Wad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wad

I'm still relatively pissed at my computer, slightly too much to be bothered to actually go try this, so I'll post the the forums instead and waste valuable minutes of your life.

What's the chance that a HL2 wad file could be substituted for the normal HL textures? The main graphical difference between the two games is the textures - if you could import HL2's texture set you could end up with what is virtually Source level graphics in NS.

Possible? Bad? Ugly?

Discuss.

Re: Wad

I'm thinking that you would hear a voice coming from somewhere in your pc case that asks "Shall we play a game?".

Don't be tempted man, don't be tempted.
    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

NS can't handle most of the effects in source like the shaders, normal-mapping, etc. Most of sources textures are also a higher resolution like 512x512, where ns is usually around 128 or 256. Technically you can use 512x512 in ns (I believe this is the maximum of the engine), but it would be bad performance-wise on most people's pcs.

Also I dunno if it is your intention or not, but for a map to be considered as an "official" ns map it needs to stick to strict performance guidelines which would rule it out.

Comment

You could get similar textures

Worst case you would have to export the files from the wad and converting them all to jpg then re wadding them.

Comment

Is the weird tone coming from some kind of legality problem with it, or is it a performance issue, or both?

Comment

Legality can be avoided with utilities that convert existing HL2 files maybe?

Also, replacing the original NS.wad would probably upgrade most textures in default maps.

Performance might be an issue, not because of the system, but because of the engine.

Comment

No weird tone intended, I say similar because I don't know how well the originals would copy over. If you can get a wad out of those half-life 2 files you can probaby use most of the textures. I just don't know if there would be a difference in quality.

It's just a picture, if you can get the 2d picture out of half-life 2 and in to any photo editing software like wally then there is a way to get it in to NS. You might have to make the picture larger and enhance the quality so you can later shrink it in NS to get the same quality but thats probably not the case.

Comment

The Half-Life engine is not capable of using Half-Life 2 textures. It's like trying to load 35mm film into your digital camera.

The only possibility would be to extract the individual textures from the wad, resize/re compress, and re wad them.
                birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I'm mostly looking for the resolution, color depth, etc. I don't need the "prettyness" of the half-life-2-specific textures - what I want is a map that doesn't look like I'm seeing it through a moldy screen door.

In other words, I want it to look more like reality and less like Doom.

Possible?

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss View Post
                    The Half-Life engine is not capable of using Half-Life 2 textures. It's like trying to load 35mm film into your digital camera.

The only possibility would be to extract the individual textures from the wad, resize/re compress, and re wad them.
                    Are you sure this is the case? I don't recall any limit to texture size/quality. You could possibly get better resolution by taking a larger texture and setting it to a smaller scale, but if you do it a lot it will probably have some undesirable side effects.

Anyway, if you just want things to look more real my suggesting is use lots of textures. Make all your walls out of at least two textures, and construct brushes that complement the scenery. For example, you can have a texture of a pipe, or you can make a pipe. Break up any flat surfaces with architecture/rocks/alien infestation goop/whatever fits with the area. And make sure you align your textures well.

Models and sprites might also aid you in creating a more realistic environment. I think there are some good rock models.

Comment

I might be getting unpissed at Hammer.

We'll see, it might depend on how much free time I have - most of my midterms are over so perhaps I'll burn all your eyes with hideous cave shots.

Don't expect too much from my mapping, especially in the way of aesthetics - A) I'm used to Source and B) I'm still new at the pragmatic side of it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X