Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natrual Selection Mappers and/or Modders?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natrual Selection Mappers and/or Modders?

Anyone played around with NSIIs?

I've only used the builder once or twice, but its a nice tool. I wish they'd had remade more of the old maps, and I'd bet some people already re-made them.

anyone planning on using these?

Re: Natrual Selection Mappers and/or Modders?

I have tinkered around with it a bit. It's definitely no Hammer, that's for sure (it can be both a good and bad thing). The tool set is a bit fickle. If you mess with the geometry with the wrong order of steps it creates too many subdivisions (not sure if these are removed automatically, I can't find a way to remove them manually, very frustrating). Unlike Hammer you don't have to make all 6 sides to a room. You simply draw a 2D square and then displace it down. It'll create a room with all 6 sides rendered inside with the outsides not rendering a face (perfect for commander's view). This is great for designing a map layout in 2D top down view, then blocking in the individual rooms afterwards. Again though the tool set seems a bit lacking with seemingly no ability to remove faces and subdivisions. Navigating the 3D perspective is a bit cumbersome in my opinion thanks to this "dynamic grid" (grid lines don't remain constant and scale out as you zoom out) and the fact that the grid doesn't even show up unless you mouse over it. If anyone has any tips or tricks avoiding these issues (or maybe I'm simply missing something), let me know.

Unknown Worlds has published a great design pdf along with the tools that offers great insight into how maps should be made both for an aesthetic appeal and a competitive environment.

Comment

Are weldable tools in the kit, and just not used in current official maps, or did you come across them at all?
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I believe all those prefabricated doors are weldable by default. You'll have to walk up to them, press e on the panel to shut them for a few seconds then weld the door shut. Then they can't be broken by anything but an onos. Unless this was taken out of the game (I believe a lot of people just don't know about it and given the current map layouts, it's not a popular decision anyways). As far as an entity able to be tied to other objects, I haven't checked personally.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X