"mouse" problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "mouse" problems

Ok I've been having mouse problems lately and I can't seem to fix them let alone isolate the exact behaviour.

Basically what happens is that when I'm moving the view around with the mouse, it acts as if someone is occasionally randomly unplugging and replugging the mouse from my computer. If I'm panning left to right, say, it may stop half-way through (but objects in the game keep moving) as though the mouse were unplugged, only to continue moving a second or two later. The length of the stutter varies from a split second to maybe 2-3 seconds. It can get so bad sometimes that I will not be able to navigate an L-shaped corridor (I'll hit the wall instead of turn at the junction).

The other symptoms are that it *appears* to be map-specific, but I haven't narrowed this down yet. All I can say for sure is that, on some maps, the behaviour is intolerably common whereas on others it is somewhat bearable.

I did recently change some hardware on my machine. Not too long ago I upgraded my video card from an ATI Radeon 7200 to an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200. Recently I added a new hard drive and replaced my keyboard (from a no-name brand generic keyboard to a Microsoft IntelliType Pro). I don't honestly remember if the problems started after the video card upgrade or after the hdd + kbd upgrade.

BTW, I've only been having this problem with NS. Other Half-Life mods (I tested with Deathmatch Classic) do not have this problem and I haven't had any problems like this with other games.

I'm going to try switching back to the old keyboard to see if that's the conflict (it would be very strange if it were) but I don't have the old video card any more and I don't plan on taking the hdd out unless I absolutely have to.

Finally, I am running NS at 1024x768x32 in OpenGL rendering mode. I remember trying Direct3D and the menus were totally garbled.

If anyone has any ideas of how to fix the problem or even how to determine what the conflict or problem is, I'm all ears.
    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Re: "mouse" problems

Check your mouse lense for any small hairs, a hair at the lense will really make your mouse wacky for games. Also make sure the feets are clean. Other than that I don't know.

LazyEye

Comment

If you look carefully under your desk with a flashlight, I bet you'll find TBEAR in his underwear unplugging and plugging your mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by snappy
        If you look carefully under your desk with a flashlight, I bet you'll find TBEAR in his underwear unplugging and plugging your mouse.
        GODDAMNIT TBEAR I TOLD YOU TO GET OUT OF THERE

Heh, and in all seriousness, LazyEye, yeah the first thing I did was check for dirt in the mouse. It's been cleaned so many times now it's frickin spotless.

Oh and BTW it's not a network latency issue either. I just started a local server on ns_agora, joined alien team, held down my "move forward" key (w) while moving the mouse from left to right... same problem, view freezes up randomly every few seconds...

Comment

Completely disable your system's sound card (hardware device manager) and see if you can reproduce the problem.

I really am nothing special when it comes to troubleshooting hardware issues, but this behavior sounds very similar to behavior I've experienced in the past when devices were competing for resources on your machine.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Is your mouse optical?

I was using my optical mouse directly on my fake wood finish desk, and because of the pattern on the desk it actually made the mouse stick. It didnt happen when working in windows, but it was horrible for FPSs.

Try a different mousing surface and see what happens.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              Completely disable your system's sound card (hardware device manager) and see if you can reproduce the problem.

I really am nothing special when it comes to troubleshooting hardware issues, but this behavior sounds very similar to behavior I've experienced in the past when devices were competing for resources on your machine.
              Wow, well after upgrading all my drivers and switching keyboards and muttering a few incantations I finally took your advice and disabled my sound card... and it worked. The stutter totally disappeared.

What do you recommend at this point?

My next guess is to try physically switching the slot that the sound card is plugged into on my mobo.

Comment

Ok Wyz, so I found your old thread about your own hardware problems and you mentioned an IRQ conflict that WinXP did not pick up on... and it looks like I have the same deal. Both my sound card and my video card are claiming IRQ 09 as being theirs- so how did you fix this problem?

Comment

I bought another network adapter, as WinXP doesn't (easily) let you manage IRQs. I use wireless at home.. I was using an ethernet bridge and running cat5 to my box (shutup, Yellow). I just went out and bought a USB wireless adapter and all has been peachy since then.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by zibalatz
                    Ok Wyz, so I found your old thread about your own hardware problems and you mentioned an IRQ conflict that WinXP did not pick up on... and it looks like I have the same deal. Both my sound card and my video card are claiming IRQ 09 as being theirs- so how did you fix this problem?
                    Sometimes the motherboard will let you force a PCI slot to use a specific IRQ. This doesn't always play nice with plug-and-play, but it's worth a try.
                    "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      I bought another adapter, as WinXP doesn't (easily) let you manage cats to my box (thats your cue, Yellow). I just went out and bought an adapter and all has been peachy since then.
                      I changed the 5 to an S. dont use leet speak Wyz!

Sorry Wyz but i have no interest in running any cats to your box!
                      "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

Switching the physical location might help, or updating your bios (firmware flash). Also check if you can switch IRQ settings in the bios.

Comment

a note: some people have fps issues with CD, sometimes when you get this issue your mouse will lock up for a split second or so. People think this problem is based off your vid card.

I have had the same mouse studder that you have described, it is very annoying and it seems like its random.

LazyEye

Comment

I too am having the same problem that zib is facing. How did you know that his sound card was the problem? and How do you look for irq conflicts. My device manager says that everything is working fine. There are no !'s or ?'s under any of the devices that are installed on my computer.

ps. snappy is a slut and When i was unplugging zib's computer I was completely naked.

Comment

Originally posted by T_BEAR
                              I too am having the same problem that zib is facing. How did you know that his sound card was the problem? and How do you look for irq conflicts. My device manager says that everything is working fine. There are no !'s or ?'s under any of the devices that are installed on my computer.
                              If you right-click on the individual devices in your Device Manager and select Properties, you can find out which IRQ it uses by checking the Resources tab. In my case the video card and sound card share the same IRQ. The idea is that Windows is supposed to be able to "intelligently" share the IRQ among two different devices but clearly that is not always the case.

As far as deducing that the sound card was the problem, I disabled the sound card device in Device Manager and had no problems.

Originally posted by T_BEAR
                              ps. snappy is a slut and When i was unplugging zib's computer I was completely naked.
                              This is true.

So anyway, I've tried physically changing the slot the sound and video cards were plugged in to, changing the IRQ settings in bios, downloading updated bios drivers, and making virgin sacrifices to the gods, but nothing worked.

The only solution I haven't tried but that I found through google was to reinstall windows and in so doing disable the ACPI feature. I'm really not willing to potentially mess up my install just to turn off a windows feature... or should I say "feature".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X