Anyone else

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else

Having problems with the hitboxes? I just had a 30 second battle with a skulk, took an entire clip out of the hmg to down it. Something really doesnt feel right here.
    USAR

Re: Anyone else

Oh ya all the time, and im not being sarcastic, it sucks even more when ur a skulk and you leap and get killed around corners... Happens to me all the time. Or ill be pulling an enigma, and be leaping all over the place avoiding the rines, when all of a sudden im dead from some lame shotgunner that got lucky on the bad hitboxes.
    Oyee

Comment

You have to understand, the way the HL engine works, when you get hit around a corner, the person shooting you saw you as being right in front of him. It has to do with things being sent to the server from you, to the player...etc. < more tech crap here > so it's kinda hard to blame hit boxes. It's more the HL engine's perception of those hitboxes, not NS or something like that.

Comment

Also Viper, the skulk model is long, even though your POV is around the corner it doesn mean the entire skulk body is safely hidden behind a wall. That tooshie of yours still sticks out.
        USAR

Comment

Also Viper, the skulk model is long, even though your POV is around the corner it doesn mean the entire skulk body is safely hidden behind a wall. That tooshie of yours still sticks out.

What Im refering to is being in a small hallway, with a skulk jumping up and down and I know I am hitting it client side but there is no blood decals drawn on my pc.
          USAR

Comment

have you checked your rates to see that they are all cool?

I haven't seen a lot of hitbox issues in 3.0f. Then again I played beta6 pre release 1. I still have nightmares about the invincible skulks eating phase gates. Men have unloaded entire clips at them and hit nothing but phasegate.

Comment

The around-the-corner kills you mentioned have nothing to do with bugged hitboxes; they can more or less be attributed to lag, and it's always been that way. Basically, the HL netcode causes the server to decide that you're still in the open and being shot, even if your client thinks you made it around the corner. Everything looks perfectly normal to the killer. When you pistol kill that skulk as soon as he shows his face in a vent, he probably ducked back into cover right away on his client but the server didn't process it in time. I think the idea is that it makes the game more playable on higher pings, but it is pretty annoying.

I've heard lots of complaining about these bad hitboxes but I've never noticed them. I don't know what to tell you; there weren't any hitbox changes in 3.0F and nobody has done any real tests to prove a bug.

Comment

There are many variables that affect the hitboxes. Lag, client config (ex_interp...etc) , server config (sv_updaterate etc...). Combined they aren't that bad with good hitbox code.

The problem is at higher speeds (leaping skulk especially with celerity) its much more apparant that there is a problem. What this means is that the code is buggy at any speed, just more apparant at higher ones. A complete rewrite was implemented, and theoretically the code was better (and for certain non-moving objects it was), but it also had major problems.

Basically NS is stretching the HL1 engine way past its limit. Even the laddercode for wallwalking is a bit of a hack. One of the top priorities for NS:Source and NS:2 is fixing these bugs.

The game is already more fun than most commercial games, but not as polished.

Still anything that both sides have to deal with means that its balanced. When you are aliens you get the same benefits with bad hitbox code as your enemy does when you are on rines. It's an annoyance but it is balanced.

Please flayrah, take a physics 101 class, fix the hitboxes, and at least give jetpackers airbags to explain 200kph wall crashes just being shrugged off :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X