anybody else with a geforce 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody else with a geforce 4?

I recently switched from an old ATI card (a Radeon 7200) to a GeForce 4 Ti 4200. I was wondering whether anyone else out there uses this card and, if so, what kind of framerates you're getting at what video settings. I seem to get a pretty consistent framerate regardless of what resolution I run at, which I find pretty strange... I've tried 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and both 16- and 32-bit colour. All combinations of settings appear to give me about the same fps. (My "benchmark" was informally starting up a local server on ns_hera, going to ventilation hive and looking from the hive to the wall, with the rotating fan in view) I'm using the OpenGL HL driver, the 61.77 Nvidia driver (not the latest version, since the latest appears to be slightly bugged for certain apps), and net_graph 1 for measuring fps. I don't understand why I get the same fps regardless of video setting... am I missing something or is this what I should expect?

BTW, I am getting between 30-60 fps in that particular part of ns_hera. Also, my fps_max is set to 100.
    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Re: anybody else with a geforce 4?

If vsynch is on (and it defaults to being on), you won't be able to get above 60fps. If you use r_speeds 1 (along with developer 1) you can see the actual time in ms it takes the game to render a frame. Getting the same fps is likely a result of your video card actually being able to handle many more.

You might be able to disable vsynch in your video card's settings.

Comment

I used to play with a GeForce3 Ti-200, and got pretty good FPS. Something's wrong there..

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Sounds like your performance is CPU-bound.

Comment

I have a 5200. Isn't that a GeForce 4? Anyway, my net_graph regularly reports 200 fps. I've been told HL can't break 100fps. meh. I'm more than satisfied with the card's performance.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've seen a Ge Force 4 440 go (laptop) provide 40-60 fps in heavy fighting. Your card should perform better than that.

Try the omega drivers: http://www.omegadrivers.net/ I've had good luck with them using Nvidia and ati cards.
            Rm 14:2 NIV
            One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

Try and shut that off, and report back to us. I'll bet it fixes your issues! With all of the NVidia card I've had, vsync always has to be disabled with Halflife.
              birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss
                With all of the NVidia card I've had, vsync always has to be disabled with Halflife.
                Vsync is disabled on my nVidia card.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Be careful with the omega drivers. On ATI anyways, they broke NS. I got effects like this:
                  http://rtfo.org/~al/share/ns/ns_nancy0001.jpg

And terrible framerates if there were a lot of buildings or players.

Comment

oh my god.. they are straving the armories! someone quick get that armory some humping.

i had a ti4200. it should run decent, mine didnt cuz i had a bad cpu.
                    whats your cpu? and how much ram

i hated the card tbh, then it broke and i got a ati 9600. much better :p i get 200fps (amd 64 2800+ cpu tho :p)

edit: i hate that ugly pick smilie ::disables them::

Comment

I'd like to know how you folks are getting over 100fps... it was my understanding that the HL engine only supported up to 100...
                      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_al
                        Be careful with the omega drivers. On ATI anyways, they broke NS. I got effects like this:
                        http://rtfo.org/~al/share/ns/ns_nancy0001.jpg

And terrible framerates if there were a lot of buildings or players.
                        Now that's an armory I WOULDN'T hump... ;)

Comment

I've been told the HL engine only supports 100 fps. To have net_graph tell you you're getting more, set these two commands:

developer 1
                          fps_max 200 (or 300, or 27400... whatever)

Perhaps it only supports 100fps. I dunno. Bottom line? I'm most pleased dropping FROM 200fps TO 110 fps during major battles, as opposed to dropping from 99fps to 75fps.

Comment

Cool, thanks for all the tips. Turning off vsync allowed me to occasionally break the 60fps barrier (makes sense) but I'm still getting non-stellar performance overall. I'm convinced that RandomGuy is on the right track- my performance problem is not related to the video card. I'm running on an old AMD Athlon 1.3Ghz with 768M of RAM but I suspect the big problem is that I haven't defragged in YEARS so I think my page files are probably hugely fragmented.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips.
                            Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

If you haven't defragmented in years, you need to prioritize that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X