.
    36.84%
    Change it so that the average XP is based on the entire server, not just my team.
    21.05%
    Change is good. Either of the above is acceptable.
    15.79%
    Change is really good. I vote for both options.
    21.05%
    I hate change. Stop screwing with the server and leave this plugin alone.
    5.26%

The poll is expired.

Re: (CO)"catch-up" plugin

Wyz will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the level plugin was configured to look at the entirety of the server. Maybe that was b4, though, and the b5 one hasn't been tricked out thusly.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Re: (CO)&quot;catch-up&quot; plugin

Thanks for taking the time to calmly and clearly lay out your thoughts, Ender. Kudos to you.

Poker's right.. I modified the plugin in beta4 so that the XP percentage calculation considered the experience of the entire server, not just your team.

I'll add a poll to this thread. It will offer some ideas for change. If one option is popularly adopted, I'll likely implement it.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Poll added.

While I didn't think of this until after I added the poll, it does occur to me that having the average based on the entire server AND applying it ONLY when you join a team would be .. kinda cool.

... after all, the plugin is called "latejoin" not "yousuckhere'ssomefreeXP".

Poll closes in seven days. If you're not a regular in the forums, you need to be. :)

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

As someone who really, really sucks at NS (in both flavors and on both sides), I appreciate the chance to still have SOME way to be a threat to the other team.

Is there some way you can cap it so that free experience is scaled based on the level of the highest member your team?

For example:
          If the highest level member is level 3, you get no experience. If that player is level 4, you can get up to level 2. If that player is level 5 or 6, you can get free experience up to level 3. 7 through 9, level 4. Level 10, the highest you can get for free would be level 6.

In my mind, this would allow you to at least get some upgrades (either armor, stronger weapons, a couple traits) to allow you to remain competitive without overburdening the other team. Even if your highest guy was level 10+, you could only get free exp up to level 6, forcing you to actually play and not just leech.

Another idea, possibly to be used in conjuction with this, would be to space out the intervals at which free experience is given?

Perhaps no free experience in the first 2 minutes. After that, you can't get another free experience boost until you die after another minute has passed. Something like that?

Comment

wyz: Thank you for your for kind words. I have a couple of times, complained about certian things only for them to get taken the wrong way. I found out it was mostly do to the wording, or the context of those posts that was making people feel like I was attacking instead of just stating my opinion on things. I actually took the time to write that out, and made sure that I wasnt coming off as being confrontational or just flat out bitching.

Mikey: What I'm suggesting is simple. As soon as somebody joins a team, the total level of whatever team he joins is added together, then divided by the number of players on that team. The number left over (rounded down) is the level the new player gets.

example:

4 <players on team> + 13 <number of total levels for the team> = 3 <3.25 rounded down)

The new player will recieve a total of 3 levels for which to spend on upgrades.

Comment

The "xp'causeyousuck" never worked for me (or didn't seem to work as well as I'd wanted) -- YES even when I wasn't on the top of the list. So the new plugin needs to give me 10 levels off the bat for reparations (BRING BACK THE XPVAULT!).

Many can vouch for this - if I'm on a team that is clearly winning and overpowering the other, I'll often self-sacrifice so that some can get levels. I'm not serious enough about CO to be above that. Others should consider the same? Out of the goodness of their hearts?
              Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

I also think that XP should only be given to people who join late, and only as soon as they join. Make it keep track of SteamIDs if possible to prevent exploiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid
                  I'll often self-sacrifice so that some can get levels.
                  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. *looks around*

Comment

Some of us out there NEED "cause you suck" XP. I'd like to keep that option. Not for me... for this friend of mine.
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I understand your proposal Ender. Mine was a counter-proposal to keep the "yousucksohere'ssomeexp" type of experience. Personally, I find it useful. If I have to stay at level 1 for the entirety of a CO game just because I suck (at least for now, I hope) then that's not fun. On the other hand, if I play for 5 minutes and get pushed up to level 6 (assuming someone hit level 10) then I don't think that would be prone to abuse or hamper the other team, while letting me at least stand a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by realmikey
                        I understand your proposal Ender. Mine was a counter-proposal to keep the "yousucksohere'ssomeexp" type of experience. Personally, I find it useful. If I have to stay at level 1 for the entirety of a CO game just because I suck (at least for now, I hope) then that's not fun. On the other hand, if I play for 5 minutes and get pushed up to level 6 (assuming someone hit level 10) then I don't think that would be prone to abuse or hamper the other team, while letting me at least stand a chance.
                        How do you expect to get better though?

Like I said (and Para said). There is already an exp share system within CO.

Comment

I don't expect to get better by dying instantly to a shotty blast when I'm a level 1 alien versus a level 6 marine with armor 2 and an upgraded shotty. That won't give me a chance at getting kills.

And I do my best to stay near the good people. Remember, just the other day you were rather ticked at the end of a game in which I did just that, complaining that I was leeching off of the guy and now you guys didn't stand a chance.

The point is that a level 1 alien who isn't very good stands virtually NO chance at killing a level 6 marine. A level 4 alien stands a bit better chance. It lets me continue to try to learn tactics and practice, as opposed to getting wasted every time I see a marine.

I'm curious as to what the downside is if we implement scaling experience gains.

Comment

I disagree. My experience is that I have the opprotunity to try new things (cloaking and silence as opposed to leap and xeno) in learning to take down marines. And as a marine, it's the same deal. I don't stand a chance as a level 1 marine against a level 8 alien. If I get to try new things (either jetpack and hmg or heavy and shotty, or GL, whatever) then I 1) have more fun and 2) learn new tactics.

Again, i'm saying it should be a tiered system that allows you to remain somewhat competitive without giving you everything for free.

Oh, and I have played against Enigma...got raped. And I don't take combat seriously -- but it lets me practice skills for NS. Whether it's leap/bite or just xeno'ing as much as I can, CO is good practice for me. If it's not to be taken seriously, that's even another reason to leave the current system (or some sort of "free exp" system) on the server.

I really don't think any of the TG people sit in base while one great person goes out to earn them exp.

Comment

I've NEVER understood how leap/bite has EVER been considered a difficult manuvour to learn. Its just as easy as pistol whipping someone is.

Just thought I'd point that out.
                              --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X