NEW TG MAP - almost finished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW TG MAP - almost finished

I'm so close to finishing it that I wanted to show all you people. Instead of putting a few shots in the forums, I built it it's own page on my website with 47 screenshots and descriptions of the misc areas. I'm getting impatient with the remaining tasks before I can give it to you guys, but it'll be finished soon enough. Go check out what I have so far! http://op8322.com/NS_COLLIDER/Ns_Collider.html

Let me know what you all think.
    Thx, OP8
    _________
    <OP8-322>
    %#^^^#%

Re: NEW TG MAP - almost finished

Good. Can't wait to try it out.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

good deal
      "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

Marine Start, while wicked cool-looking, is begging for trouble.
        I like the choice-aspect of Proton EV.
        I'm very interested to see how Gravatic Induction plays out.
        In general, it seems like you can fall down a lot as a marine and be REALLY hosed.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I'm impressed, from some of the shots it looks like there is some more Z-axis thought in this one than others, which I personally love. I'm sure we could offer any beta feedback you need if you would like some tests. Let us know.
          -Zephyr
          You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
          We are not a single game.
          We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
          We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

I'm impressed, from some of the shots it looks like there is some more Z-axis thought in this one than others, which I personally love. I'm sure we could offer any gameplay feedback should you need it.
            -Zephyr
            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
            We are not a single game.
            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

I think marine start should be the most simple room in a map, it should be mostly flat ground with enough room to spread out buildings. Also I would take the lava out of marine start. All it will do is make the game take longer to end, make newbies die and a fade dieing to lava in marine start just seems really lame.

Also do you have a minimap layout of the map?

The map looks pretty interesting. The design of the rooms look fresh. Hopefully it plays nice.

Comment

I'd suggest, if you haven't already done so, to reduce the damage of the trigger_hurts and doors (or whatever that rotating thing is; I'm not all that familiar with HL entities) so that they don't kill fades instantly. The fade's controls are inherently rather clumsy, so these entities will claim a lot of less experienced fades if this is not done.

Comment

Lava in MS is not a good idea. Too many nubs are going to be all "zOMG I f311 1n!!!11 tihs map is teh sux0rs! LOLOLOLOL!" NSPlayer has left the game.

Comment

Fair enough. I can appreciate that. I've changed the MS slightly to make the lave "scenery" under a grated floor so it's still there in essence but not a nub threat.
                    I understand you guys' point and agree but I'm prone to building "Anti nub" maps and always have been. the whole map is filled with places that are intentionally intended to be profesional oriented purely on the premise that the people I've always enjoyed playing with on TG are more experienced and I like to provide an extracurricular challenge. (and maybe I'm just a mischievious bastard lol...) You think lava at marine start is bad, you should see some of my old Q3a maps... with automated rocket launchers that fired accross spawn points 3 seconds after spawn trigger to make sure people were on thier toes...(and it made a hilarious problem for spawn campers heh)
                    Anyway, I suppose the thought is that I like to have the map constructed in a way that makes people think twice about thier location on the floor as to add an extra level of hidden strategy in the architecture. I love watching marines get launched into lava by a fade swipe cause the marine was jumping around like an idiot and not looking where he was going- and I like knowing that the same fade could die just as easily by blinking around carelessly and randomly just to piss people off. But then again, I know I have a bit of a fetish for making people use the enviorment for more than just a room to shoot at a target. I also know that not everyone likes to have that kind of looming threat of the world around them, so I'm open to revisions and suggestions. Just let it be known that I would like to keep the map as difficult as possible without making it overpowering or unplayable to most users.
                    A few explanations:
                    Ns_collider has a dynamic Z element to induce exotic pathways for skulks and to give advantages and disadvantages to JPs depending on the room and which direction they were moving through it.
                    A select few areas in the map were designed to make spam style commanding near impossible while other areas are super easy to use this tactic.
                    The hives are designed to be almost "rock paper scissor" style tactic provoking. One hive almost needs a phasegate tactic while one works best with heavy armor and the last is best taken with jetpack rushes. each one was intended to be vulnerable to different things. All hives can be taken out with seige, but how easy it is to defend the seige is another story based on room layout.

I have put alot into the fundamental architecture of this map to put it "out of the box" from the playstyles of other maps. Hopefully it works out that way. I can see already though that some changes need to be made to make things a little more rookie friendly,and streamlined though, so please bear with me.
                    _________
                    &lt;OP8-322>
                    %#^^^#%

Comment

Its nice to see a solid, thought out idea behind a map like this, and I hope it plays just how you envision it, because it sounds and looks amazing.

Comment

Where's the Waste Handling.... every map has to have a Waste Handling (or a Sewer)!

But seriously, this map looks really great. I used to have a buddy that made maps for Doom and Quake in his spare time, and I know what a huge amount of effort it takes to crank something like that out.
                        I love your map theme too... I worked in a Cyclotron and on a Linear Accelerator in my past. The screen shots look great.... I think you should try some play testing with a group before you take people's advice by what they see in screen shots.

If you need any help play testing let me know!

Comment

not a noob map for sure! im with snappy really hard to tell how it will play by just looking at it. im for a map that is more challangeing then say hera or eclipse u know. dam my spelling sucks. hey by the the way ur 1 bad ass skulk.

Comment

Lol, bullet, I appreciate that. I love skulking and always have. It's my favorite part of the game. Leap and stuff is tricky for me though cause I don't use a single script in NS as well the reason why you wont see me as fade or lerk too often. I just can't parallel the play of lerk/fade/script players so I don't try.

A short story

The real reason I'm posting though is to inform everybody of progress and a recent inspiration to shoot some unsuspecting coder in the face repeatedly and urinate in the gaping wounds.... I have spent the last 55 hours of this weekend with only a few sleep breaks trying to recover what HAMMER did to my map. As of thursday night, I had ALL map geometry finished and was basically 15 minutes+ one more compile to being ready to playtest ns_collider. The problem was, that I was having some problems with the func_resource entities and found a suggestion on a mapping forum on how to correct it. I don't use the Hammer editor. The editor I use wasnt made for HL, but works 1000% better than hammer with the exception of limited entity support.
                            The suggestion was that I finish the map in GTK and then import it into Hammer just to get the right entity variables then compile it back in GTK. Hammer "supposedly" had *.map file support. all seemed easy enough. I load my map into hammer, set the entity attributes of !ONE! freaking entity, and hit save. Kill me now.

The outcome: hammer's supposed *.map file support decided that it would (these are specific statistics of my weekend...) (1). discard the texture orientation details of 1946 out of 3528 brushes, (2). round off vertex coordinates of all 3528 brushes to the nearest 8, (3). randomly create 20,000 unit tall one demensional brushes out of some of the detail work, (4). remove 54 brushes from the outer world geometry creating gaping holes in the hull and making tiny cracks in the hull randomly between what used to be perfectly aligned edges, (5). randomly align vertices or delete brush faces to cause "coplaner plane" errors, (6). OVERWRITE the wad keypair of the map to include EVERY GOD DAMN wad in the HL directory in a way that forced me to rebuild it from scratch by hand, (7). deleted EVERY sound emitting entity on the map....

Deep breath....
                            As I write this, I'm waiting for a test compile to complete to verify my success in fixing all the afformentioned problems. I never thought it was possible to have a more intimate knowledge of a map Ive made untill I had to go through and look at every single brush AGAIN and try to decide from memory if there was something different about it.
                            I'm going to try to have it at a stage where I can give the map to Wyz by this weekend to give it a playtest and to those of you with a sharp eye, I'd like everyone to keep on the lookout for things that still need to be fixed. I've spent so much time compressed into the last few days pulling my hair out over this and I'm sure there are things that I've missed. If I can see that the basic map is where it should be, I'll go through and re-add all the ambient sounds etc.
                            That's my horror story.
                            _________
                            &lt;OP8-322>
                            %#^^^#%

Comment

ok... test compile looks ok... and hey, at least it actually compiles at all now. (piece of @#$% hammer.) I'll give a detailed look through it ingame tommorow to check my work.

I think yellow asterisk may be the only one who appreciates this, but here's an excerpt from the compile log. Kinda scary aint it buddy?!?

Create Patches : 112557 base patches
                              1028340 square feet [148081088.00 square inches]
                              380 direct lights
                              Object names Objects/Maxobjs Memory / Maxmem Fullness
                              ------------ --------------- --------------- --------
                              models 67/400 4288/25600 (16.8)
                              planes 25474/32767 509480/655340 (77.7)
                              vertexes 30689/65535 368268/786420 (46.8)
                              nodes 12363/32767 296712/786408 (37.7)
                              texinfos 4367/32767 174680/1310680 (13.3)
                              faces 22848/65535 456960/1310700 (34.9)
                              clipnodes 32545/32767 260360/262136 (99.3)
                              leaves 7184/8192 201152/229376 (87.7)
                              marksurfaces 28784/65535 57568/131070 (43.9)
                              surfedges 106298/512000 425192/2048000 (20.8)
                              edges 54894/256000 219576/1024000 (21.4)
                              texdata [variable] 4544/4194304 ( 0.1)
                              lightdata [variable] 2940333/4194304 (70.1)
                              visdata [variable] 1447547/2097152 (69.0)
                              entdata [variable] 49798/524288 ( 9.5)
                              105 textures referenced
                              === Total BSP file data space used: 7416458 bytes ===
                              5831.17 seconds elapsed [1h 37m 11s]
                              _________
                              &lt;OP8-322>
                              %#^^^#%

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed