Onos Rules??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onos Rules??

No, this isn't a topic about how good the onos is. I was wondering what the rules are (or even just the inclination of the admins) when it comes to onos is small Co games.

Earlier chewwy went onos on a 3 on 3 match, really early in the game. In that small a game, that early, the onos is essentially unkillable, so I was wondering what the official biew on it is.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Onos Rules??

I *personally* think it's lame, but not sure what (if any) ruling there is. I see Wyz's name down there in users reading thread, so I'm sure we'll hear it. I can't really think of a ruling that would deal with it but not cause bigger problems. "I'ma kick you for onosing GRRR!" Is the kinda thing you see on nub servers with bad admins, ya know?

So, I can see both sides. And, in the end, I'll just be glad I'm not an admin and have to come up with the solution to it.

Comment

Generally speaking, it's bad taste to onos in small games, but it is part of the game, and you just have to deal with it.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I remember a 4v4 NS game on some server (not TG), and aliens had 2 onos. At any given time they could be digesting 2/3rds the marines on the ground, and the last guy was just lunch (of course, like I said, not TG, so he tended to be wandering off somewhere doing nothing anyway :P). It's far too powerful, even in a game that size (which is only a couple players short on either team from being a "real" ns game). I feel some situations call for it though.
        For example, aliens with just one hive, and marines have turret farmed the crap out of the other two. Even fade can't do a lot about a massive turret farm, sometimes you just need an onos to take care of it. But in that case the turret farming was kind of lame to begin with. A vicious cycle of lameness.
        Something that needs to be dealt with on an incident basis.

Comment

There is no official rule against a small game onos.

That said, I tend to think less of the player taking such an action without sufficient cause to do so.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

This is what is known as "bad form".

Comment

It's just another thing that makes me hate CO.

It's not the onosing that really bothers me. I already know aliens are hideously over-powered in CO. It's the fact that 9 times out of 10, that onos will spawn camp MS rather than killing the command chair.

Comment

You can't get kicked for being an onos in a small game. There's no rule against it.

There's also no rule against you taking a walk outside, or unloading the dishwasher, when someone that selfish wants to be so selfish or misunderstanding and waste your time.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                  that onos will spawn camp MS rather than killing the command chair.
                  You can get kicked for this. :)
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I was talking only about onos's in small CO games. In NS, while onos are overpowered in small games, they aren't as invincible. And when you get right down to it, neither is an onos in CO, later on in the game. The ONLY time where I feel it is just plain wrong to onos, is only a few minutes into the game, becuase at that point, with only 2-3 marines, the onos is all but unkillable. Using only lvl 0 lmgs, three marines can hardly kill an un-upgraded onos, even if it stood still. While most likely the marines will have a few upgrades, in most small games, the marines will not have the firepower to EVER kill an onos, 3-6 minutes in. And that is a problem. If no one has the firepower to kill the onos, the game is already over. The onos will just keep killing the marines, and get stronger, meanwhile, the marines are getting no kills and effectively become weaker. That is the situation I think there should be a rule against.

Something along the lines of no going onos in a game with under 10 player, until after the 8 minute mark. By then the marines will have enough upgrades that they CAN kill an onos, even if it isn't easy.

Comment

It's Combat...not to belittle your concern, but I have never gotten the impression that doing ANYTHING in Combat is considered serious enough to get you in trouble.

Comment

Onos early game is not fun. But, 3 marines shouldn't have a problem killing it. May take a few spawn waves, but ono will fall. What would realy be lame is if the jerk went onos again plus a few upgrades. blah, play fair people!!
                        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
                          I was talking only about onos's in small CO games. In NS, while onos are overpowered in small games, they aren't as invincible. And when you get right down to it, neither is an onos in CO, later on in the game. The ONLY time where I feel it is just plain wrong to onos, is only a few minutes into the game, becuase at that point, with only 2-3 marines, the onos is all but unkillable. Using only lvl 0 lmgs, three marines can hardly kill an un-upgraded onos, even if it stood still. While most likely the marines will have a few upgrades, in most small games, the marines will not have the firepower to EVER kill an onos, 3-6 minutes in. And that is a problem. If no one has the firepower to kill the onos, the game is already over. The onos will just keep killing the marines, and get stronger, meanwhile, the marines are getting no kills and effectively become weaker. That is the situation I think there should be a rule against.

Something along the lines of no going onos in a game with under 10 player, until after the 8 minute mark. By then the marines will have enough upgrades that they CAN kill an onos, even if it isn't easy.
                          I think I was in this game. Onos IMO SUX......but I'm new. I would really think there would be a counter to being lunch.

Comment

Three UPGRADED marines should be able to kill an onos. Three unupgraded marines are unlikely to, and once the onos gets upgrades there's not a chance.

Comment

Ok here's my two cents...

Onos in games with small playercount isn't an indication of problems with Onoses, it's an indication of problems with small teams in the context of the NS mod. NS was never really designed with balancing of small team games (or, for that matter, very large team games) in mind. Just as an Onos is wildly unbalanced in small teams, so is a jetpacker.

I don't think a hard and fast rule is the way to go since small games are inherently unbalanced. As a rule of thumb I try not to go Onos or JP or HA if the teams are <9 players or so, the reason being that I'm trying to keep things fun. A massive slaughter (or, worse, a drawn out game with no hope for one side) is definitely not fun for the side being slaughtered. It also has limited entertainment value for the winning side- might be fun once in a while but it gets tired real quick.

Since the most fun games are the games that are balanced and have a lot of back-and-forth with interesting strategies and/or surprises I try to keep even the small games somewhat balanced by not using the higher lifeforms/upgrades unless doing so means evening the competition. Losing a good match can still be lots of fun. For example getting knifed as an Onos can be hilarious even for the Onos. It may be disappointing to lose a match, but the fun is in the back-and-forth, not the end result.

So anyway, the point of all this is, in small games, don't go Onos/JP/HA just because you can and just because it will win the match. Choose the upgrades that will keep the match fun despite the unbalanced nature of small teams in NS.
                              Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X