Widescreen Gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widescreen Gaming

I am running 1920x1200 on a Dell Inspiron 9300. Widescreen mode in the options menu just stretches the horizontal resolution. Is there any better option where I see more space in the game? Can I change my FOV? What should I change my FOV to if I want all the graphics to be unstretched?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Widescreen Gaming

Hrmm, wouldn't that give you an unfair advantage if you had a wider FOV?

Anyways, I've not heard anything about that on the HL engine, but it is my understanding that the Source engine DOES support this.

Others may know better.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I have a Dell 2005fpw, does 1680x1050. World of Warcraft and Half-Life 2 both support 16:10 widescreen modes natively, and look awesome. Doom3 will do 1680x1050 if you force the mode using the console, and also looks great. I haven't tried NS yet; will let you know what I find out when I do.
      "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

I haven't gotten NS working right. It runs a 16:9 mode. My monitor is 16:10, and for some reason with this resolution it scales to the vertical which pushes the sides of the screen, even though the horizontal resolution is exactly right it's just the vertical that's a little off. I'm hoping to just play with the settings a bit. HL2 and CS:S work perfectly with widescreen right out of the box, and yes you do get somewhat of a FOV advantage, although it is small. For the curious, here is a screenshot of 16:10 and 4:3 on my machine:

the blue shaded area is the extra stuff you see on a widescreen view.

Comment

Whoa. That's the width of an opposition unit on each side of the screen, at least. That doesn't seem so minor to me.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Please ban al for widescreen hax. Thank you.

Comment

Yeah ban those widescreen hackers.

Comment

Well like I said, ns widescreen doesn't work.

Skulks already have an expanded fov anyway, if it were any bigger it would probably make me sick :)

Comment

Originally posted by rs_al
                  if it were any bigger it would probably make me sick
                  We're still talking about the FOV here, right?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wyzcrack lives up to his moniker.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      We're still talking about the FOV here, right?
                      Wyz! This is the SECOND post I read today that has a pun intent! Whats goin on!!

http://tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=52399
                      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

* shifty eyes *

Comment

Originally posted by rs_al
                          I haven't gotten NS working right. It runs a 16:9 mode. My monitor is 16:10, and for some reason with this resolution it scales to the vertical which pushes the sides of the screen, even though the horizontal resolution is exactly right it's just the vertical that's a little off. I'm hoping to just play with the settings a bit. HL2 and CS:S work perfectly with widescreen right out of the box, and yes you do get somewhat of a FOV advantage, although it is small. For the curious, here is a screenshot of 16:10 and 4:3 on my machine:
                          the blue shaded area is the extra stuff you see on a widescreen view.
                          So how do you run ns then?
                          Windowed? My settings stretch the image in games wether or not its widescreen resolutions...

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm
                            So how do you run ns then?
                            Windowed? My settings stretch the image in games wether or not its widescreen resolutions...
                            I run it full screen. My monitor has an option to display at 4:3 rather than stretch, so I can run 1024x768 at the proper aspect ratio. I don't think it looks too bad stretched though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X