Map making Progress Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map making Progress Thread

Instead of making individual Posts from now on... you can post pictures of the progress on your material.

Emergency room seige location (pretty much done)

Told you Sirus's was 10x better than mine :(

Re: Map making Progress Thread

I like what you've created, xtc. I think there's some balance stuff to address (more blocked LOS, etc), but I'm guessing that's the easy part once you get as good as you clearly are at creating an environment.

You guys are doing fine.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Make it bumpy. There are a lot of straight faces there, and textures (like that beam) that are DYING to be more three dimensional.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
        Make it bumpy. There are a lot of straight faces there, and textures (like that beam) that are DYING to be more three dimensional.
        Thanks for the comments. I'm sorry its my first week mapping what do you mean by make it more bumpy?

The next room I make will not be a big box. I just didn't know how to make it more round when I started, and decided to just finish it out as a box.

Comment

I feel this looks good enough now to post some pictures. This is the readyroom, be burtal plz, anything that is wrong to change is something it could improve.

As you can see, i've varied textures, lighting and such. Don't comment that one of the lights are off in the picture, its intended ;) Anyway i had it looking differently but after some suggestions about where to put the join_teams from Irish_Pirate i think it looks drasticly better. Now that it's pretty much done, i can move on to making rooms. (Unless there is something horrific i should change)

Comment

Can you make either the join team text smaller or the portals further apart. I don't like it the way it is for some reason.

If you want my emergency lights for where the yellow and black floor is I'll give them to you because it matches my room lol.

Comment

Either is defintly doable, waitin for more posts just in case so i'm not changing ever few min.

I guess it would be better perhaps to have the smaller joins, that way it would look alot better.

Comment

Smallerize them, and maybe, if that's in game, add some new lights. I can see a lot of detail shadowed by darkness, which means a lot of people won't be able to enjoy it (atleast thru the screenshots). Maybe just add some lighting so we can see more texture detail (since you said there is some) in the screenshots then remove them when it goes in to the map.

-Mom
                Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

One thing on xtc, now that I notice it. The walkway from the door leading down the ramp is extremely thick. Or atleast it looks that way to me. Maybe smallerize it. (It's shown clearly in the first screen shot)

-Mom
                  Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Remeber that it is 'low' lighting, but also your looking at a darker screenshot on a white backround on a lighted moniter. So it will be a bit darker then it actualy is. But yea, i guess the rock lights could stand some higher brightness, i just like the look of it dark, and you can still see most textures.

Comment

I suggest spending some time playing with entities and seeing if you come up with any fun ideas for something interactive. If you have 3-4 buttons it will encourage people to explore the readyroom while they wait for a game.

Comment

There is a reason that light is off ;) and there is another as well. I guess i could add more, i was gonna add something in the skybox (No, not a big box with sky on it. The glass box across from the Join teams) where it would be Blue Red and Green buttons that you could toggle the lights in the join team areas, and possible some other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                          One thing on xtc, now that I notice it. The walkway from the door leading down the ramp is extremely thick. Or atleast it looks that way to me. Maybe smallerize it. (It's shown clearly in the first screen shot)

-Mom
                          I know. The ramp being thick is one of those problems where I can't really fix. If I make it thinner, then a marine can walk under it and that would be a problem.

Its one of those issues that I can't really change nor explain because of the way I planned my room.

Comment

You should set up like 5 really convoluted easter eggs in the RR that no one could figure out. Like Myst.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies View Post
                              You should set up like 5 really convoluted easter eggs in the RR that no one could figure out. Like Myst.
                              There is a tfc map where the secret room required pressing 5 invisible buttons in sequence and then walking through the illusionary wall that was previously blocked by a door.

I would advise something a tiny bit more straight forward though. Buttons being things that resemble buttons or panals.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X