Discuss Cheating-Death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Cheating-Death

Currently Cheating-Death has been on the server for a long time, but I think we should consider removing it. It is known that Cheating-Death causes many fps issues for players, these issues range from a random stuttering of the game, a massive drop in fps, and other fps related problems. Some players do get no issues with CD, or they just donít notice it. Also CD has not been updated in sometime to fix these problems.

I know the server doesnít primarily use CD for its anti-cheat purpose (it can be bypassed by cheaters anyway). Its main use it to keep people too stupid to run a simple program like cheating-death out of the server. I donít think this is really needed anymore and can be countered.

If CD goes, I think 2 or 3 more trusted server admins would be useful. Obviously it would be up to the current staff to choose good admins.

Re: Discuss Cheating-Death

This might work, seems there are a lot more active members than there were just a few months ago... so we will have the temp admin presence to keep things under control if anyone decided to cause trouble.

And CD can always be reactivated if it doesnt work out.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

The only reason I'm hesitant about this is that EVERY time we turn CD off, or make it optional, it's a matter of (very little) time before everyone goes back to wanting it back on.

What's wrong with the "one-[No C-D]" plugin Wyz crafted that allows one person without CD on the server when someone with admin authority is on?
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I think what LazyEye is getting at isn't so much as letting people in without C-D, its the issues with using C-D for everyone else. I have mixed feelings.

My solution: Make c-d optional for members of TG. Keep everything else (the one cd-opt with an admin system) the same.

Comment

Yeah I agree we should take it off and see how it goes. I figured out that its not my computer but CD that has been causing my FPS problems. :o

Comment

Keep CD on and make it optional. At least then we would know who has and doesnt have cd running.
            USAR

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm
              My solution: Make c-d optional for members of TG.
              This seems like a good idea.

Someone try to shoot it down.

If we can't, I'll implement some flavor of it.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                Someone try to shoot it down.
                *BLAP* *BLAP* *BLAP*.... eh I got nothing

I like this idea as well... will save me from forgetting CD and having to restart everything.
                Steam Community: | |

Comment

please please please leave cd on. if not for anything but my sanity. the kind of people who choose to complain because we have cd and they don't want to download it for whatever reason is the type I'd like to see remain off our server. in my experience, the no-cd cause more problems than those that have it.
                  --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Keres, what's wrong with CD OPT for members, CD REQ for everyone else?

Comment

I ready dont care either way. My system is fast enough to run the resource hog (cheating death) and steam a the same time. ::grin::
                      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Is the problem just CD hogging resources? I wonder if I could just turn the priority of CD to the lowest setting.
                        Rm 14:2 NIV
                        One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

I was poking fun at the 428K mem usage and next to null cpu usage. I doubt it's the resources causing the problem, but rather people forgeting to turn it on before they join up. Here's a solution: Start CD at windows boot time, and just leave it running. Cant you spare the 428K memory?
                          birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Okay, I went to UA's bug tracker (you'll need to create a user) and found a few logs of choke/lag issues.

Originally posted by UnitedAdmins
                            Summary frame rate lose
                            Description After the Local lan server installed cheating death. i try to play and my frames per second suck. they are between 10 - 30 for the most part and i usually see no less than 90
                            Those are the only 2 thing I found logged (about fps/choke), the latter seems irrelevant but I quoted it anyway. And the first...was resolved. So, or either the problem is a myth or needs reporting (or I didn't find it).

I'm not even entirely sure C-D is the problem; 'cause I've heard no reasoning. I assume people turned it off, but how long did you play? Where did you go?

The C-D packet is 22bytes, and it uses ~500K memory. (For comparison, iTunes uses 10,000K) What's the specs of people getting the problem and those not? We should be focussing more on finding the root of the problem within C-D and getting it reported than trying to scrap it right away. I'll start with the specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
                            System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
                            System Model: Dimension 4600i
                            BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A12
                            Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
                            Memory: 510MB RAM
                            Page File: 354MB used, 891MB available
                            DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
                            [Video] Card name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
                            Chip type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
                            [Sound Card]: SoundMAX Digital Audio

I bolded what I thought might be important.

Comment

I don't care whether or not members have to use CD, for obvious reasons. But don't turn it off or make it optional. It's not a matter of "see how it goes" anymore... We've tried it so many times and it's always come back, and for very good reason. Disabling CD has never done anything but lower the quality of gameplay here. It's not even a matter of admin presence; even if they aren't doing anything kick-worthy, it just hurts the atmosphere of the server. I would rather play a small game of regulars than an 8v8 of pubbers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X