Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commanders building base

commander: "EVERYONE out of base, ill build base"

I hear this many times on the server and I donít understand why commanders think itís a good idea for them to be building the starting ip, armory, ect.

Here is a list of reasons why itís a bad idea for commanders to be building base.

* Commanders should be watch marines in the field at all times ready to give out meds and ammo, they canít do this when building the ip in base.

* If marine start gets rushed and the comm. gets killed out of the chair, this slows down the marine game and could even loose the game.

* The comm. building slows down the marine early game in general. (even 2 marines building base gets you armor 1 that much faster)

At the start of the game the commander should just assign 1 person (or more) to build the ip, armory and then what branch of tech the commander wants. Also the 1 person building base can defend vs. any skulks that base rush.

The commander in the chair is worth a lot more than 1 extra marine in the field durning the first minute of the game.

Also one more point on commanding, spend your starting res! I often see commanders not spend the starting 100 res on anything until its 1-2 min into the game, the resources are doing no good just sitting there when they could be getting upgrades. The only reason a comm. would delay the spending of the starting res would be to electrify nodes and even that is kind of iffy.

LazyEye

Re: Commanders building base

Good call. I'd like to add that you need to listen to the commander when he says "one stay and build, the rest leave."

If someone calls being the base builder do not help him build when you spawn. Just leave and get out in the field. If the commander tells you to stay and build: then do it. But always remember the coms last order and work to full-fill it.

I can't tell you the number of times people have spawned and started helping me build base. We don't need two people building an armory. One is enough.

Comment

I think in 8 vs. 8 games this is true. However, with smaller teams this should be reconsidered. Especially when I want the better players in the field, I tell people to get the heck out.

Also, on some of the larger maps that people hate, I need all the people I can out there exploring.

Maybe I should start the match with "Will the least experienced player please stay home to build."

Comment

And we got LazyEye to post. Go us. :)

I don't know. I personally am not a big fan of building base myself when I comm, as I have the CC's padding perfectly contoured to my butt at this point. But on some maps, I think the base is conducive enough to allow a commander to build and defend while an extra marine is out in the field. Metal comes immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Three marines can drop an alien node or build a node for me faster than two can, and in the early game, I can see that advantage being appealing. It might not get you armor 1 as quickly, but it could give you some bonus res to play with while you're waiting on the arms lab.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

It's a calculated risk. Having an extra marine in the field can (and often does) give marines the field domination they need early in the game (especially if that extra marine is gorge hunting in the first 45 seconds of the game).

It's also a skill that must be learned, building the early base while meeting the needs of marines in the field. It adds variety to games, that's for sure. Natural Selection definately thrives on variety. Yeah, sometimes you get nailed for doing it, but sometimes you do everything right and your marines can't shoot the broad side of the barn. There's a lot of chance to it all. Sometimes my sending an extra marine into the field early gives us the momentum that carries us to a quick victory and sometimes it results in a 90 second alien victory. But it rarely feels stale.

On some maps, it's just too easy (ns_veil). On other maps, it's asking for trouble (ns_hera).

I'll try not to build base when you're on my team. Sometimes it's nice to just sit in the comfy chair. :)
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

As Wyz mentioned, having the extra marine(s) in the field can make all of the difference early on.

Personally, I like to have just one person stay in base and build while everyone swarms out, but there are some maps where even that one person is a luxury and is not so necessary.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

As long as the comm is watching the minimap at the same time and drops nodes, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's probably a better idea in smaller games when you need every last marine to be moving out in order to cover the map, but in larger ones it probably does do more harm than good. In most maps it's very difficult for a skulk to kill the comm while he builds when that many marines are heading out from all the entrances.

Comment

Watching the minimap is one of those learned skills. You can command just as well from outside the chair as you can from inside the chair (well, almost as well... you can see the map, but you can't hear it). Not until you must assist your marines is the chair critical. There just isn't THAT much assisting necessary in the first 45 seconds of the game.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  There just isn't THAT much assisting necessary in the first 45 seconds of the game.
                  I agree, if you are dropping health/ammo within the first push, you've got problems.

I don't do this myself, mainly because I don't consider myself a good enough comm/multitasker, but for most maps, you can pretty safely drop the first two nodes and then build. (pretty much all maps that have 2 ways out of marine spawn, which is most maps)
                  --
                  CaveDog
                  "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

I R TEH BEASTEST BUILDER EVAR!!!
                    NO1 CAN BUILDER BEASTER TAN MEH!!!

Im usually the one guy that stays behind, and its much faster if one guy stays and builds, because the rest are getting res from the comm... Cant drop res if theirs no comm...
                    Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
                      I R TEH BEASTEST BUILDER EVAR!!!
                      NO1 CAN BUILDER BEASTER TAN MEH!!!

Im usually the one guy that stays behind, and its much faster if one guy stays and builds, because the rest are getting res from the comm... Cant drop res if theirs no comm...

drop 2 nearest nodes to the rine base, and continue to build :). Ive noticed having comm build and all rines on the field is more favourable for the marines.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X