ns_incubus- WIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ns_incubus- WIP

Aighty, I'm currently working on my first release-quality map. ns_incubus. It is standard-ish but has a few special things including:

In marine start- a halfwall with 1 way glass that can be broken but has a "blast shield" marines can raise to help protect it (that removes the ability to see thru it though)

A "hole" in the hull of the station that will suck out anyone in the room if the force field it lowered (must be lowered inside the room, so it's a jihad move). This is in a major crossroads room, so both teams will have to be wary near here (this may be removed, as it's proving hard as hell to get the push triggers right)

a freezer with a frozen floor (variable traction anyone? :) ) to make for some interesting "slide fights" (icy floor + skulkleap w/ celerity = win?)

various other elements to make it seem like a human vessel that haven't been included before (Mess hall, food storage, restrooms, ect)

If anyone has some good textures for, say, restrooms, I would dearly like to use them. I'm horrible at making my own textures :(
    Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!

Re: ns_incubus- WIP

"variable traction" and "standard-ish" don't really go together very well.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I meant standard-ish as far as map layout and style. It's a normal NS map with a few twists :D

BTW- if anyone here is an excellent texture'er, would they be willing to help me out? I have a horrible habit of exceeding my texture limit... :(

Comment

Use the Half Life wad (Found in another thread some where in this part of the fourms) Any texture from half life is safe to use in NS.

Comment

Cool.

Another question- is anyone here good with multimanagers? Can you explain to me how they work and how to make them work?

Comment

Go look in the maping resources, there are some tutorial sites, i know the one i posted had something on multimanagers.

Comment

Running into a bit o a problem...

Mod_NumForName: C:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/[email protected]/half not found

it is a fatal error, and it prevents my loading up my map when I finished compiling (with no errors during compile btw)

so far, the NS.org forums haven't been any help. Please, can someone help me???

Comment

To start with, is your halflife folder named "half" ? Or is it truncating the error message?

Comment

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\ha lf-life\ns

Could the dash be the problem? If so, why didn't my earlier compiles of the map have this issue?

EDIT- I removed EVERY Entity from my map except the map critical ones. Guess what- back in business... now I need to find out what ones were mucking it up :(
                  Last edited by Kittamaru; 12-01-2006, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Most likely on either a model or a sprite you typed in the wrong path for the file. Common errors include using a / isntead of a \, putting spaces where they do not belong, misspelling words, and forgetting numbers of file extentions at the end.

EDIT: it could be sound too, anything you have to import in to the map.

Comment

Fixed that problem... now a new one.

Map loads fine, enter RR... sv_cheats 1 since I'm testing by myself...

join a team, any team, and the game freezes. Full lockup :( No idea why :(

Comment

I don't know what entities are involved in initializing the game. In TFC there was an entity "tf_infogoal" that let you set everything up. I imagine something similar for NS and thats the entity I would start by looking at. Other things that could potentially cause problems. The game might potentially crash if the closest RT to MS is also the closest RT to a hive (I don't know this for a fact, but it would be worth checking). If there is no RT within a certain distance of a hive or MS. If there is no light in some room of the map. If one of the hive entities is set improperly or there is no command chair entity.

I'm trying to think of things that would happen near the start up of the game (placement of hive/rt/com chair entities) or that might crash it when you went to a certain area. If you have any triggers that go off once the game starts those could also do it. Triggers without a delay can crash servers pretty well if they get set off indefinitely, and sometimes the trigger_multiple delays don't work like they should.

Comment

Good point about the lights- I'll have to see what I can do about that. That and I'll have to check my map property entities.

Comment

Good news bad news:

Good news- I fixed the origional error. All parts of the map work fine individually (it's how I found the error)

Bad news: The map gives me an unreferenced memory location when I put it all back together!!! :(

This is driving me insane...

Comment

Quite the interesting problem, can you post the exact error message?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X