Two Hive Map

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Hive Map

I'm still working on the map concept but at the moment I have planned a map with 12 distinct areas (most will probably be room-like instead of corridor-like) and 10 nodes.

The rooms closest to marine start on the flanks will contain marine bias elements, the front will only show marine bias in the way that I expect more marine to travel through that way since it leads more toward the center of the map. The rooms closest to the hives pointing toward MS will have alien bias elements.

The map's center will only contain one node but will have controls that work vents, doors, ect around the rest of the map that each team can toggle for thier team's bias. When used the controls will "freeze" for 2-3 minutes before they can be switched again by the other team. The advantage a team will have by holding the center will be more based on map control than the more direct double resource nodes.

My past mapping experience tells me production of a decent, detailed and reasonably sized map can take about one year when balanced with school and work. (Oh my, the crushing reality)

I have not decided yet if I am accepting help on the map. I will probably know once I create the first area or two. If people are interested in helping I will probably give instructions resembiling "Give me a room (x,y,z dimensions) with corridor access from the north and east, a vent on the west side near the ceiling, a node to the south, x-y-z textures recommended.

Just thought I would give the community a heads up.

Re: Two Hive Map

Originally posted by Irish Pirate View Post
    I have planned a map with [Two Hives]... and 10 nodes.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but those two don't really seem to go together. I thought the idea behind the 2-hive map was to limit the res count?

Comment

I thought about it and of course nothing is set in stone. To flesh out the map and get people to use the space I plan to use resnodes.

I'm leaving the marine team with three convenient nodes near the base instead of two and I expect marines to take the center of the map in the beginning as well.

The way I expect the nodes to go with the layout I currently have planned the aliens will probably end up with 3-4 total nodes (including starting node) and the marines will get 4-6 nodes. The idea is something where the marines take a more defensive role but to do it they have to be able to maintain res count while defending.

I want early contested areas to be the middle of the map and the second alien hive. I'm hoping that in most games the aliens will take the second hive but still give the marines a chance at pushing out and winning.

Comment

I like your idea, Irish Pirate, but the nodes do need to be limited to keep it small but still a decent game. Give to many nodes, and marines will be able to easily upgrade everything and over power aliens. The only counter for the alien side would be that 3rd hive, but since it's missing it already seems to tip the scales in favor of the marines.

I do however love the idea of early contested areas, as you never see that enough.

Vanilla Marines + Vanilla Skulks = Nice French Vanilla aftertaste

I'd love to help, especially since I'd like to see a visual cue in your room with the button that "freezes". I think I know how to do, after all it is only a matter of tieing together entities, and scripted events.

However if you do want me to work on a plain room, with a reasource tower, or ready room, or whatever. I'd gladly lend a hand, as I am very intrested!

-Sirusblk

Comment

Thanks, I probably will except help o nsome rooms and a decent readyroom would be a nice thing I probably won't dedicate the time toward making.

I've just gotten through naming "areas". One of the things I want to keep in mind regarding nodes is that when nodes directly border conflicting areas (between marine start and an alien hive) are the hardest to hold and spend a lot of time empty. Since this map only has two hives it's a much more intimate map. Marines won't have a far side to cap nodes the same way they would in a 3 hive map.

I plan to spend a fair amount of time revising and balancing this map after it's created, but I have already cut the node count. It's good to create something as close to balanced as possible so I don't have to fix it as much later.

Comment

Is this including that idea of marine start being a potential (but not starting) hive location, or is a relocate an instant win on this map?

Comment

Yes marine start will be a potential hive location.

Comment

I never thought about that, having the relocate screw over the aliens. I just never factored it in. It makes alot of sense, and I'm glad someone pointed it out, otherwise I would have been deeply humiliated later on. :)

-Sirusblk

Comment

There is a third hive for many reasons. if you remove the third hive, then please have a triple res room where the third hive would normally be.

If all the marines have to worry about is the 2nd hive, then the marines will get to that second hive 80% of the time. If they have to worry about the res room, 2nd hive, and base..and other nodes; then it adds more depth to the game.

I would definitely include a third hive though, as that adds to the pace of the game, as 2 hives VS prototech...aliens lose. 3 hives VS proto marines lose.

It's a must to have that third hive option open (at least for a rush) in the 15-20 minute mark, otherwise the aliens will lose unless they have significantly more skill on their side.

The aliens can always use the third hive as leverage block to clear out res nodes, bases, whatever. If the third hive option is not there, then you not only remove the chance for it but also the middle game leverage/flexibility that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by masterptg View Post
                    There is a third hive for many reasons. if you remove the third hive, then please have a triple res room where the third hive would normally be.

If all the marines have to worry about is the 2nd hive, then the marines will get to that second hive 80% of the time. If they have to worry about the res room, 2nd hive, and base..and other nodes; then it adds more depth to the game.

I would definitely include a third hive though, as that adds to the pace of the game, as 2 hives VS prototech...aliens lose. 3 hives VS proto marines lose.

It's a must to have that third hive option open (at least for a rush) in the 15-20 minute mark, otherwise the aliens will lose unless they have significantly more skill on their side.

The aliens can always use the third hive as leverage block to clear out res nodes, bases, whatever. If the third hive option is not there, then you not only remove the chance for it but also the middle game leverage/flexibility that comes with it.
                    The point of this was not to debate the existence or function of this map. I have faith in my ability to follow up the map and balance it to make it work regardless of the setup.

The main battle of the map should be marines defending against two hives with enough wiggle room that one team can push out and break the stalemate.

This project is on pause until I finish helping Yer Mom out with the community map project.

Comment

Good luck :).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse