The NS2 Mapping Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NS2 Mapping Project

Greetings Mappers, Drawers, and Tactical Gamers alike.

I would like to start talking about making an NS2 map, this time in a formal setting.

(This does not mean I will stop working on the NS map)

Since the NS2TR is looming and i read up on it a bit i think its time to move forward and see who would be interested in developing a Serious NS2 map.

Participating in this project would mean you have an interest to contribute and plan to. Meaning I don't want you saying your interested but never have any plans to assist the team. Also it would be helpful (but not req) if you knew a basic working of the source SDK.

My plan for this map is to first call on you, the TG community to see if enough people are interested.

The 2nd phase would be to start setting up meeting dates on a vent server or Teamspeak server and start brainstorming.

The first few meetings would include:

General NS2 Chat about tactics
    Location Ideas.
    Map Ideas.
    Room Ideas.
    Key Mapping Points.
    Important issues.
    So forth.

After that we would make sure we have a nice layout (If we get a person to do conecpt art that would be nice) and start work on rooms. We will have to be sure when working on these rooms to adhere to the drawings.

So you have it, after that its a uphill battle. While i don't want to make strict deadlines, i'd like to have updates and make sure of everything. If some one can't do it for whatever reason we need to make sure to keep up.

Now TG, who wishes to help

(Post here, feel free to converse as well.)
    Last edited by Donat; 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM. Reason: Edited

Re: The NS2 Mapping Project

Reserved For Project Roster

Comment

Reserved For Changelog/updates

Comment

RESERVED FOR POSSIBLE other things.

Comment

FYI: you can't edit your posts after more than a few hours.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Oh. Hmm. didn't know that, sorry for the pre-post take ups then.

Comment

I'm in. Although i'm almost certainly doing my own crazy fantastico NS2 map, i'd love to contribute 10-30% to a collaboration map.

You all know my mapping abilities from Nexus, but don't assume that my style is necessarily so complex. It was simply the kind of map I always wanted to play, hence i made it.

I have Source experience. Its kind of a strange sort of experience, since i started mapping on Source and learned all of the awesome new tricks and triggers, while my underlying mapping ability was horribly newb. I then moved to HL1 NS mapping and thoroughly upgraded my abilities over the 18 months it took to create Nexus. So now, it'll be interesting to see what i can do with Source.

For this project, I would like to take a fairly lead role. Obviously we would discuss and decide on all the specifics of the map as a team, but I see myself playing a strong role in said team. As mentioned, I would love to do even as much as a third or more of the map. In the situation where certain people disappear, i'd likely pick up their slack and really contribute to make sure the map became a reality.

So yeah. Lets wait to get a few more people signed up, and then we'll start discussing the map abstract.

I'm in.

Comment

Is it really only me and stix interested in doing one or is everyone else just not coming to the fourms? hehe.

Comment

Won't it be hard to map for a game you can't even see the beta of? Sure it will have similairites to NS, but it just seem like so many little things will change that will bork a map?

Maybe after doing some initial work on the map check in with the devs to get their input, that could help.

Comment

Here's what I would do: make a prototype. Create a map you envision will be NS2. Then when NS2TR is released you'll have most of the ideas done, including how to implement them while you recreate the map with the NS2TR.
                    USAR

Comment

No one seems interested squeak so i'm not so sure i'll do it.

Comment

Pfft, with the chance to make some $$ I'm not sure why someone wouldn't at least attempt it... at the very least you expand your portfolio. I plan on jumping into some designs myself once I've gotten a full refresher on programming.
                        USAR

Comment

Hammer isn't fully about programing... Unless you want to make some custom entities but then that get complicated. Chance to make $$ or not still :P

Comment

Originally posted by Donat View Post
                            Hammer isn't fully about programing... Unless you want to make some custom entities but then that get complicated. Chance to make $$ or not still :P
                            Oh, I just meant that as in I'm tied up right now doing other things, not the programming is keeping me from Hammer. I'm actually writing a few games using the XNA framework. They're simple, but lets me feel like a programming god.
                            USAR

Comment

Heh, well thats good. You offering to help with a map squeak? maybe we could even program a own model or sequance. the .QC script isn't hard, its just different. I can make models n' junk and such.

I played NS again and its still fun and i picked up my NS map again and its not really that far, i'm gonna try to finish it... Stix! i know your on the fourms of NS asking for the mapping tools you still want to make a map i would gladly help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X