• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ns2_tgns_arclight feedback

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
    - team with fewer points surrenders once 16 non-AFK players arrive
    I strongly disagree with this change.

It one thing for people to surrender when playing against bots. People expect it.

People should not be forced to surrender just because someone joined the server when both sides have humans. If one team wants to give up because they are now at 16 players they can get together and vote concede.

You should not tell people that are having fun playing a round of Arclight that they have to stop playing the second we get to 16 players. The round should end when one team wins or one team gives up.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
      People expect it.
      TGNS regulars have long expected NS play once 16 players are available. This thread has said several times that arclight is a seeding map. I originally failed to enforce that programmatically.

I consistently /champion/ the arclight choice during seeding. I love playing the map. Its joy shouldn't complicate our longest-running expectation: 8v8 NS. Others may share your strong disagreement. If we hear a chorus of strong demand for more arclight despite less/delayed NS, I will gleefully revisit.

In the meantime, I'll add to arclight the "Server switches to NS after X players join." bots-esque on-screen advisories. At least then players will know what they're in for.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Sorry I've been out of touch with this thread. I didn't see the popularity surrounding arclight.

[MENTION=67241]HaX^[/MENTION] - the room is designed to be 2 sided. One side has lots of lights and the other has barely any. This is further fortified by the Alien and Marine signs over each side of the room. Alien's side is darker, Marines side is lighter. I'd like to keep it this way because we have created a haven for each team. Even to the teleporter is placed strategically. Marines clearly suffer more from darkness than Aliens, and are clearly at a disadvantage in that room. So the teleporter is on the light side of the room for this reason. Wyz didn't even know that. Trust me when I say that my design has taken in to account almost everything I can think of in that room, and it's largely, I think, why it plays so well. Wyz is right, it's intense in there, and the lightning makes it that way.

This is further defensible by the fact that you can actively learn which teleporter goes where, and strategically choose to land on the light side of the map. Even more is that flamethrowers illuminate the area they are fired on, so once the Marine team hits AA, a LOT of this darkness is exposed by flames burning floor and wall.

If there is a large outcry for more lighting on that side of the room, then so be it. But, in all honesty, I'm a very big believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I think (other than small team balancing) it certainly ain't broke. Rally some folks and come back to me with a few other names that want a little more light and we'll revisit. I don't want you to think I'm saying "absolutely not", more that I'm suggesting "I'd rather not."

And as to the whole surrendering at 16 players. I'm 100% behind Wyz on this. The countless hours he and I have spent on designing this map and others have been, so far, strictly in the hopes of more easily seeding the server. We have accomplished just that with arclight. I'm very behind moving on to NS2 once we can, as that is the cornerstone for TGNS and largely why we are all there to begin with.

That said, I'm certainly behind the idea of creating a night or even a secondary server that only runs arclight in differing variations (captains, bots, etc). But I am only behind those things if the focus still remains on supporting our TGNS community, insofar as to not take away from our NS2 games on a regular basis.

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

I'm behind on the 16 surrendering as well.

Can I make a suggestion on the teleporting then? Can we make it so that when you are falling you know which side you're going to land in? Maybe have some sort of area that is darkened near the teleporting area, that way we have a little notice to turn our flashlights on.

I'm not sure how the teleporting is controlled since it seems a little random to me. I have an inkling it has something to do with the position of the blades. If that is true, you could make the blades that are teleporting to the dark side burnt/black.
          HaX^

Comment

So the teleporter in the bottom under the platform is generic. It will be the same every time.

The teleporters leaving the spawning areas are all labeled with directional labels (NW, SW, etc) which can facilitate a learned pattern. As in, you can learn that the NW portal takes you to the lit side every time (I'm not sure if it does).

The problem is that I know a lot of people enjoy the lighting. I don't mind changing it, but, as it stands, I have a few names saying "Leave the lighting" and I have HaX saying "make it lighter". I don't want to shut you down, but how do I make everyone happy?

EDIT: In hindsight, I can change where that teleporter comes out under the platform. I will change it and update it to drop people in a more light friendly side. I think it currently drops you in total darkness.

Mom
            Last edited by YerMom; 11-20-2015, 04:39 PM.
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

-changed the teleporter under the platform to drop you by the teleporter leaving the pit in a lighter and more balanced area of the map
              [MENTION=67241]HaX^[/MENTION] - let me know if this is better or worse for you.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

[MENTION=67241]HaX^[/MENTION] if Mom's change doesn't behave as he's advertised, let me know. I would have claimed I'd coded that bottom-of-The-Pit teleporter to drop you from a RANDOM location in the ceiling, but maybe I'm making that up. If I'm right, we can adjust. I just don't remember.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I remember something like that, Wyz, but I can't confirm either.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

It did seem somewhat random before, but it might also be based on whether you're Alien or Marines. The only thing I do know is that if a Marine falls, and an Alien falls right after him, in the same spot, they don't teleport to the same spot.

I'll see if I can test the landing in a lighter zone. That should be good enough.
                    HaX^

Comment

- death resets the player's base-to-pit teleport delay timer

( if you died in your base immediately as you teleported back to your base as something expensive enough, you'd spawn to a timer telling you you couldn't yet return to the pit. that's fixed. )

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                        - team with fewer points surrenders once 16 non-AFK players arrive
                        This auto-surrender no longer happens during the hour before Captains Night. So, if we're gathering on arclight shortly before Captains Night, gameplay can continue regardless of player count until the event begins.

Comment

I have a suggestion.

Change the score column in the scoreboard to show, not the player's score as normally calculated, but time spent in "the pit" working toward the map's objective. For every point a player causes to be subtracted from the enemy's 1000 point pool, increase that player's score by one point. Not to downplay the importance of killing enemies, but I see a lot of players ignoring the pit and just camping at the outer wall, even when there are no enemies in the room. It delays the game and this can be frustrating for both sides.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X