Most Res on Ties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Res on Ties

I'm going to throw up my unbiased opinion as a substitute for the tourney about the most res accumulated being used as a tie breaker. I believe this is an....inoptimal way to have a tie breaker. The example being the early monday game. The first marine team won fast and quickly, and didn't accumulate any res. The second marine team went with electrification and map domination, and won through attrition. Nothing wrong with either strategy, and both were well played by the marines. However, it gave the second team a distinct advantage in the tie breaker because it took them *longer* to win, therefor they accumulated more res and won through that. It is my belief that you should switch the games to a 3rd round on the map for a tie breaker, using the most res or least time or whatever to allow the CHOICE OF TEAM for the third and final round.

Just my opinion.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Re: Most Res on Ties

After tonights game I agree completly.

Comment

Res-tiebreaker is bull**** and is unfair. I really dont see why we cant just have a third match to determine the winner, like logic would suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma
        Res-tiebreaker is bull**** and is unfair. I really dont see why we cant just have a third match to determine the winner, like logic would suggest.
        That part is easy to answer: This isn't TFC and 2fort where both teams and both sides of the map are impeccably balanced. To keep from having an imbalanced third match, we're trying to explore tie-breaking alternatives. If the rescount is proving less than optimal, we can revisit it. Until then, expletives will only hurt your position.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry. "Res-tiebreaker is bullcrap and is unfair." Better? We need some other system besides the res thing though, it isn't going to work out.

Comment

The admins and I are investigating this. A decision will be ready for the first REAL round of the tournament.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Res is really the only thing that both teams have equal control and oppurtunity (in the long run) for, which I think is why it is used for ties.

Why not just have it be whoever has the higher ratio? That way it doesn't matter whether it is a short or long match.
              "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
                Res is really the only thing that both teams have equal control and oppurtunity (in the long run) for, which I think is why it is used for ties.

Why not just have it be whoever has the higher ratio? That way it doesn't matter whether it is a short or long match.
                You mean something like (accumulated res / game time in seconds)? Sounds interesting, at least.
                [volun2]
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

Ratios can still be exploited.

The winning team can drag out the game to get a higher ratio.
                  And the losing team can end it sooner to keep their ratio up.

After doing some calculations, CP had approximately 80% of the res after the first round, and TD had approximately 75% after the second round.

Using ratios the match would have gone to CP, but if CP had let the match reach its natural completion instead of biting their hive to death, the ratio may have drifted into TD's favor. Its still exploitable.

edit: ratios used in this example are team res/total res

Comment

you could still skew it in your favor by locking down most of the map and then taking your time about killing the last hive/node
                    (you have 7-8 nodes, they have 1 node, the ratio increases in your favor every second you delay)
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Yeah, the whole biting the hive to death thing doesn't sit well with me. :-/
                      [volun2]

Comment

Heh... you can talk to micro about that one. :icon_lol:

Dont worry, its not gonna happen again... honestly, it was an experiment to test the exploitablility of the res tie breaker method.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                          Yeah, the whole biting the hive to death thing doesn't sit well with me. :-/
                          Marines had that game locked. The only reason it was dragged out long was to build more TFs to electrify and turrets.

Aliens almost managed to take back cargo only because the marine team spent around 2 minutes solidifying their position giving the aliens the opportunity to aquire new higher life-forms. At that point, the game was over, but the marine team's endgame was suffering.

Comment

If additional games are out of the question I would rather have a tiebreaker based on time than on res. People could exploit it by hiding on the map for as long as they could after their hive/base got destroyed (with no ability to rebuild), but that is a whole lot more obvious to spot (and stop) than the winning team intentionally dragging out a match to milk res. I don't think a time based tiebreaker would result in much of a difference in game play, unless it is the second half and the team that already lost the first half and realizes that they either have to rush base/hive or they have no chance of winning the match. Time based tiebreakers would give the winning team an incentive to end the game and the losing team an incentive to put up a good fight which is the way I think it should be anyway.

Comment

I made an executive decision (that didn't really make a difference) to try and bring this issue to a head. And it worked. It has been something that has been irking me since the inception of this tournament.

The best solution would be another match on a map either agreed upon by both teams or pre-determined per week (i.e. week3 tiebreaker map is veil).

The second best solution would be whomever one in the least amount of time. I don't like this as much because there are many time-specific strategies, of holding out etc, and this puts pressure to win quickly, but it is much better than having pressure to drag the game out for res.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X