Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sporadic timeouts

Steam is causing problems for me.

I would say Half-Life is the cause, but I get the exact same behavior in CS:S.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/s...hreadid=120359

That thread explains an experience that differs none than mine. I'll be in the middle of a game and just timeout. Machine is fine.. I can keep talking to people on TeamSpeak... everyone else on the server is fine.

I have no solution.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: sporadic timeouts

It occured to me that perhaps I should give it some time. So, I let it sit there for a bit this morning. I waited at least 60 seconds and nothing. That's unacceptable.

I've completely purged Steam, HL, and CS:S (in which this behavior also occured) from my system entirely.

I'm now re-downloading everything and re-installing.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

its a real pain in the ass, and its happened to me couple of times but not recently. Hope it doesnt happen again soon

Comment

I dont know if this applys to you, but I had the exact same wierdness happen to me. In my case there was two problems.

1) I had a keyboard with a sleep shortcut on it. Threre was a short in my keyboard and it would sporadicly crash my pc.

2) The inside of my pc was filled with dibris. A wierd mixture of lint and sig smoke. The kind of stuff that clings to everything, is slimy, and yet still has to be scraped off.

When I got a new keyboard from the manufacturer, and cleaned out my pc for the first time in 1.5 years everything not only worked fine but I got a 20 fps inprovement.
        "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Comment

I believe Wyz traced the problem down to some 'feature' in WinXP SP2
          --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

The "feature" is Wireless Zero Configuration, a "feature" of XP that scans for a wireless network every 60 seconds. I read reports of HL experiencing problems with connection losses as XP resets every connection on a system on which it is performing these scans... every time it performs the scan.

Disabling the service did not discontinue the objectionable behavior in my HL client.

I noticed a pattern with my timeouts. The frustration of each timeout is always accentuated by the fact that it is only after I finish relaying information via voice that I realize I'm timed out, my team didn't hear the information, and I'm no longer in the game.

So, it occured to me that voice seems always to be occuring when I time out.

I toggled 'voice_dsound' in my console (I don't remember what it was or what I changed it to) and I continue to cross my fingers. I played three long games last night after this change without timing out. I did have multiple instances of very short pauses (the kind that are over before you realize they're happening), but no time outs. Performance was acceptable and enjoyable.

Such stability will have to present itself for some time before I consider this problem resolved.

Comment

What does the voice_dsound toggle do?

Also, I thought I remembered reading on wireless that passive scanning is less intrusive than active scanning. There some info about that buried in the technical details at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10907. I don't know if it applies to your situation, but I found it educational.

Comment

I believe voice_dsound determines whether you use DirectSound (1) or Wave (0) for your voice sound driver. But I'm really not sure.

More timeouts tonight.

Glad I didn't throw a party. :(

This really does kill the game... completely.

Comment

Hmm...

My video card and sound card are sharing IRQ 21.

Windows XP would have me believe that all is well with IRQ Sharing, but.......

Comment

Seems worth investigating, if your drivers will allow you to experiment...

Comment

Well, it looks like XP won't let me screw with my IRQ settings, and I don't see anything helpful in my machine's BIOS.

... then, of course, there's the fact that I don't know IRQs to be the culprit.

Ugh.

Comment

It's a long shot, but maybe check this setting?

"The Plug and Play operating system settings in the computer BIOS do not generally affect how Windows XP handles the hardware. However, Microsoft recommends that you set the Plug and Play operating system setting to No or Disabled in the computer BIOS. For information about viewing or modifying the computer BIOS settings, see the computer documentation, or contact the computer manufacturer."

The article I lifted that from states that ACPI motherboards won't let you change the IRQ, and if you disable ACPI then you have to reinstall Windows to get it to allow you to change IRQs. Hardly seems worth that much of an effort.

Comment

I saw that last night and changed the BIOS setting, but, per what the article suggests, nothing changed (as I did not re-install Windows XP).

Comment

Okay then, this sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade all your hardware. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X