Good rooms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good rooms?

I'm putting some thought in to NS map design and I was wondering if anyone has any favorite rooms. If you tell me the name of the room and the map it appears on I intend to examine it and think about what is making it a good room. Often being in proximity to other things makes a big difference too and I will keep that in mind.

If you can also think of examples of rooms that don't work particularly well for reasons you can point out that might be helpful as well but more than anything I would just like to get more of a feel for what makes a good area in a map.

Re: Good rooms?

A lot of people complain about Refinery in bast being marine and alien bias, but that normally only happens when they're losing. That room has to be one of the most balanced room in the game, for its size. That ramp on the hive end makes marines almost invincible, and the big wide open room makes lerks a devastating problem.

Eternal Reqeium (?) in lost is a room that I never see abused enough. Everytime I play aliens on that map, if the hive isn't Alpha, I go to that room and hide on the wall of the platform beside the node... wait about a minute, footsteps, node dropped, building.... SLAP "Yer Mom has killed _____" It never fails.

One thing aliens often fail to realize is that marines hardly EVER look up. Cargo in hera, viaduct in nothing, etc etc. Those ceilings are hardly ever abused the way they should be.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

I have two favorite rooms: Cargo on ns_tanith, and Laser Drilling on ns_origin.

Cargo's virtues are pretty obvious. It's got four exits (more if you're willing to count the vents once you get through the fusion doorways), multiple levels, both open areas and nooks and crannies, and both teams get PUNISHED if the other team is allowed to fully set up shop there. In NS, it's probably the closest thing to a quintessential room as you'll likely find.

Laser Drilling I like for a different reason: it's my favorite spot to drop OCs in all of Natural Selection. Nooks in the walls, a tight exit toward the lava catwalk... you can walk down from Marine Start and be hit by four OCs you don't even SEE until they start shooting at you.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Don't copy FPS maps, they almost always suck. Go rent a console game or play Myst and copy the ideas from in there.

Comment

West Core on Eclipse, always epic battles during sieges, three elevations. Enough "long distances" and "closed quarters" to really spice things up. Oh, and south loop is fun.
          USAR

Comment

One thing to beware of can best be seen in airlock hive on ns_shiva. I think they were just trying to add atmosphere by making the ceiling interesting, but the result is a deathtrap for lerks and fades, as well as the only hive in NS where the waypoint check gives a false positive. When trying to exit the typical siege spot back into the hive, this barrier is invisible, and because it's sloped you can get stuck in something you can't even see. So the moral is beware of trying to make a ceiling "interesting". Yes, it can make interesting atmosphere, but be aware that you are creating a very pro-marine (except for jp) area. This is why the vast majority of ceilings in NS are flat (or high enough to not matter for fleeing).

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
              I have two favorite rooms: Cargo on ns_tanith, and Laser Drilling on ns_origin.

Laser Drilling I like for a different reason: it's my favorite spot to drop OCs in all of Natural Selection. Nooks in the walls, a tight exit toward the lava catwalk... you can walk down from Marine Start and be hit by four OCs you don't even SEE until they start shooting at you.
              Also I find that if you're carefull enough you can out maneuver marines, as a skulk, even a gorge can easily move under that laser without dying, but a marine crouched will die everytime.

Plus I think everyone likes a mass suicide pit, like lavawalk on (oh heck I can't even remember, but it is the only one I know of). It makes it intresting, as it restricts the ability of skulks to ambuse (for once) and gives a tough time for those aliens that are leaping around (skulks, fades and sometimes lerks), which makes their death all the more humiliating.

One thing I don't really like is, dead pockets. For example, you come into a room and to your left is a short little pocket that does nothing for the map, it doesn't allow to conceal a marine or alien. It's utterly pointless, and was thrown in for no reason what so ever.

Marines and aliens love it when they only have to look one way, and behind them. You'll find that the more access points a place has, the more contest it results in. That's why the middle of the map is always hotly contested for and usually results in victory for that team. Just a couple of examples would be Cargo, Double, and Temp Control from a couple maps (sorry, I can't associate room names with map names).

As for Myst, that would be an awesome tool to use for inspiration. In fact I believe that Natural Selection is a sorta Myst with guns, marines, and aliens. You keep on returning to places, trying new access points, and every now and then you interact with the invironment, opening up doors, welding control panels, and building stuff.

Hope I helped,
              -Sirusblk

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                Also I find that if you're carefull enough you can out maneuver marines, as a skulk, even a gorge can easily move under that laser without dying, but a marine crouched will die everytime.

Eh, I thought that you could walk through that laser with out getting hurt. I guess i have to try that next time i am on the map.

Anyway On thing i hate as both sides are rouned doors. they are hard to get by as both sides, and more often then not my fade get stuck on them.

I need to go look around to find rooms I like. Main ly I like more neat rooms, that are not too large or clutered.
                Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

yo you need a tight power generator room that ha shuge coils that shoot death-arcs, i think more rooms where people can die are tight, i second the mass sucide pit notion
                  but more so the random death in the middle of a ridiculous 1 on 1 fight
                  those are word

Comment

Two things, these are features rather than actual "rooms".

The first is a negative - the hallways between Laser and double res on ns_origin. Every time I walk through those corridors, a little bit of the immersion is broken for me due to the partial transparency of the walls (they don't look flat, but they act flat, which makes the corners particularly annoying). So: if you're going to make a sloped wall, make a sloped wall!

The second is an observation: in ns_eclipse, there are very few actual "rooms". There are lots of distinct areas, but most of these are corridors, hallways, or intersections of said corridors and hallways. The model of "larger area with specific doorways" really only fits for the hive locations, Marine Start, and maybe South Loop. It makes the map feel more fluid.

~Zyd

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X