TG has only ONE fundamental rule...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG has only ONE fundamental rule...

i used to remember how when we're aliens, we always gather-up at a certain place and attack together. and some with marines. nowadays, our teamwork has downed really bad...i'm thinking that if the pubs see the way we're playing right now...it will cripple our reputation as matured and team-based players.

i just want to remind you guys that this community is team-based. so please keep the "non-tactical" gamings in the pub servers. thank you.

Quite frankly I havn't noticed this at all. Every full game that I've played in the last few months, barring a few execptions have been excellent displays of at least decent teamwork.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

While we could debate how well we're doing, it can only be a good thing to keep what Nightfire has said in the front of our heads when we're playing.

Wyzcrak
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Although the teamwork which was once present is no longer there, generally speaking people still listen and cooperate, thats what matters. Also the game seems more fast paced nowadays and I feel having people spread around for recon is a good thing.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Re: ...

Originally posted by Polska
          Although the teamwork which was once present is no longer there, generally speaking people still listen and cooperate, thats what matters. Also the game seems more fast paced nowadays and I feel having people spread around for recon is a good thing.
          any server can listen and cooperate, but the fact we practice real teamwork like before is what sets us different.

Comment

Re: ...

Originally posted by Nightfire
            Any server CAN listen and cooperate
            Yes that's true, but for the most part, pub servers are full of rambos who generally don't listen and just want toys (at least from my experience). Anyway, I do realise that TG is known for teamwork. I just feel it is not as crucial anymore (at least for aliens). There is still teamwork there but perhaps not on a scale it used to exist on, which I feel is not really needed.

Marines on the other hand still need good teamwork, and as far as regulars go, the teamwork is still there as marines.

Maybe you are seeing a lack of teamwork as a result of some of the new people who enter the server. For example today, a marine who did not listen to a word i said (comm for that game). He constantly ramboed and just asked for toys. Whenever I would leave the chair he would pop in to drop himself guns and jetpacks or HA and would go off to die on his own.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with you. Bottom line teamwork is good :).

What I enjoy most about tg, is the fact that marines listen to their commander (and he listens to them). Same goes for the aliens, people think about their team, not just themselves.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

i used to remember how when we're aliens, we always gather-up at a certain place and attack together. and some with marines. nowadays, our teamwork has downed really bad...i'm thinking that if the pubs see the way we're playing right now...it will cripple our reputation as matured and team-based players.
              I believe the first part doesnt occur to often because while mass groups are powerful, it leaves to much of the map open to abuse. Alien grouping used to be brutally effective, but that was like the first 2 months we used it. Towards the end it just didnt pay because of the often terrible consequences of such a maneuver. eg: Your entire force gets wiped out leaving your assets defenseless and the opposing team sweeping across the map and laying waste; in a worse case scenario.

Personally I'd say our teamwork has increased greatly, especially as the game and the community evolves. Instead of being fairly rigid like before, grouping up and moving as one, we have small groups of 2-3 and individuals moving about in a more...fluidic? fashion. But I suppose it all boils down to oppinion.

Comment

i hope tactical gaming is still retained. i'm just not feeling the amount of team-work like we used to have.

Comment

Eclipse has a point. Proximae was the first to find a major flaw with my skulk herding techniques. He taught me that coordination and communication does not necessarily mean everyone has to be in the same spot. However, everyone has to be sharing information and ideas. That's what breeds success. While there are games here where one or both teams don't follow that mindset, I'm glad to say, at least when the server isn't full of pubs, that lack of teamwork is the exception, not the norm here.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think that's more of a byproduct of the depressed playercounts recently, Nightfire (and I believe it's far less evident for marines). 6-8 people on a team can form some nasty groups as aliens.

But with 3-4 people on aliens, grouping up is barely an option, much less a RECOMMENDED tactic; especially if you wanted a decent game.
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Exactly. While the Wyzcrak Skulk Train of Death was something to fear in 1.04, those things have changed in 2.0.

The marines were more "anchored" in 1.04. They built big bases and turret farms that were much more well fortified. They operated out of a large, central location.

Things have changed. Just last night, Polska had us slip in a hive, build siege, and destroy the hive. He then recycled the turrets. We were in an out in a matter of minutes.

I've encountered this tactic many times, as well as the JP/Shotgun rush. A skulk train just doesn't work anymore. You need a group of aliens who are all over the map in constant communication. Only on large base assaults should you gather up a group of aliens.

The marines, however, still work together really well.

So Roger, your point is moot using the 2.0 logic. I do, however, miss the days of the good ol' skulk train.

The teamwork for the aliens isn't really gone...it's just that grouping up has been replaced with heightened communication.

Comment

I think that the teamwork on the marine side is as good as ever, but for some time I have felt that alien teamwork was lacking. For some reason, since there is no 'commander' on the aliens, they all think they can do their own thing. There is far less communication, less coordination (which is important if no one person is calling the shots), and more and more skulks just dying by themselves. 2 skulks and a gorge can almost walk the map, yet they rarely team up. :(

I would like to see the alien side rise up to the marine's level.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

And just as soon as the scattershot alien tactics STOP winning games about 60% of the time, the alien level will rise, Tempus. :)
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                            I would like to see the alien side rise up to the marine's level.
                            Well, fwiw, I'M TRYING. Miko, the skulk trains still happen, but they just come together, do their job, and disband in a FRACTION of the time that it used to take. The problem is... GETTING PEOPLE TO MOVE THAT QUICKLY. The glory of it is that the marines don't see it coming as predictably as they did in 1.x, because the timing is never the same as the last train.

One of the reasons I'm so successful as a commander is because I make you marines bust your butt all over the map, and it's hard for the aliens to keep up. I'm TRYING to foster the same speed when it comes to alien leadership, but it's exTREMEly difficult to get people to listen to me when I'm playing aliens. Maybe the increased effectiveness of lone aliens over lone marines results in invidual players being more absorbed with events on their screen when I speak to them as an alien compared to me speaking to them as a marine, but people certainly respond MUCH more sluggishly to teamwork when you're aliens (on average, blah blah blah there are exceptions to every rule).

Anyway, you guys who are looking for teamwork and/or leadership on the alien side, perk your ears up when you're on my alien team. I've ALWAYS got SOMETHING cooking, even if it's nothing more than a call for suggestions.

Wyzcrak

Comment

Point taken, Wyz. Thinking back, I remember that game we played together recently on (er. That map with fusion reactor, waste handling, and SatCom hives), where me and you were constantly calling for an alien gathering to take out the marines building next to our base, but everyone continued to wander about like lost children.

So maybe teamwork isn't up to par. But the games I played last night went well as aliens (Billybob, Kitfox, and OP8 were on my team, amongst others). We worked really well as a team, and ended up pulling together and forcing the Polska Death Force to recycle their whole base (Well, maybe it was due to a pesky marine on his team...but still :D ).

Bottom Line: Alien games should be played as we played ours last night: Spread out, but in constant communication. That seems to work the best.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X