What is NS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is NS?

Ok, is NS a standalone game? or a Halflife addon? (And if it is an addon, I take it HL1?)
    If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
    with any questions or concerns.
    |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Re: What is NS?

No, yes, and yes.
    www.naturalselection.com should be able to answer more of your questions.

Comment

It is a mod for HL 1, multiplayer only. It is basically starcraft combined with counterstrike minus location damage and the protoss.

The marines have a commander that spends resources to buy buildings, weapons, and upgrades, and the marines use guns, explosives, and a knife to run around the map killing aliens.

The aliens have communal resources, so each alien has its own resources. There is no alien commander, instead there is a building life form. The aliens use res to drop buildings and evolve into new lifeforms.

Resources are gathered by placing towers on top of gas nozzles. The aliens win by destroying all the marines and their infantry portals, while the marines win by destroying all the alien hives and the aliens, which subsequantly die afterwords, since no hive leeches off health.

It is heroin if CS is crack. Games run up to over an hour often, and it is much more complicated and satisfying than CS.

Comment

ouija,

If you have HL1 installed, Tactical Gamer hosts the Natural Selection 3.0 download for supporting members.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/local_l...ion=jump&id=22

We can answer any questions you have, and we can help you learn the game. Just make sure you make it clear to everyone on the server that you're new and need help.

It's the greatest thing you'll ever do for yourself, playing this game.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

:::sheepishly admits::: I have never played Halflife 1. (And I am a computer nerd since the age of 13 (now 32.))

Ill swing by the store and see if I can find a copy of HL1, might need to check this out...sounds interesting.
          |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

If you have steam you can just buy it online and download it from steam.
            "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by ouija
              :::sheepishly admits::: I have never played Halflife 1. (And I am a computer nerd since the age of 13 (now 32.))

Ill swing by the store and see if I can find a copy of HL1, might need to check this out...sounds interesting.
              The platinum edition is running about $19.99 in my area, although you can get HL alone for less. Worth it either way. Natural Selection, Firearms, Day of Defeat are all worth playing.

Comment

We've already been over this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                  And that has stopped us when exactly?

Comment

Fenix put being silly before being helpful.

Bad Fenix. Bad.

lol tar...

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

One thing I was confued about when I started NS was the commander. The commander (comm) hops in a chair and stays for most of the game. He has a overhead view of all but can't see aliens without aid of a marine or motion tracking (MT, and they're just blips then). You know he's been watching you when stuff drops near you without you asking. It's creepy....

As a new player, I would advise not commanding for a while. Same goes for fade, but you should practice that during combat (CO). CO is a commander/gorge-less NS game type where all you do is kill for experience. We don't usually like it or take it seriously, but it will be helpful to you starting out.

This should be helpful.

Comment

Hairy said "gorgeless", but in fact you can gestate into a gorge in CO, and fight, but you cannot build structures in CO mode, as aliens or as marines.

Comment

NS is a reason for men/women (Keres/KitFox) to show there true inner child. I know most players are 20 and below, but im sure theres older people that play NS, aka everyone that i didnt mention besides myself.

j/k
                          Oyee

Comment

Co can be great fun if infro, enigma, pfhor, red eye, poker face, vapox, tbear, cosm, squeak, or snappy arent on the other team. :)

Comment

LOL, Well, I dug up a ancient copy of Half-Life that my brother had from 1998. Went to try and update it to current specs, and cant get any patches to update it past 1.1.1.0 (or something there abouts.) Any ideas?
                              |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X