Your commander and you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your commander and you

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but you MUST under ANY circumstances follow orders from your commander. You do NOT know more about the current situation than the commander. You do NOT know what is going on elsewhere on the map. If you feel that there is something important IN YOUR IMMEDIATE VACINITY that the commander should know about, then report it. Unless it is able to be taken care of by you pointing your weapon at it, and firing, you *are not* to address the alleged problem without your commanders consent. If you must leave the room, and thus the group of marines that you are in, DO NOT engage in the activity.

When you are in heavy armor, you are NOT to run off in different directions. You are NOT to run into an OC filled room unless you have your heavy squad WITH YOU to provide welding support.

"Powerbuild that RT" is NOT an order to be followed at your own disgression, you are NOT to proceed to the next RT until the RT you were told to powerbuild has been built.

You are NOT to disobey an order such as "Proceed down the elevator at your waypoint to the viaduct area" and go to cargo hive instead! Waypoints are given for a REASON, and are to be considered especially important when the commander draws your attention to the waypoint him/herself. Under *no* circumstances are you to use map-wide tactics of your own, that is your commander's responsibility. Your tactical knowledge in the field is limited to a) making suggestions to your commander ("We could easily siege the hive from here"), b) determining the best route from point A to point B unless your commander issues a specific route, and c) securing a room by standing in positions which allow you the most firing time in event of an alien attack.

Those three things are as much tactical decisions as you are to make as a marine in the field. It is your commander's responsibility to make larger, map-wide tactical decisions.

Thank you.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Re: Your commander and you

Omg Ha Rambo FTW!

Comment

Unless that commander is Muffin, in which case, he's only ordering you to your death, in which case, you are allowed to completely ignore him and rambo to your heart's content.

Comment

Heh, thanks for the help Kruegar :P
        --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

I must say, I will often ignore a commander's order for the sole purpose of getting a new phase gate somewhere. Hell today on lost. Blackjackel was the com and he was ordering us through the phase gate to the cargo hive. I had noticed that we were getting hurt really badly on the other side and IMO another gun going through wasnt going to help any (since that gun was mine) so I took it upon myself to ninja my way into the equal hive. Since all the aliens were busy taking the marines out on the other side of the map (cargo), I managed to put the phase gate up and we did a nice rush on the other hive that was under defended.

I feel that if I didnt get that new phase gate up and continued to follow the coms orders (going to through phase gate to cargo hive) we wouldnt have won that game. I dont want to sound all ego and stuff, but it was a good alien team that had a lot of res. If we had failed the rush with out a back up plan, then we would of lost do to them rushing us right back.

I will often do this, and I have noticed that a lot of coms (namely wyz to name just one) will often catch me doing it and keep their eye on me knowing full well that I will get into or close to another hive and 90% of the time get the phase gate up.

I also feel that sometimes running off on your own, when done right, can really cripple the alien team since they're all going to be too distracted to notice that you're putting another phase gate down near a hive, or taking out their nodes or whatever.

Man this is a long ass post, didnt mean for it to be this long.

Comment

fine to run off on your own - but you'd better not die. period.

if you're at all lacking in confidence in your ninja and solo skills, be a body that dies on the other side of the pg. maybe you'll get another body through that can do something.
            Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

While I agree that some such tactics could be, and are useful, Ender, I stand by my statement that you must inform your commander, in the least, and preferably get consent.

(Wow thats a lot of commas...)
              --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Comment

Amen Lordflametide, amen...

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by lordflametide
                  While I agree that some such tactics could be, and are useful, Ender, I stand by my statement that you must inform your commander, in the least, and preferably get consent.

(Wow thats a lot of commas...)

I've never informed the com about me going and I have yet to get yelled at for it. I think that most coms can tell whether a marine is just being definite, or trying to get something going.

And TBH, if there are 2 skulks and a fade standing right at a phase gate trying to take it out, me phasing through isnt going to matter. All I will be is just more res for who ever kills me. At least instead of me just phasing through and getting killed, I can at least try and move onto another hive.

Its about judging, I dont do it all the time. But I do it with no hesitation and sorry, but I dont get the coms permission to do it as he is usually busy doing something else. If I make it, then sweet for us, we get another phase gate down, if I dont then its no real disadvantage for us.

Comment

Depends on how many players are on the team. if its 7 or 8, sure, we can spare you for a possible bonus. This particular post, however, was provoked by a marine who was a royal pain in my ass in a 5v5 setting, in which marines had dominant control (at the moment) and everyone was suited up in heavy armor, weapons, and welders. So yes, its situational. =)
                    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Comment

Then you should of kicked said player :)

Comment

Yes, he should have. I've personally instructed him to do so in the future.

Suffice it to say this isn't a widespread problem. Most people realize how much they appreciate the server, and some don't.

History has shown that those who both don't genuinely appreciate the server and choose to frequent it anyway are eventually removed.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

In my opinion marines are almost like lemmings. Commander says "Go to double" you go. It's a pain to the team to fight with the comm and say "It's lost, go for a hive". Going off on your own is fine if you are experienced enough, but as a good, general rule Commander > all when it comes to decisions.

Occasionally a marine will start giving directions from the field. This is positively acceptable because the Comm can't micromanage things like "You build I'll cover" but beyond that the marine is out of line. Too often I've seen a marine undermine the Comm's authority and give out directions with his limited intel and ruin the game.

That said, when I Comm I do appreciate the extra help if my microphone comes in fuzzy ;).

Comment

Your commander is not your god. IF you think you are consistently good at ramboing/ have good aim you should be allowed to rambo. Ramboing helps out the team in a way that people don't see. I rambo all the time and becuase of it I put more pressure on the alien team, solo kill res towers, and cause choas on the map. I also rambo in order to save our res towers that are slowly being eatten off by skulks. All in all a good rambo will make the commanders job less stressful.

Comment

Less stressful? I Disagree. While your tactics are useful, they are much like Ender's. They should only occur if we can spare the man. But if I'm making an assault in 5v5 or 6v6, I want everyone together.
                              --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X