Self Improvement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Improvement

In order to make it a more enjoyable experience in TG and anywhere else, and in light of the recent posts about attitude etc I had an idea.

Say one thing that you realize you can improve on (not skill wise) and one you think someone else on TG can improve on. Sometimes we have tendencies that we don't notice, and a polite and mature reminder of this could go a long way.

Please dont take this the wrong way, part of the reason I play on TG is because I know we all can handle mature criticism.

For nix, I don't like how he quits when he anticipates the team losing. Its a small but annoying trait that I've seen not just in him, but in lots of people. Staying for the whole game, really giving a good fight can be much more enjoyable even if you lose in the end anyway. If you take down two fades and an onos in the process and force the alien team to really use teamwork to win, its just more satisfying.

For me, I am an attention grabber. Sometimes I talk too much about myself and make dumb posts at 1:00AM and regret it in the morning, because it really is about me and doesn't contribute to TG.

Re: Self Improvement

nix, as in Fe- nix? Seriously, just come right out and say it. I don't need anyone beating around the bush on my behalf.

As for me F4ing out of the chair during certain games, there's a few specific circumstances I'll do that in. If I feel the aliens don't deserve that kill because their win was only attributed to my marines not following orders: I just won't give them the satisfaction. People Onosing in a 4 vs 4 when no heavies have hit the ground.

I especially enjoy doing it wen the alien teamwork is great at the beginning, then falls apart at endgame. They work so hard individually, not as a team to kill base: and when they finally do, I strip them of a complete victory. Makes me feel like a big man.

Comment

Fenix just sux... he needs to work on his all-around suckiness... :D

I think I get aggitated too quickly... Things piss me off that shouldn't... so if I randomly go off on someone, then ignore me and laugh at me... it'll make me more mad and I'll probably leave... :D

-Mom
      Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

NOTE: I love the idea of this thread, and it seems to be rooted in good intentions, but we humans tend to get kinda irky when it comes to criticism. If we're posting in this thread, our goal with each post is HELPING someone else in a manner in which they can find VALUE without taking offense they see as undue. If in this thread we too much choose otherwise or attempt this and fail, I'll baleeeeeeet the whole affair.

If we succeed, nothing will happen to the thread.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I love you Wyz... you're my hero...

:D :D

-Mom
          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

I wasn't accusing you Fenix, nix249 or whatever his handle is...I use full names as much as possible so there is no confusion.

If you recognize these traits in yourself regardless of whether I pointed it out or not, don't be offended. You don't even have to reply. Just keep it in the back of your mind and try to 'correct' it just once.

Whether or not it is your natural reaction to be offended by any of these comments (which no one can change in any way), it is maturity that will allow this thread and its intentions to actually help. Think of it as a self-help seminar. If you don't like whats being said about you, voice it! But do it in a mature manner. Thats all I'm asking. I don't want this to become a "well i hate X because blah blah blah.
            I want this to be a "X can improve himself or his relations with others by doing blah blah blah".

Yes there is a fine line between the two, but there is a big difference, and intelligent criticism + mature handling of being critized can be very powerful.

Comment

I know full-well my own gaming quirks and attitudes and will never take offense at someone pointing them out to me. I won't always defend my actions, but I will explain them.

Comment

<-- Needs more of a backbone when he commands, Ill admit that Ive gotten better as a fade but I dont want to get cocky about it... the more I go fade the less likely someone else will fade and improve.

I wish fenix stopped taking everything so personaly :-p
                USAR

Comment

My aiming skills are weak right now. You'd be surprised how much they can atrophy in a year off from FPS gaming. I played a bit of CS:Source recently and still held my own (I generally led my team), but I know I was playing with players below the level of my old crew, and that I was not nearly as sharp as I used to be. In NS, against you guys, I frequently feel that I blew a 1v1 or other situation because of poor aim. It's rapidly improving, but I apologize if you've ghosted me recently and thought "dude...verbose used to be good..." Do note that the "thinking" side of my playing is better than ever though :)

Wyzcrak, when you get frustrated, and you're often more than justified when you are, your anger sometimes is displaced on others. Like last night, after our alien loss, when you went off on the fella with the name "you know, I probably do suck" or whatever it was. Sure, it was a bad name and he needed to change it, but man you assaulted him :) I was a little afraid to call you out though. Well, now I'm doing it :P I don't want to see you scare off any of the players you work so hard to recruit. Please take constructively.
                  "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by verbose
                    I was a little afraid to call you out
                    Of my many measurable traits in my role as Game Officer here, this is the one of which I am least proud, and it is the reason why I most value those regulars who can get in my face and respectfully bring to my attention imperfections in my performance, whatever they may be.

I could justify last night, but there are other instances which no less strongly make your very valid point. I snapped sharply at Oscar just the other night for a seven-minute hive delayed by circumstances I considered insufficient in his excuse. Yes, my complaints were valid and he stood to take value from what I was frustratedly (is that a word?) saying, but my tone was inappropriate (even to me at that moment -- I think I briefly attempted amends). For me to have an innappropriate tone is MUCH worse than for someone else to have an inappropriate tone because there's no me to come along and correct me.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Okay, I'll give this a shot. Keep in mind, when I say your name, it's better I call your attention to something that irks me (and possibly others) than I just grumble about it to myself and let things build up. Also, I take criticism towards me very good, shoot.

attrition: Okay, every now and again you tend to say - very publicly - "my whole team sucks" or something to that effect. Now, I don't just say that because of times I've been on your team and got offended, I've been on the opposing side and still seen it. I find that: A.) it is very demeaning to your team and it's a great way to start grudges against you B.) it doesn't help. Instead I would suggest you try to be open with your team on what went wrong, when something should have happened, and who was in the wrong in those situations. I'll cite Wyz as being a good example of, when the game is "over" but not over, opening up the floor to comments as to what went wrong. Cheer up, man, you can be a downer every now and again but it's really with (or against) you.

centr0: You can be way too serious about the game, even combat. I understand you take it from a competitive standpoint, and that's fine, but you should lighten up a little. The game's not fun for anyone when it stops being a game and starts being yelling and screaming madness. Just sit back and mess around every now and again.

I know I could improve on skill, but micr0 said not to focus on that. I definately could spend my res better, sometimes I get stuck with 60 res and don't know what to do. I wind up dropping uneeded chambers and resource towers that can't be defended. I would go fade but I'm terrible so I try and avoid getting yelled at. On top of that, I rarely pay full attention to the game. I'm getting a little better, but people used to have to yell things 3 times before I'd do it.

All the above should be taken with a grain of salt (except what I said about me) and hopefully considered. I'm not trying to shoot anyone down in public, and just rememver who it's all coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by verbose
                        Wyzcrak, when you get frustrated, and you're often more than justified when you are, your anger sometimes is displaced on others. Like last night, after our alien loss, when you went off on the fella with the name "you know, I probably do suck" or whatever it was. Sure, it was a bad name and he needed to change it, but man you assaulted him :) I was a little afraid to call you out though. Well, now I'm doing it :P I don't want to see you scare off any of the players you work so hard to recruit. Please take constructively.
                        In defence of Wyz, it seems like he does this mainly on alien. On marine he will often blame himself for doing something bizzarre that caused us to lose the game or something like "sorry guys I didn't electrify the rt at west, and then we lost the game". On the rare occasions where he does "blame" the team, it starts with a "It is really frustrating for me to see..." which doesn't seem as bad.

I'm not one to direct comments, but it seems to me that many people on TG take the game very seriously, perhaps too seriously. This sort of leads into the attitude problem. Sure, maybe that guy could have hurried to save the rt a little faster, but he is hardly deserving of the title "dumbest idiot on all of the earth and possibly space as well" (note: not based on actual example). If you carefully examine NS, it can be statistically shown that in any given game, half of the people playing will lose. So it should be noted that, although always winning is not possible, always having good time is.

And back at me, I would say my problem is, I don't take the game seriously enough :) I often get sort of bored, like I'm not going out every round and trying my best. Sometimes it feels like I'm just walking and occasionally clicking the mouse if I see a bad guy, not doing the whole "being aware of enemies" and "engaging intelligently". So I would say I need to pay more attention, and be a little more active.

Comment

I thought of some more stuff for me. When I play I usually listen to music too loud and can't hear mics properly. When it's captain or sometimes regular ns I turn it off/down, but for combat (which I never take seriously in general) it's always louder than the game. Also, during the game I do downright stupid things. I'll forget to cover and build instead, or not listen to the info and save an rt. I also engage enemies stupidly, 3 heavies vs. me as lerk once.

Comment

Sometimes, especially when I'm building, I stop paying attention to sounds and just stare off into space. And those times, I usually zone out and not hear someone tell me to watch out or a skulk eats my face. And sometimes when I'm commanding, I sit in silence for a bit to observe everything that's going on instead of telling the team what to do.
                            I learned in my twelve step program that the first step is admitting you have a problem... :-p
                            --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

(Demeaning yourself is so much fun)
                              Probably my biggest gaming fault is that I get frustrated when im just absolutely SURE i go that guy, but ended up dying. THen i whine about it on the mic or chat, and it annoys people. Can't really point out anyone else's faults right now though so...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X