ns2_tgns_testlabs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ns2_tgns_testlabs

I have begun building the Ready Room. The rest will come as it comes. I'm still learning (only started Spark yesterday), but as of right now, the Ready Room has about... 4-6 hours in it.

I'd like to offer the map for collaboration within our community. Notice the "tgns" in the map title. This means that WE built this map, not just me. If I do 90% of the work, and one of you guys makes a room, the tgns will stay. If I do 100% of the work, and no one helps, the tgns will stay. It's OUR map, so I'd *LIKE* OUR hands to make it, but if no one is interested, it's understandable.

Feel free to download and host a server yourself and check it out. Again, I only BARELY started the map, and only BARELY started Spark. *Please note the map is not set up to play on a server yet. Please comment here or contact me directly via Steam if you want to know what to do to play the map in game*

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: ns2_tgns_testlabs

Added to the rotation.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I should point out that usually the map name is the game and mod, followed by the map name. The author isn't in there. People will think this is a mod map, when it isn't. You should just rename it to ns2_testLabs.level.

Though I DO like the idea of a community map project from TG... I don't know who else is here to participate. AFAIK, it's just you and me who map.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
      Added to the rotation.
      To the ROTATION????? hehehe

Also, just opened up the map. Good start. A note about textures: make sure you're not letting them get stretched out too much. When you have a face selected, it's "scale" is the size of a single TILE, not necessarily the face. Most textures in ns2 are designed to tile horizontally and vertically, so you should adjust your scale size to ensure the textures don't look stretched. Personally, I find most of the time I'm just setting their scale to 1, and slightly tweaking it to fit a wall, etc. For instance, here, you have a wall, and you clicked "fit" and that stretched the texture out to ~4.42 X ~1.14 So you should set the first dimension to 1.14 so it's a 1:1 ratio. The non-1:1 ratios are where stretching comes from, and you can get away with that in small doses.

It looks like a good start overall though. Geo is a little messy though, but you'll get better at that the more time you spend in the editor. There's lots of little weird quirks that you can't be taught, that you just have to get used to on your own. (ie how to get those damned axes snaps to just stop) Good luck!

I'd love to contribute a room or two once this map gets underway, but before then, as map lead, you'll need to come up with a layout first that these rooms will adhere to. IIRC, ns2_jambi and ns2_co_portals (also community-made maps) didn't do this, they just tasked rooms out to people and cobbled them together into a working map later... please don't do this! hahaha It worked for portals b/c each room was it's own little micro map, linked together with portals, so you didn't really need to worry about the map's flow.
      Last edited by BeigeAlert; 11-09-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Yeah... there's definitely a lot of learning to be done here. I've picked up a considerable amount.

More than rooms, I need detail. The problem, and most time consuming thing I've found so far, is taking entities and putting them together to form detail. I can scale entity detail to fit in the map easily enough, but it's certainly difficult to put together the level of detail original maps have. For instance, I noticed Y Junction (I think) in Veil, there are walls that have a face you can see, and no back, but the wall section is hollow so you can see the face with light texture behind it. I'm in the process of making that in that big round control room (which has changed considerably)... and it's CRAZY how hard it is to use this stupid line tool efficiently. Sometimes it does this, sometimes it does that. It's never consistent, even tho every single one of my floor tiles are all the same, just at different angles.

Here is the updated version to see the changes. PLEASE let me know if you decide to build something BEFORE you build it. I need to give you guys the most current version of the map so you can build in it, and I will hold work till you're done. Unless Beige knows a different way to do things.

As far as the name goes, I'm not concerned about that. I have no interest in the overall NS2 community playing my map. Technically speaking, the map is designed to play on the TGNS server, which runs the TGNS mod. So, if people want to follow that line of thinking, they're more than welcome to research the TGNS mod. But, the map is strictly for this community and the only requests that will be considered are those of people within this community. Therefore, it makes more sense to me to dictate the _tgns_ in the map, because, frankly, I could care less if BobThe1337Builder likes my map in OMGLETSWRECKSKULKS.COM server.

Mom
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
          OMGLETSWRECKSKULKS.COM server.
          I call dibs on that domain.

Comment

Scratch the last file.

Foundation of RR start is done. Will add detail, but that's the basic room.

Download it, load it into your maps directory in your ns2 folder, and see if you can find the secret room.

Hint: It's not a traditional secret room, and doesn't even really classify as a secret room.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Fresh update:

Main RR mostly done. Still needs lots of minor detail, roof, and lighting.

Added openings to team joins. Added beginning of secret room.

Screenshots to follow.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Screens:

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Update:

Lots of RR detail added. Exits added for team joins. Spectator exit added. No exits finished. Feel like inner room is... done or very close to done.

Not going to continue to post files unless requested.

Let me know if you want a copy of the map to see or play with.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

The 95% complete ready room for ns2_tgns_testlab is available to the public @ http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=194717153 - Please subscribe, download, and bounce around. Let me know if you find issues.

If you don't want to go that far, here are some in-game screens.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Mapping has begun.

Build first tech point, a few nodes, some hallways. Trying to keep balance in mind. Trying to keep pathing and texture in mind. Think I'm doing well.

Shots:

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...