Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of this idea (new playtester system)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of this idea (new playtester system)

http://www.natural-selection.org/for...ST&f=5&t=85067

Well, the vet system has failed horribly (from what ive read)

and the constallation system didnt do that well with playtesting, is what i feel flayra felt after he let constallation members betatest the game...

Many constallation members would post useless and time-wasting whining and chatter about how they hated this and hated that, with no foresight behind how their posts would help flayra make a better game....

I suggest a solution to solve this problem, a new playtester system to replace the VET system. I Guess this system dosent have to replace the original playtester system either... so you can be an original playtester, and a new playtester.

Anyways, to get into the new playtester system, you must write a full essay on natural selection having to do with analogys relating to natural-selection. Subjects may be politics, philosophy,etc....

Maybe even technical plans (a crunchsheet worth of numbers to balance the game or something) may be accepted....

Basically, an intelligent and mature effort would have to be shown by the applicant for him to be accepted into the new system, in addition... New playtester members would have to agree to and abide by a set of rules and regulations designated on maturity, posting on the forum about betatesting, and other issues...

Rights to the new playtesting may be revoked at any time for any reason, for such a simple reason as making an immature and unhelpfull post in the playtester/betatester forum.

This willl help insure flayra gets a mature and respectable, reliable, and usefull playerbase that he can add to his arsenal of tools to help improve natural-selection. Thereby ensuring future forum posts will be mature and well thought out.

Comments? Suggestions? Lets keep it maure now folks wink-fix.gif
    Prejudice sucks:
    Do not judge me by my past, for I have changed.

DarkHunter == Blackjackel.

Re: What do you guys think of this idea (new playtester system)

I'm reminded of Plato's philosopher king.

The philosopher, whose true love is knowledge, would make the perfect ruler, as reason and truth would be the dictating factor in all decisions. The trick is of course, the philosophers wouldn't want the job, because they know their true calling is knowledge.

The erudite people you seek aren't generally the types of people who would be lining up to write essays and beta test a buggy build, because they would want to do something else with their time. Games are usually an outlet from stuff like "essays" and "work", not something to be included within.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Obviously, you have taken philosophy 1 (possibly even 2)

Man, i both hated and loved reading plato's republic.

Anyways, in response, i had already thought of that...

You dont want the playtester base to be huge now would you? This is simply a safeguard to keep it low, the few that do provide something intelligent will contribute greatly to the community in teh end.
      Prejudice sucks:

Comment

Actually, I majored in Philosophy. :) I have no less than three copies of The Republic within arm's reach.

I wouldn't want the PT base to be overly large, no, but at the same time, you need to realize that this isn't just a passive filter along the lines of Cheating Death, where the requirement alone will weed out some undesireables. Theoretically, someone's gotta READ these essays.

The NS crew would probably be better served taking this idea and applying it to exisiting artifacts: the ns.org forum posts. From just reading those, it's fairly simple to tell who has their head screwed on right and who doesn't. Make a list of candidates, and ask them to PT. No need to open the floor to the unwashed masses.
        [volun2]
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

What you described is how the playtester system works right now. PTs that make intelligent posts on the forums and have demonstrated an ability to think and present ideas in a clear concise manner usually get Playtester: I know, that's how I got it.

Comment

Certainly it wasn't that. Your dashing good looks coupled with your humility are the real unstoppable combination. :)
            [volun2]

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
              Your dashing good looks coupled with your humility are the real unstoppable combination. :)
              That seems to get me nowhere.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                Certainly it wasn't that. Your dashing good looks coupled with your humility are the real unstoppable combination. :)
                Cute. :) Nowhere did I say anyone had to agree with said posts, but their presentation and sustance are what matters.

Comment

Yes, sustance is key.

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that a similar system is already in place.

I only wish i get selected, back when I was betatesting 3.0 along with the other constallation members, i gave my feedback and helped out as much as i could on IRC. Its too bad that all those other immature constallation members that got into constallation just to play combat ruined it for the rest of us =/

Maybe a referral system could be implemented =)
                    Prejudice sucks:

Comment

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that the developers consider the constellation playtesting a failure. It served its purpose. At the time there were a lot of new features being added that had to be tested on a large scale.

While the feedback from some constellation member may have been an annoyance to the developers, I don't think playtesting privileges for the members were ever revoked. The need for consti playtesters simply came to an end with the public release of the NS 3.0 beta.

There have been a few brief consti playtests since NS 3.0 was made public, but I donít think NS is at a stage where the closed testing needs as large a sample as it once did. At the time, they were adding a new game mode if you recall.
                      Steam Community: | |

Comment

blackjackel just fyi Flarya is barely involved with anything in our current NS.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          Yes, sustance is key.

:)

Subtle jibe for the win!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed