ex_interp settings on Ns server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ex_interp settings on Ns server

When ever i join my ex_interp gets forced from 0 to .033 . Why is the server doing this?
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Re: ex_interp settings on Ns server

ex_interp is a client setting which our server will not change at all.

Isn't ex_interp, when set to 0, subject to change automatically per the client's judgement?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That is correct. If ex_interp is set to 0 it will automatically be set to 1/cl_updaterate

As I understand it the ideal cl_updaterate is 30 for the TG server... anything higher will make no difference because server rate sv_maxupdaterate is set to the default of 30.

Setting your cl_updaterate above 30 while keeping ex_interp at 0 will cause a undesirable effect on a server with default rates.

As I said above this is only my understanding.... I have read a lot of opinions to come to this conclusion, but have yet to see much evidence to support it.

A few of these opinions support setting the server's sv_maxupdaterate to 100... it would be interesting to see how such a setting would effect hit registry on our server.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

It only started forceing it about 3 or so days ago. After Reading this http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/...1&hl=ex_interp
        On the NS fourms, the post about 7/8 or so the way down, i read this "Admins should play with ex_interp 0. It turns of smoothing and you will see who is using lower than desired rates (they appear VERY jerky)." and being an admin on GeekDomination (the |GD| tag i have, The Fourms for them is at http://emeraldforestseattle.com), i desided to try it out,and i could see those who had the rates below normal, and they were a lot easyer to kill, so i let it as my defult setting. Only now when ever i join like i said it forces my ex_interp to .033 so smoothing is now one, and i cannot hit things as much now.
        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost
          Only now when ever i join like i said it forces my ex_interp to .033 so smoothing is now one, and i cannot hit things as much now.
          That is the result of having ex_interp set to 0... it will automatically adjust it. If you want to have the effect of an ex_interp of 0, I suggest setting it to .0001.... that is close enough to zero that it will have the same effect.

With that said, a value of approximately zero would be completely undesirable. I believe this is the statement that has misinformed you... "Admins should play with ex_interp 0. It turns of smoothing and you will see who is using lower than desired rates (they appear VERY jerky)"

That is almost entirely false... try not to believe everything you read. (including what I have written, as I have stated before - I have seen little evidence to support the opinions I have read, and my knowledge is based on those opinions.)

The smoothness of a models motion comes from a lot of factors. If you are able to make the models jerky with a certain setting of ex_interp, you can then smooth the motion by adjusting ex_extrapmax.. Higher values yield smoother motion. Based on what I have read, the lowest value of ex_extrapmax that eliminates jerky motion is best.

Values I have been toying with are:

cl_updaterate 30
          ex_interp .033
          ex_extrapmax 4

These settings are very connection dependent... it is not an absolute.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X