Possibility of TGNS tournament?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibility of TGNS tournament?

This is probably a surprise to no one, but all signs point to NSLearn being dead.... which means no community tournament.

Since this was something I was looking forward to, I would like to discuss the possibility of TG hosting a tournament for the server regulars. Put some consideration into your posts. No need to pollute this thread with 1 line "Im in" posts.

I would be willing to take some responsibility for running the tournament. I will be graduated soon, and should have enough time on my hands.

Anyone have an idea of how we could get an accurate head count of definite participants?
    Steam Community: | |

Re: Possibility of TGNS tournament?

The TGCS tournament went well enough having people give an "I'm in" thread, and going from there. I'd probably want to make sure something like Team F didn't happen, and make the selection of teams akin to a fantasy draft (Teams 1 through 6, then 6 through 1, etc).

The real trick would be participants. CSS has regulars out the wazoo, being CSS. While our base is nice and established, my fear would be its depth and whether or not we could support a full tourney in-house.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
      The TGCS tournament went well enough having people give an "I'm in" thread, and going from there.
      Perhaps we should have a second thread for commitments. My aim was to keep this thread on track.

It would only take 48 people to get 6 teams of 8. Depending on availability, the games could be played 6v6, 7v7, or 8v8. I'm confident that there are that many active regulars. The trouble is not all are active on the forums, nor will all be interested.

Would be nice to reclaim some lost souls from WoW and CSS as well... perhaps the tournament would provide the necessary bait.

Comment

I'm in.

I mean... I think poker has a good point. Thinking 6 on a team would probably be the minimum, just getting 4 teams might be tough (24 people).

I also don't know about the fantasy draft. I think the teams would be much more productive if players could chose their team, and be a lot more like teams. Just being on a "team" with a bunch of random people you got thrown together with might not be too different from just playing on the server on any given night. Allowing teams to form of their own allows for a certain sense of unity.

EDIT: I don't think that the cs:s style is any better than a draft, but maybe we could mix them- say the first 2-4 players on each team are drafted, then other players can fill out the rest of the team? That would also avoid the "fat kid" problem too :)

Comment

Originally posted by rs_al
          say the first 2-4 players on each team are drafted, then other players can fill out the rest of the team
          My thoughts were to have a separate comm and fade draft... each team needs a competent comm and fade... though less so with the fade.

The problem I see arising with a half draft is that, hypothetically speaking, when people see that lazy and wyz are on the same team, they will want to join that team given that they are skilled at fade and comm respectively. That gives the lazy/wyz team a large pool to pick from in turn creating an unbalanced team.

Comment

Well, I think I can compete with Wyz in the comm department :D

(Yes, this is some kind of sick joke)

Comment

Didn't we do something like this before with the teams?

Comment

Actually, I'd say 6 on a side wouldn't be minimum, but ideal.

The reason I proposed a rotisserie setup was to counteract the six best players from making an untouchable team. If there are safeguards against something like that, then go for 'em.
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Is this something you're putting together just for the NS portion of the TG community, or for the site as a whole? I think you would have problems finding enough players if you only recruit from the NS portion of the site. If we can recruit some of the better players from the rest of the site, we'd almost certainly have enough players. We'd just have to arrange practices for the teams ahead of time and make sure there's an even mix of NS newbies among the teams. And so long as the teams are more or less even with the distribution of skill, a practice session or two ahead of time could make them operate as a team.

Is there a way you can modify the text that is displayed on the top left of the screen on the TG server? That would be an good way to get the non-forum regulars informed, combined with a message on server join.

Oh, and I'm almost certainly in, though with my annoying framerate issues I'm not going to be a massive asset to whatever team I'm on (at least not for the first half hour or so).
                  "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I donít think there would be reason to exclude anyone within the TG community, nor would I turn away people who have no affiliation with TG, unless numbers got out of control.

As far as numbers go, I am making a count of people I have seen on the server regularly in the last month and I'm up to 65. There are lots more if you include players who havenít been around in a while.

If the word was spread efficiently, I donít think participation would be an issue.

Comment

I was thinking of advertisment, not restrictions. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

Comment

I belive a captains like situations would work,i belive that is how we did it last time around a couple years back.You can count me in on this also.

Comment

I'd like to get into a few games before saying "I'm in". I'll hop on the next couple nights, see what all the fuss is.

Comment

We could always break the teams up as something like:
                            1 paying member
                            2 regulars
                            3 Others (including people who don't play NS)

or for better games all around
                            3 members
                            1-2 regs
                            1-2 non-NS members

With 5 members/regs and 1 learning person, things would go much smoother. We need to know who's playing though. And I would recommend against everyone just joining up with their best buddy. This tournament wouldn't be about winning: it would be about establishing a stronger community.

I'm out of NS for the time being, but I could volunteer for helping with some of the administration of the tourny if it's needed.

Comment

I just realized one potential problem: with only one server, schedules will probably start to become inconvenient. You might want to solve this soon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X