Getting Good fps (100fps)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Good fps (100fps)

Getting 100fps is VERY important for natural-selection with 100 fps you will play the game better. Fps effects many things: more commands can be sent to your client, your guns shoot slightly faster(very slightly), scripts will execute faster, you can time your jumps better for bhop/strafjump, ect. All in all 100 fps just makes ns look much more smoother.

Now even on a somewhat good vid card(like a gefore4) you can get still get below 100 fps or your fps will drop with many things on the screen. To get the most constant fps you should use these following commands. Note these turn your graphic settings down slightly, the game still looks like ns but you will get more fps.

edit gah im dumb: Add these commands to your userconfig.cfg if you do not have a userconfig.cfg you can make one useing notepad. Make sure its userconfig.cfg and not userconfig.cfg.txt

fps_max "100" // sets your fps max to 100 use lower if you cant get it 100
    cl_highdetail "0" // not sure what this does but use it anyway
    cl_himodels "0" // less detailed models - they still look the same bascily
    cl_dynamiclights "0" // Makes lights less fps intensive
    r_detailtextures "0" // This turns off detailtextures, they still good pretty good though.
    r_decals "200.000000" // Limits the amout of bulletholes/blood crap on walls
    cl_showfps "1" // shows your fps in the upper corner
    net_graph "3" // shows connection rates and fps

Another thing you can do to get more fps is to turn your resolustion down playing at lower resolustions is generally better but its more just what you get used too.

If you are limit to 60 fps even with fps_max at 100 you need to turn off vertical sync. For geforecards go to your driver settings. Then go to the performance and Quality settings. Find vertical sync under the global settings, you may need to click the check box "show advanced options." Then slide the slider too "off."

LazyEye

Re: Getting Good fps (100fps)

Got any suggestions for why I have unstable FPS?
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

If you care about how smooth the game looks (we're talking fps here, afterall), please do NOT disable vsync.Vsync is very important for getting a smooth game, and a lower fps with vsync would be much smoother than a bazillion fps with it off. example, I have an x800pro graphics card, so fps in the HL engine is no issue. I can get 100 fps constant, but it looks so much smoother at 70fps with vsync. (70Hz is my monitor's refresh rate.)

Btw, I wouldn't turn on net graph as it's rumored to actually be capable of hurting your in-game performance. Also, detailtextures have were disabled in NS a few versions ago, as there was concern for people using brightly colored detailmaps as a form of cheating. I'm not convinced that high quality models/whatever highdetail is has a noticible effect on fps. If you want to improve your fps, make sure AA and AF are off, and lower your screen resolution.
      LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

<-- has an annoyingly unique setup.

I run winxpsp2 at [email protected] (thats a 16:10 ratio widescreen).
        I play ns @ 1600x1200 windowed (the widescreen just stretches the window out and looks ugly.

I have all the details on max, AA and AF on max.

Now, I normally play with fps_max 60, vsync on in my driver settings, and the game is smoooooth as butter (it has never gone below 60).

Last night i make fps_max 100, and my fps is at a consistent 99.9 the entire time no matter what is happening, and on my screen it is choppy as hell. So i say "oops, forgot to turn vsync off!" So i promptly turn vsync off.

And it still is choppy. Lcd refresh rate is 60 hz. Can't change it. So...what do i do?

Comment

The choppiness is just something you are going to have to get used to if you want to play at 100 FPS. The way I see it, your 60hz monitor is struggling to keep up with the high framerate of the game. The only way to fix it is to get an external monitor with a higher refresh rate (you're on a labtop, right?), or play at 60 FPS.

Just wondering: how much faster would, say, your LMG shoot with 100 FPS? The standard ROF is 10 bullets per second, how fast would it shoot at a high framerate?

Comment

I have a crappy video vard, even with all that I can only get 80 fps. But, I don't care as that's 20 more than I used to. I don't care about quality of graphics as much as being able to play without high loss/choke and good ping. You say vsync makes the game smoother? Where might I turn it on to try this out? (I have Intel Extreme Graphics 2, I'm not sure if I have vsync)

Comment

You can tell if vsync is on by looking at the FPS on the net_graph.

with vsync the FPS will always be a factor of 60 (if your refresh rate is 60Hz)
              on the net_graph you will see your FPS is 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc.

If you can't achieve a FPS of 60 with your computer and vsync is on, you will never get a FPS above 30.

Vsync doesnt make game play smoother. It eliminates tearing... this occurs when a portion of a frame is drawn on the monitor and a new frame starts drawing mid screen.

The way vsync fixes this is it only allows complete frames to be drawn on the monitor before switching to the next frame to draw. To accomplish this the same frame must be displayed for approximately 1/60 seconds or a multiple of that. 2/60, 3/60, 4/60, ... seconds per frame corresponds to 30, 20, 15, ... frames per second.

If FPS is 45 for example the seconds/frame will be 1/45 which is 1/3 of a frame longer than the desired 1/60 seconds/frame (the result is tearing).. while if the FPS is 30 the seconds/frame will be 1/30 seconds/frame which is a WHOLE 1 frame longer than the desired 1/60 seconds/frame. The key word here is whole... you want whole frames to be displayed even if it results in a lower frame rate.

I dont like the resulting effect in slower computers because the jump from 60 to 30 to 20 and back can be distracting in the heat of battle. It is helpful if you can consistently achieve 60 fps.
              Last edited by kormendi; 06-17-2005, 04:02 PM.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Kormendi is correct about vsync, all it does it get rid of tearing frames on your screen. If you have it off and have 100 fps you might notice small lines running across the screen, this is tearing, and that is what vsync gets rid of. Imo I would rather get 100fps with a little bit of tearing(after awhile you dont even notice it) than play with 60fps( I can only get 60 fps with vsync even though my moniter can go up to 85 hz.

Comment

if fps_max is 100, but i turn vsync on, will that mean that i will render 100fps (and therefore get all the game benefits) but only draw 60fps onto the monitor?

Maybe i can get smooth gameplay and the engine benefits...

I really love vsync @ 60 fps it is sooooo smooth.

But at 100fps my speed goes up between 50-70 units...

Its like having white textures...improve your game but make it less enjoyable?

Comment

uhhh having white textures is considered cheating.

I dont see why 100fps wouldn't be smooth, are you sure your fps isnt dropping suddenly? Also have you tried it on a non cheating-death server(prob not the problem).

Also you cant have vsync on and get 100fps you are always locked at 60 in HL, or atleast from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
                      You can tell if vsync is on by looking at the FPS on the net_graph.

with vsync the FPS will always be a factor of 60 (if your refresh rate is 60Hz)
                      on the net_graph you will see your FPS is 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc.

If you can't achieve a FPS of 60 with your computer and vsync is on, you will never get a FPS above 30.

Vsync doesnt make game play smoother. It eliminates tearing... this occurs when a portion of a frame is drawn on the monitor and a new frame starts drawing mid screen.

The way vsync fixes this is it only allows complete frames to be drawn on the monitor before switching to the next frame to draw. To accomplish this the same frame must be displayed for approximately 1/60 seconds or a multiple of that. 2/60, 3/60, 4/60, ... seconds per frame corresponds to 30, 20, 15, ... frames per second.

If FPS is 45 for example the seconds/frame will be 1/45 which is 1/3 of a frame longer than the desired 1/60 seconds/frame (the result is tearing).. while if the FPS is 30 the seconds/frame will be 1/30 seconds/frame which is a WHOLE 1 frame longer than the desired 1/60 seconds/frame. The key word here is whole... you want whole frames to be displayed even if it results in a lower frame rate.

I dont like the resulting effect in slower computers because the jump from 60 to 30 to 20 and back can be distracting in the heat of battle. It is helpful if you can consistently achieve 60 fps.
                      Enable Triple Buffering in addition to vsync, and you will be able to get any fps up to your refresh rate, not just fractions of it. This will remove any performance hit you might get from vsync, other than the fps cap.

(PS: there's no real point in having vsync off if you have TB on, as the extra frames you get with it disabled are only partially rendered at most.)
                      LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
                        Also you cant have vsync on and get 100fps you are always locked at 60 in HL, or atleast from what I have seen.
                        Not true; that's only if your monitor is refreshing at 60Hz. I get 70 fps, as my monitor refreshes at 70Hz.
                        LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

Half life will change your refresh rate sometimes though, rather than use your global settings. For most people it likes to pick 60, even if your desktop is running at 75. Half-life 2 will use your windows desktop refresh rate. (... I think that's the way it goes)

Comment

Originally posted by Pfhor
                            Just wondering: how much faster would, say, your LMG shoot with 100 FPS? The standard ROF is 10 bullets per second, how fast would it shoot at a high framerate?
                            If you're taking that ROF from the official manual, its way off. By messing with my framerate (from very low, like 20, all the way up to 100) I can vary my fire rate from a low of 15 bullets per second to as high as about 18 per second. Most people aren't going to have 20 fps, so getting 100 FPS is going to mean about the equivalent of 1 extra weapons upgrade when firing LMG or HMG, vs someone in the 40-60 range. It shouldn't matter at all with Shotgun, GL, or any other weapon.

Comment

I think I just found out why my skill level with marines can be so variable sometimes. On many days my average FPS can an average at 20-30.
                              "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X