Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS 3.1 announced

From naturalselection.com today:

We are pleased to announce that work on Natural Selection v3.1 is progressing nicely. This update will features the first public implementation of Unknown World Entertainment's 'Nexus' System, about which we will release more information over the next weeks. NS v3.1 will also see a number of improvements aimed to make NS more intuitive as well as a number of optimizations.

We have also begun to research the efforts and challenges involved in a port of Natural Selection to VALVe's Source engine (Half-life II). So far our results have been mixed but with some positive surprises in terms of the artwork. We hope to begin asset creation relatively soon. There will however be no decisions on the code and the initial scope of Source port until after v3.1 is released.
    Nothing new re: Source, but "more intuitive" caught my eye. Anyone know anything specific which that is about?

Nexus... I like the name.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: NS 3.1 announced

I snooped around NS.com and couldn't find much detail on "Nexus". This is the BUS, though, correct?

Comment

You are correct Sir.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

I have a feeling that the nexus system will be utterly pointless in NS and will be something that wont effect gameplay. But what do I know.

LazyEye

Comment

What I posted on the NS forums:
          Originally posted by Zek
          My observations:
          • Note that the front page says "Unknown World Entertainment's Nexus system." It applies to UWE, not just NS. This, along with the fact that it's just the first implementation in what very well may be the last NS patch, clearly says that it's going to span across all of UWE's games. Anything specific to the gameplay of NS can safely be ruled out, but it definitely ties directly into the game for it to necessitate a clientside patch.
          • nexus

1.) A means of connection; a link or tie: “this nexus between New York's... real-estate investors and its... politicians” (Wall Street Journal).
            2. A connected series or group.
            3. The core or center: “The real nexus of the money culture [was] Wall Street” (Bill Barol).

Assuming the name was chosen for some reason other than its cool sound, that's a pretty huge hint about its function.

My guess is that it's a sort of hub for activity relating to all UWE games. Possible features would include a chat lobby, globalized stats/rankings(based on existing UWE accounts), clan functionality, PUG/scrim arrangement tools, etc. It would be a separate program that launches NS directly, but can keep track of your info based on SteamID regardless of whether or not you use it(although I don't know how much of Steam's default interface can be bypassed). Maybe I'm way off, but it makes sense to me.
          And Nem's post a little later:
          Originally posted by Nemesis Zero
          One thing I can assure you of at this point already is that Nexus will be completely optional. No enforced migrations here.
          The only reason I can think that he would say that is if my guess was reasonably close. Otherwise, why would he think people would be worried about enforced migration when all we know is the name?

I don't think it was ever implied that the BUS would affect gameplay, so you're probably right about that much.

Comment

When the BUS was announced long ago, they said it would be something that would change how the game is played... that doesnt necessarily mean it will effect gameplay, but it will effect something. My guess is it will be some sort of extention to the NS community that interfaces with servers in some way.

Latest info says that it is entirely optional, so if you dont like it, you dont have to use it.
            -- appears zek beat me to it.

Comment

Sounds like a built in system probably akin to halo live levels or something of that nature. Something to help boost casual gamers into a more competitive or organized play...
              *just speculation*

Comment

I think it's a system that remembers your CO experience points and applies them to your next game when you leave and return to a specific server.

'cause that would be frikkin' AWESOME, RIGHT GUYS?

Right?

RIGHT!??!!

right?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  I think it's a system that remembers your CO experience points and applies them to your next game when you leave and return to a specific server.

'cause that would be frikkin' AWESOME, RIGHT GUYS?

Right?

RIGHT!??!!

right?
                  WRONG!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! AMAZINGLY WRONG!!! SO WRONG IT BURNS!!!
                  -Zephyr
                  You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                  We are not a single game.
                  We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                  We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

eeeeeeeeeeeeewww

but still xpvault > wyz fade

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
                      xpvault > wyz fade
                      lol rgr that

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you guys in thinking that Nexus will turn out like "It". You know, "It" was supposed to change the world, like the internet but it turned out to be segway. (Come on. How can a mode of transporation that limited change the world?)

If it's what Zek said, I wouldn't use it. If it's what Wyz said... KICK BUTT, DUDE!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X