Broken Record.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Record.

I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but lately, playing NS has become like listening to a broken record. Nine out of every ten games utilize the same strategy. MCs, Second hive, get a good fade, game over. I used to enjoy playing NS on tac because beyond the good teamwork and people, we'd have regular games where we'd just do something random. (Captains game: Sensory rush countered with Shotgun rush ftw!)
    It's gotten to the point where I enjoy combat more than NS, because NS has become so stale. Anybody else noticed this?

Personally, I think I'm just going to hang up my hat and call it a day on NS for awhile. It just isn't much fun anymore.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Re: Broken Record.

Play bf2. :D

The fade dominance was one of the things that most soured me on the game.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Ya I am in the same boat spyder. The balance in this version isn't to my liking at all and the devs fixing it isn't going to well. (Hey lets give the marines extra ammo.) I gotta agree with tempus but not on the fade part. It might be time to find another game for the time being.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
        Play bf2. :D
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=55451

I tell you what tempus, if you can make bf2 play on my machine, I'll build a 3 story tall golden idol of you, because you will have pulled off a miracle. (because it can't be done =P)
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

You said almost the exact same thing a month ago then came crawling back. I'll see you in a few weeks. :)

Anyways, I hope 3.1 will draw you people back to NS. (Wyz? You there?) I, however, will continue to play 3.0 obessively like I am now. BF2 has me hooked as well (I would enjoy it more if it didn't run like crap on my computer) but I still keep on going back to NS. There is just something about it...

Comment

the game play we're used to. the few stellar games that mix in with the so/so ones. the friendships. the teamwork-that's what brings me back day after day.
            As frustrating as the last couple weeks have been, I keep coming back because I know that things will return to normal eventually.
            --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by Keres
              As frustrating as the last couple weeks have been, I keep coming back because I know that things will return to normal eventually.
              Maybe us ns noobs will be able to enjoy playing when that happens. I've had a pretty disappointing time lately. A team commander being completely ignored by the entire team for a game that lasted an hour, an insulting personal remark by a reg, a captains game forced upon the server by one very vocal player, these things don't encourage new players.

Its not all doom and gloom - a brief and unexpected comment on how to do something better, a general lack of noobs taking grief for being noobs, bf2 taking a lot of the hardcore players away and giving new players the chance to learn before the server is again swamped with pros.

I'll continue to keep trying with the ns server, and I'll either get into it or I'll be chased away.

Root
              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

If you give up, thanks for giving it a go.

If you're chased away, I want to hear about it.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

....sad but i think i have to agree with spyder...the games aren't dynamic anymore. does anyone have any old demos of longer games? in the name of balance the devs have made the game better in theory, worse in practice. There will always be gripes to the game...but maybe the devs should not try and appeal to every little issue and instead should have said "are you having fun? yes? then nothing changes!".

Too bad.

I still can't put my finger on it, but the games used to be better...less...monotnous. People took risks, it wasn't so...repetitive.

! I got it! People do not take risks anymore, because if they take a risk and fail, it usually means game over! But it didn't always! The game and the players are at fault to this. Wyz said on irc today something very relevent: "People are far too concerned about winning.". If people cared less about "oh we lost already lets run around like chickens with our heads cut off" and instead thought "i am an elite TSA solider and the earth is going bye-bye if we do not kill these goddamn aliens" the games would be 10x more enjoyable from all.

more to come.

Comment

To this day, I had more fun with the buggy, broken, 1.04 than I have since. The games were truly epic, the fades were fun, hive rushes were non-existant, being a skulk was fun for more than the first 5 minutes...

I can remember battles on eclipse, where the heavy train was coming, the fades got with the lerks, and huge battles took place around the hives.

Nowadays, most hives are taken down by a sneak phase and a bunch of shotties. Fades fly around like birds. And the lerk is an afterthought.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

A lerk is a very powerful thing.
                      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

NS has seriously started to suck recently. The main thing is that we play the same old maps, but when there's a new map people leave. We had an amazing game on ns_orbital. And I'm saying that even though I was on the losing team. If we played more eon, orbital, rampage, agora, altair, ayumi, or even some of the medium-played maps with a lot of regulars/SMs, NS wouldn't suck.

Problem is...the BF2 fad took a lot of our regs so that's not so easy.

Comment

2.01 was the most fun so far...most of the more egregious bugs from 1.x removed, effective cloaking without the fun-killing focus, all lifeforms useful, all marine techs useful, close enough balance to allow for hour long games that were more than just base-busting stalemates, when base-busting stalemates DID happen they were often quite fun...

I like the bug fixes in 3.0x. And some times I enjoy a good game of combat. Besides that, what improvements does it have over 2.01? Even the vanilla marine vs vanilla skulk is less balanced in 3.0.

Comment

I just miss how the aliens could use the marines phase.

Comment

Whenever I say "Sensory = 1st chamber?" people get angry :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X