NS training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS training

Seems there are a few of us drifting over from CS lately. Is there any chance of some sort of training? I've not received any unpleasentness when I've played, but I feel like a spare part, and quite often don't want to ask stupid questions in the middle of a game. I also have trouble understanding why things are done or not done a certain way, and a training session would most likely answer lots.

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: NS training

I'd like to put a voice in favor of actual training sessions. Just playing is NOT the best way to learn to play NS. It works, but you can learn more about NS in one game with someone showing you things than you can in 20 games of just watching and figuring it out.

Edit, for some reason the word games is creating a link to gambling sites for me. I don't mean to, I think some sort of adware snuck onto my computer.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Wyz was -- and may still be -- running another server on behalf of NSTrain or some similar group. Maybe we can take that over when its empty, or set up a local server, and someone can walk you through whatever you need. If I'm online, look me up; I'll be more than happy to help you guys out.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I own 3 private server which i would gladly donate from time to time to help this cause out. I am in IRC if interested.
        Quotes From Wise People:
        "Never enough time to do it once but always enough time to do it again."
        "If he(She) ever learns what it is to speak ill, he will no longer be angry"
        "You'll learn good from the good; those who are not, If you mix with them, spoil the sense you've got."

Comment

Another thing I'd recommend if you haven't already done so, is to start up a listen server (for example, start ns, open the console, and type "map ns_eclipse") and hop in the command chair. Start dropping some buildings and stuff. (use "sv_cheats 1" and "givepoints; givepoints; givepoints" etc. to get yourself free res. sv_cheats will also make buildings and research go faster, so it's not like you'll be doing it for hours). Try to drop every piece of equipment- this won't work of course, you'll need to build extra buildings, etc. Each building and equipment has a tootltip to tell you what you're missing. I think this is the best way to pick up marines, what their buildings do and what's required for every upgrade. Also be sure to check out the cost of each.

You could probably learn a bit about aliens this way too.

Comment

We will use the TG SE server for any training sessions.

Root, you also know how accessible I am. I'd be happy to help whenever I'm able, even if it means leaving the evening games I'm sure you'd be too hesitant to interrupt if I didn't explicitly ask you to (the point of this sentence).

If you want to learn the basics, training will surely be effective.

If you're wanting to learn the finer points of best practice, I'd recommending real gameplay over time.

I'm.... disappointed... to hear that you don't want to ask the stupid questions. It means we could all do better to foster a warmer environment. Please ask the questions. Please ask for help. Every time you learn something, it makes my gameplay -- everyone's gameplay -- that much more satisfying the next time you apply that knowledge toward the success of your team (or hell -- in the really great games -- toward your defeat of my team).
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Why not give the unofficial training map a try. While a very incomplete, it does contain some valuable information.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/...howtopic=90930

It installs as a separate game, but you must have NS installed for it to work. After installing it, run "Natural Selection Training Map" from the my games list in steam.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Just dont ask where you can find a different gun, i hate when n00bs do that, just remember anything you want comes from the commander, so ask him for what ever. Anything other than that im not sure, lol j/k, kormendi has it, that lil training map should help with most things... Well at least the simple things like killing a hive...
                Oyee

Comment

I started playing NS just a few months ago, and the community manual really, really helped me during my nubby days. Just spend some time studying that and it will probably make the complexities of the game more clear.

Comment

I played with people who don't suck, and over a month I managed to get a 4-12 score.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      Root, you also know how accessible I am. I'd be happy to help whenever I'm able, even if it means leaving the evening games I'm sure you'd be too hesitant to interrupt if I didn't explicitly ask you to (the point of this sentence).
                      Indeed you're always extremely quick to help anyone who asks in an appropriate manner Wyz.

If you want to learn the basics, training will surely be effective.
                      I think so. I cannot fathom why the marines don't lay down 3 IP's (is that the correct term?) straight away, or why they don't put lots of sentry guns down. No doubt there are reasons for this, but without the basics, I (and I assume other noobs) are left scratching our heads whilst being digested ;) Sometimes, NS feels like deathmatch to me. Obviously I'm wrong, because this is TG, but without a basic understanding, I can't understand why certain things are done.

I'm.... disappointed... to hear that you don't want to ask the stupid questions. It means we could all do better to foster a warmer environment. Please ask the questions. Please ask for help. Every time you learn something, it makes my gameplay -- everyone's gameplay -- that much more satisfying the next time you apply that knowledge toward the success of your team (or hell -- in the really great games -- toward your defeat of my team).
                      I disagree. Stupid questions take time to answer, and are better raised here than in game. Also, no matter how friendly the environment, some people simply don't handle noobs well. It's not their fault, no doubt they excel in other areas. Also, people have bad days. I know that I *try* to help newcomers to our CS servers, but some days I'm just not in the mood for educating them, and other days, I do rather well at it.

As a noob to the NS servers, I keep coming back because, whilst there might be some evident frustration now and again because I'm in the wrong place, *no one* has been in any way hostile or even unpleasent. When the game is going badly, people are bound to be a bit confused as to why I'm the wrong side of the map. I see that as human nature, not a lack of a noob friendly environment.

Root
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

The reason IPs and turrets don't flourish is the same which causes you to not have three cars and two summer homes.

That blow costs bling, baby. :)

Marines have a very few and important foundations to lay at the beginning of the game. If you drop three IPs and two turrets, you can't get armor one soon enough. You get the idea.

That's the beauty of an FPS/RTS hybrid. There's a LOT to consider. I've been playing the game for two and a half years, almost every day, and it continues to offer me new challenges. For that reason I love it.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Since when did 50 cent take over Wyz's account? ;)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                            Since when did 50 cent take over Wyz's account?

Comment

lol ad infinitum

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X