resolved: one of many lag issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resolved: one of many lag issues

I've been battling MANY issues lately with my HL client.

First, my ISP is having major problems, but we're working through that.

But even when my connectivity seemed solid elsewhere, HL seemed to constantly hiccup during melees. My ping would spike to 300, sometimes 500, for no apparent reason. And as quickly as it would jump up, it would return to 50.

I had to enable "net_graph 2" to really figure out what was going on, as the graph gave me a history of the last few seconds, which clearly showed the repeating pattern.

I determine the cause to be the fact that my network interface and sound card were sharing the same IRQ. As Windows XP will not let me change IRQs, I tonight installed a second network interface and disabled my first network interface. The first interface is ethernet, but it wires into a wireless bridge, so it's wireless as far as network performance is concerned. The second interface is a wireless USB device.

When I disabled the first (ethernet) interface and enabled the second (wireless USB) interface, I was able to play for well over an hour without a single hiccup. My ping never left the fifties (above or below), and network performance was flawless.

This pleases me. I'll simply use the USB network interface for gaming and I'll be in great shape.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: resolved: one of many lag issues

IRQ sharing (and XPs terrible habit of not letting you alter it from within the Windows GUI) is the #1 cause of game issues really. Normally its an add-in sound card and the video card, but sound/network or network/video are common as well. Add-in SCSI/RAID/SATA cards also do the same. You can usually change it in the BIOS however.

Comment

Well.. this just proves one thing.... Canadians are evil. I'm sorry, but it just had to be said.

Thank you, come again.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
        Well.. this just proves one thing.... Canadians are evil. I'm sorry, but it just had to be said.

Thank you, come again.
        not that I am going to disagree, but where are cannadians involved here? they invented irq sharing? sweet.
        --
        CaveDog
        "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Originally posted by CaveDog
          they invented irq sharing?
          ummm... ok we can go with that...

Comment

Wyz, i might be of some help in lending my software/hardware expertise, i know a way where you can change the irqs around so they dont screw with eachother.

Most motherboards assign IRQ based on slot positions, some slots might share IRQs while others might have completely different irq's than everything else, some dont even assign irqs based on slots.... it depends on your motherboard manufacturer.

A simple solution around your IRQ problems would be to shut down, remove your soundcard and place it in a PCI slot far far away from where it was placed, switch it around till the IRQ changes, if it does not, then you will need to do the following:

Go to device manager...

open computer

It should say ACPI uniprocessor or multiprocessor PC or Advanced configuration and power interface (ACPI) PC

rightclick that, click properties

click drive tab

click update driver

check "install from a specified location"

check "dont search, i will choose the driver to install"

Scroll down and pick "standard pc"

When you reboot, windows should give you the option to change your IRQ's now, and you can shift them around as you like.

The previous step will be necissary for this step:

If the above step does not work, you need to do additional tweaking to switch around your IRQ. You must go into your bios and disable "assign IRQ to VGA" and disable "assign irq to sound" or look at other options that allow you to change your IRQ inside your bios.

I hope i helped =)
            Prejudice sucks:
            Do not judge me by my past, for I have changed.

DarkHunter == Blackjackel.

Comment

Just tell your BIOS that you do NOT have a PnP OS and the BIOS will take care of all the irq's etc. This way you shouldn't have any problems, and your windows wont be allowed to screw it up.

Comment

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I don't have all of the details, but I've done a lot of reading in the last few weeks and read many web pages that suggested much of what was said in the two previous posts is incorrect.

If you've read this thread and plan on acting on it, please Google some of the terms in the last two posts and educate yourself about these moves. They can, in the long run, be more problematic, I've read, than one might think going in.

Again, don't ask me for details, but be sure to do the research yourself if you're going to be changing stuff (which I'm not -- my problem is solved).
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X