Remakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remakes

I've noticed lately that a lot of people don't like some maps. I've recently come into some time, and have decided to spend it remaking ns_bast so that people will enjoy it.

I have a few requests as far as our maps go. Since TGNS is being so kind as to let us use this webspace for our mapping, I've decided to dedicate all maps published by this group to TGNS. Instead of naming maps ns_blahblah, name the final version tgns_blahblah.

As far as ns_bast goes, I've decided to revamp it. Donat is working on his own map, and I realize that he has limited time, but I'm probably going to get him to join me in this endeavor. I need ideas, dislikes, and concerns. I've already decided to completely revamp the vent system, and I'm going to add a node above Engine. The map will be changed rather drastically, but it will take time for me to do so.

All of your ideas need to be implemented here. If you're contributing an idea, or a portion of the map, then I need completely detailed expressions of what needs to be changed, or what you have changed.

Hit me back.

(As far as any other remakes go, I request they be posted in this thread. Individual ideas can have their own thread after they have been discussed by the team.)

It's good to be back. :P

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Remakes

I suggest a couple of changes for bast that might add a new dynamic.

Top of engine hive, remove the dropping door at main aft and replace it with a large sliding door behind engine. This would eliminate the unnecessary deaths (plus the button-play) at main aft when people get crushed by the door. This way it would still be a fairly easy path to the hive, but still have the door impeding progress. just dont make it close enough to the hive that rines can build sieges behind it.

next: bridge. this area has always been extremely cumbersome to navigate both as rines and aliens. as a higher lifeform it is almost impossible to navigate. fades have about half an inch in any direction to blink and an onos cant even fit. also, the multitude of ladders, plus the little space overlooking lower junction are kinda pointless. I recommend streamlining it some.

refinery: this is the biggest friggin hive in the game. the reason this hive is almost impossible to take is because in order to siege it, you have to be in one of two very very cramped areas, both of which are easily biled from cover by gorges. if you're inside the hive, you're hosed because fades and lerks will tear you to shreds due to its huge amount of space. I think we need to add something into the interior of the hive that keeps it a little more balanced. my main suggestion would be to extend lower junction out toward refinery a bit more, moving the ramp elbow that goes into the hive about 50% closer. also, cover that ramp. this gives marines a fair advantage to bottleneck stupid aliens, but also gives aliens ample opportunity to defend the hive if they play it right.

heres a map indicating the basic idea of the changes:

Comment

Don't mess with the vents. The vents are the only things that make this map navigable for skulks. Without the vents, skulks have to run down LOOOOOOOONG hallways with no cover.
      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

I dont think the idea was to remove them, just to change them. Some of the vents are archaisms left over from earlier iterations of the map, that really don't make sense any more.

A prime example is the vent that connects Atmospheric to Engine Hive. That vent used to connect to Marine start, "N" corridor, and finally come out inside Engine. But with the remake, the connection to Marine Start is removed, the connection to Engine doesn't quite get there any more, and the routing that requires you to run all the way behind marine start serves to do nothing except waste time. Its a really long vent for not much benefit.

Comment

Kero's right. My proposal simply changes a door location, extends a hallway, and streamlines the vents from bridge (and streamlines bridge) to refinery. Removing vents isnt in the agenda.

Comment

I concur with Kero. I'm running into one problem. I can decompile the map, but from what Donat and I have found, it'll just be easier to ask for it. The problem is I don't know who, where, or how to ask.

Anyone?

-Mom
            Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Mendasp is the one responsible for the "official" version of bast. He also recently released a more original version here.

Comment

I officially have permission. Ideas and volunteers speak up.

If anyone wants in that is.

If not, I'll do it alone.

-Mom
                Yer Mom /O>

Comment

I can think of a few things that can be fixed. I need to take a look around the map first, it been forever since I last played it, before I throw anything out.
                  Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I would volunteer, but I have ABSOLUTELY no mapping experience. Probably be better off if one of you more experienced mappers took up the task as it would take me a month to get one of the changes completed. However, If someone would like to go on-server and get a more accurate depiction of where I'm suggesting changes, let me know and i'll be happy to oblige.

Comment

That was fast. And you know i'm up for it, was getting lonely doing that other map alllll alone, and i'd love to see a version of bast that didn't make people cringe.

Comment

Ferris, I can teach you the basics. Donat knows quite a bit as well.

If I need to, I'll get you on TS and run you through it, but it's been a while for me as well, so I've got to get back up on the whole thing.

As far as the map goes, I just need to decompile and get started. I think I'll actually start right now.

-Mom
                        Yer Mom /O>

Comment

And just as I officially have permission, I officially have hit a block in the road.

It seems that it's impossible to decompile a map to provide a workable version. As far as I can understand, the decompiling process is going to do one of several things. I'll either have a non-textured polygonal map that I cannot edit, or a textured map with messed up polygons. There are other problems with decompiling, but these are the most prominent.

Also, from what I understand, the only way I can edit this map is to recreate the entire thing from scratch. I have one other option, and that's to ask for a editable copy of the map. I've asked mendasp for an editable copy of his latest production, but I can't say if he will give it to me. If he can't, he will atleast give me a way to contact the original author of the map so I can ask him.

At any rate, this means I can't get started until I hear from mendasp, unless one of you know of a way to decompile a map to provide a usable copy of the editable file.

-Mom
                          Yer Mom /O>

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                            ...Instead of naming maps ns_blahblah, name the final version tgns_blahblah.
                            Yo, I know this is the least of your concerns, but you won't be able to name them like that. As far as I know NS maps won't work properly if they're not named ns_anything or co_anything.

I tried running a map called "test.bsp" once and it wouldn't give the proper spawn points and some other issues, I renamed it to ns_test and it worked. I remember reading about it somewhere too.

Anyway, you could still make it ns_tgns_bast or something :p

Comment

Maybe thats why marine spawns wouldn't work on my map (currently named 'pipe hall'), i'll have to try that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X