Rate hacks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate hacks?

I had a not-pleasant experience on TG today that involved a couple of aliens with low rates who kept warping around. That + lerk pancaking = impossible to hit. I'm not sure whether they did it on purpose to get an advantage or whether they had bad connections.

So... questions:
    1) Do people have a legit reason for riddiculously low rates? Do people set rates below what you'd use for 56K?
    2) Is it allowed/should it be allowed on TG?
    3) Do I even understand what I'm talking about?

Re: Rate hacks?

Originally posted by Ballisto
    3) Do I even understand what I'm talking about?
    lol i hear ya man.

Comment

I have seen (and support) admin action take place against people with low rates. It should be banned from the server and punishable. Granted, you have to give them warning and time to fix, but eventually punishable.

Comment

What about people like me? I've had a FPS issue for awhile now? Not that major anymore, but it's still there.
        "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Karrd, I believe the idea is to address the issue of people intentionally chosing rates which they know to be advantageous in that they exploit known hitbox issues. I often find myself wondering the same thing, and get very frusterated when it appears to be intentional or preventable.

Cast my vote for TG regulating rates.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Very low rates can make you warp to other players. This would be things like setting cl_updaterate to like 10 (or maybe even 20). If I remember correctly the default updaterate is 30. Other rate commands may cause warping but im not 100% sure on what ones do. Another reason for players to warp is a ping spike, if your spike spikes 80 or so ms or higher other players may see you warping. Also I have seen that higher rates you have on your client the more people will warp, but if everyone is warping you should lower your own rates.

CAL has a plug-in that blocks low cl_updaterate and kicks anyone from the server if the rate setting is too low.

I belive there are server commands to have minimum rates its something like sv_minupdaterate or something like that, ill look into it later but I have to go to class now.

Comment

The default server updaterate is 10, cal minimum is 20, Playable is 30.
              USAR

Comment

I just want to say, if you think I'm one of those people who rate hack because I warp around occasionally, I'm not a rate hacker. I'm set at rate 20000 and cl_updaterate 60. I've been trying to fix this problem since I got this computer and nothing (including disabling my virus scanner, turning off my firewall, and playing at a LAN) seems to help me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi MCF
                  I just want to say, if you think I'm one of those people who rate hack because I warp around occasionally, I'm not a rate hacker. I'm set at rate 20000 and cl_updaterate 60. I've been trying to fix this problem since I got this computer and nothing (including disabling my virus scanner, turning off my firewall, and playing at a LAN) seems to help me.
                  Perfect counterexample.

-----

One one hand: abusing #@*&'s who comebine rate teleporting with pancaking to be impossible to hit.

On the other hand: people who have legit connection problems.

-----

But admins can tell riiight? So then you can add a "no rate abuse" rule and boot the abusers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X