Mapping resources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping resources

If you guys will post a link and a brief description of mapping resources you find, I'll add them to this first post. For as long as there's an interest here in mapping, I'll leave it stickied.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Mapping resources

I'd like to ask anyone with resources to post here. Links, websites, etc. Also, for those of us who are learning how to use Hammer, I will be idleing in TS in the Half-Life engine channel for any questions you have.

Also, if you can't post images that you'd like to post, this:
    http://www.prophotohost.com/myspace-picture-host.php
    is a free hosting website. It will give you three boxes to copy from after you upload your image. The bottom one will have a link. Posting that link in these forums will give people access to the image you've uploaded. This can be used for people posting images of explinations, lighting, etc.

When Wyz mentions resources, I don't want everyone to think it's ONLY links to websites. Resources can also consist of you figuring something out and explaining it in detail. This is our sticky, if you think it's important to the mapping community, post it here by all means.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

I'd like to point out and save some people the trouble of trying to set up the Hammer version in the Source SDK for NS. All our individual experiments in setting it up failed. For a version that works, I think we'd all recomend Hammer Editor 3.4. The good news is that you don't have to run steam to run this like you do with the Source SDK, and the glitch were you scroll in the 2D views unsmoothly is not present in this version.

The bad news is is that it's not set up for any game, period. I'll be working on a tutorial to help those set 3.4 up to get it working for NS, hopefully done by the end of this weekend. I do plan on using screen shots, and will post a link here as soon as I can.

-Sirusblk

Comment

http://www.interlopers.net has an extensive list of hammer tutorials for the Source engine, which should carry over in large part to mapping for NS.

Comment

Very useful tutorials:

twhl.co.za/tutorialbrowse.php?tuttype=1

Posted in another thread by lagarto, moving here to keep as a resource / easy acess. All tutorials in there are a good read, and help you catch up with everything.

*These tutorials are for old hammer, so good for NS.
          Last edited by Donat; 09-22-2006, 12:37 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

http://collective.valve-erc.com/inde...hl&expand=func

Half-life entities, complements of the VERC

Comment

They don't make guides any better then this one:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/stat...uired_Settings

If anyone wants to learn, i took a quick look and MAN o MAN does it look sweet with all the info (including on entities i know now how to fix the commander view, sweet!)

Also could we get this thread sticked?

Comment

a great FAQ for problems and such

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/...61923#WHY2-4_2

Comment

back in the day i used to make a few half life deathmatch maps, cant remember the name of the program i used, but what program do i need to make a map for natural selection ?
                  There can be no greater pride than the egotism to quote yourself in an internet forum signature -Geriatric

Comment

Gerry,

It all comes with NS2. Open the source folder for NS2 (go into steam, right click NS2, click on properties, somewhere in there it will say show files on local drive or something like that) and you should see a .exe file in there called Launch Pad. In that program you will find the Editor (looks like a hard hat). In THAT program you build and manipulate objects to create maps.

I can walk you through some of the beginner stuff. I just started myself, so I've picked up a few tricks. BeigeAlert knows a lot of the advanced stuff and he's VERY helpful.

Let us know what you wanna do. You can also just run a search on your drive for launchpad.exe if you can't find the actual .exe file.

Mom
                    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                    Forever Perplexed

Comment

LINKSTORM!!!

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...-guidelines/p1

http://rudyk.wz.cz/tutorials.html

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...competitive/p1

Fair warning, it takes a LOOONNGGG time to make a level in ns2. It's been 4 months, and I am only just now feeling really comfortable with the tools and am able to refine a "look" for my level, rather than before where I would struggle with the tools, and kind of had to go with just what was easy. IIRC ns2_summit took about 1.5-2 years from start to finish.

Comment

DOUBLE POST ALERT!

Just wanted to point out that you should greybox test your map first. That means you make your map playable, but as bare as possible, so things can be changed quickly and easily, but no so bare that the gameplay is affected (ie no cover for aliens.)

Take a look at this video. This is NS2HD showing biodome in greybox testing. This is before Descent even came out, so that should give you an idea of how long it takes from start to finish, and keep in mind, there were 2-3 mappers for Biodome, and they were working full-time, along with some new art assets being made by a separate company. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91TqrdE4fI Take a look at the 1:45 mark where he brings up the map. Notice how it bears very little resemblance to what biodome looks like now, layout-wise. Notably, see there are two extra RTs in the south part of the map on either side of marine start. So at least they TRIED not copying Summit from the beginning... too bad it didn't stick.

All I'm trying to say is: gameplay is paramount. Don't get attached to any part of your level, or you may find yourself keeping an area that you've grown attached to. And it could be the case that this area is really just holding the rest of the level back from being great.

Comment

A good note to this thread:

If you decide to map, you need to have a good head for criticism and a good attitude. Once your map goes live, it will be subject to every prying eye. This, in turn, will do two things. 1: excite some people. 2: annoy other people. You will feel a divide. Is the map good, is it bad? People won't play it, while some people will beg for it. There is a very good chance that the map you have put hours and hours in to will only be played 20 times and then never seen again.

But, above all, you should be proud. Your countless hours of effort, even if they go unnoticed, are appreciated by a select few.. those of us who understand what it takes to put a map in this game together. I know how you feel. I know where you are. I've been there. Beige has, too. It's a very difficult thing to do, but it's an accomplishment that you should be proud of, even if it fails. Not because of the tangible thing, but because of the selfless effort you ventured to put forth for your fellow gamer.

Mom
                          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                          Forever Perplexed

Comment

Sounds similar to my experience as an NS2 modder.

I think it's all too common in the creator/consumer relationship. My wife works for two hours on dinner so my kid can offer on the green bean spices a lip-curled, "non-constructive critique" that makes me want to instantly auction him off on eBay. BUY IT NOW.

Being a Captain is trivial compared to mapping/modding/cooking, but I've seen this with Captains, too. "Somebody go Captain. Somebody go Captain. Somebody go Captain. Somebody go Captain. Somebody go Captain. Oh wow these team picks suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck." lol. Creator finally steps up where no one else would, only to be told how much his work sucks.

That's why the pride is so necessary when you create. If you rely too heavily on external validation, you're likely to have a bad time.

Same goes for if you too much ignore unbiased criticism.
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Toughest part is just getting people to play the map. Sort of luck of the draw, really. I say "who wants to play temple" and just have to cross my fingers that I don't immediately hear a dissenting opinion... because as soon as that one person chimes in, suddenly nobody wants to play.

I just don't understand it. It's not even my map, but many custom maps (and even a couple of officials) that just don't get played because one or two people don't like it. Okay, so no caged, or kodiak, or jambi. Let's just play veil, summit, and tram a hundred bajillion times... and then wonder aloud why this game doesn't have a larger player base.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X