Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 FINAL - Release on Saturday

Check the front page:

It's finally ready. NS 3.0 (final) will be released to the public on Saturday, March 5th. If you would like to mirror any files after we release, submit your mirrored file here.

Thus, we conclude a long and colorful product cycle with a as we believe very worthy batch of features and updates. For details, read the changelog since NS 3.0 Beta 5.

The development of 3.0 saw a number of personnel changes on the extended team. We'd like to take the opporunity to thank Max "maxwell" McGuire, Spencer "voogru" MacDonald, Tom "ElvenThief" Grim, as well as the trainees, contributors, testers, and other volunteers we worked with during this version's development, including those who had to move on.

We, specifically myself, would also like to thank Greb "Wither" in den Berken and Jim "JazzX" Olson for taking over on managing the Playtester program, as well as Nicolas "Marik_Steele" Winocur for taking the community management position, thus allowing me to concentrate on my role as project manager on the NS team.

Special thanks go to NiteOwl, whom we have to thank for our outstanding new manual (to be released shortly).

NS 3.0 is in many ways an end to an era and marks a reorientation of big parts of our development procedure. As a first marker of this, I'd like to welcome Petter "tankefugl" Roennigen on the team. Petter, an outstanding programmer, and first of a number of trainees to become a full developer, will help us in creating the future of Natural Selection.

It's been a crazy ride so far and we're just getting started. We're glad to have you with us.
    Apparently they're skipping right past Beta 6 and shoving the full release right out the door. They said they were getting close, but geez... I guess I stopped taking them seriously quite some time ago :icon_lol:

Re: 3.0 FINAL - Release on Saturday

Mirror on TG for us members to not have to wait forever? pa pa pa please?
    USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
      Mirror on TG for us members to not have to wait forever? pa pa pa please?
      Plan on it. It'll be in the members download area the moment I get my hands on it.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
        Apparently they're skipping right past Beta 6 and shoving the full release right out the door. They said they were getting close, but geez... I guess I stopped taking them seriously quite some time ago :icon_lol:
        Seems a bit silly to me to go straight to "3.0 final" and skipping an open beta as they have been doing in the past. Seeing as "3.0 final" and "b6" are just names all they are doing is saying "what we release on Saturday is what we consider to be release quality"... and if it isn't, well, what the public perceives as the NS team's standard of quality may be negatively impacted. IMHO, unless they really want to attempt to halt development of NS in order to focus on their other projects (an unrealistic expectation, I think), calling it b6 or b7 would have been a better way to go.

...or maybe I'm just a bitter old ex-software developer. ;)
        Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

I'll also post a mirror on here for people to download from. Cant frikin wait!!!!!!!
          birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Well, it has been in semi-public testing with the consties for, what, a month now? Obviously an open test would have been a little bit better to fine-tune it but I think the build is close enough that there won't be any serious issues. Minor stuff can be fixed in 3.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
              Well, it has been in semi-public testing with the consties for, what, a month now? Obviously an open test would have been a little bit better to fine-tune it but I think the build is close enough that there won't be any serious issues. Minor stuff can be fixed in 3.1.
              I guess my problem with the name is that "3.0 final" implies, well, that it's final. Of course, in this day and age of constant patching, it really means "we'll fix the showstoppers in 3.01".
              Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

All it means is that it's an official client release as opposed to a beta. Not necessarily "final," especially in this case since they've already announced 3.1...

Comment

Does this mean it will be a steam download?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Probably not, I think that ball is in Valve's court but I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting for an official release to do that. There hasn't been any word on it yet though.

Comment

Oh he-he-heck ya!!!
                      Oyee

Comment

Wyz, can we ditch unchained chambers for good with 3.0 Final? This time there really is variety in upgrade paths, which means that unchained actually lessens the variety in alien gameplay. Also, I think it might really be overpowered this time now that each of the chambers have enough perks to stand on their own. Continuing to use unchained just really isn't doing justice to the fixes aliens got in B6, and I think they're better off without it now.

Comment

http://tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=14463

You know I'll put unchained back on the server only if there's popular demand for it.

You know how I feel about unchained. I hope it doesn't again add value, but I'll put it on the server if it fills a void in gameplay.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

From deep inside the ns.com forums:
                            Originally posted by Nemesis Zero
                            As for a timescale, we can' be too sure. I hope for something in the early American evening, but untold last-minute slipups can move that into any direction.

Comment

An unofficial comment about the My Games ETA:
                              Originally posted by Nemesis Zero
                              [NS integration with the My Games menu] will likely not happen before 3.1 (yes, .1), for reasons of coordination, and to give us another motivation for keeping that development cycle short.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X