I really need help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need help.

Ok, so for a little while now I've been having problems hitting things in NS. I thought this was simply becuase my FPS issues make aiming difficult (as well as apparently making my guns less effective) and becuase I don't really work on my gameplay skills as much as I could.

Now, today I've been having a bad day, and for most of the time I just thought it was poor aim and stress messing with me, but there were a few times I was pretty sure I should have gotten a kill, but I didn't. Then, a little while ago, I had an HMG, saw a cloaked skulk that was moving too fast and was visible, so I took aim and fired dead center on to him. I saw the bullets passing through him, and but somehow he recieved no damage (he remained cloaked until he tried to bite me).

So, could someone, please help me find a way to solve this. Becuase if I can't reliably do damage, I don't think I'll be able to continue playing NS (no matter how much I love the game). What would you need to know to help me, and step by step what can I do to hopefully solve this.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Re: I really need help.

What are your rates?

cl_updaterate
    cl_cmdrate
    rate
    ex_interp
    ex_extrapmax
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

cl_updaterate 15
      cl_cmdrate 15
      rate 25000
      ex_interp 0.1
      ex_extrapmax 1.2
      "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Is it your computer that cant keep up with the game? If so im sure nsarmslab.com has some custom models that are lower poly, so your computer should be able to handel it better, less polies = better fps.
        Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
          cl_updaterate 15
          cl_cmdrate 15
          rate 25000
          ex_interp 0.1
          ex_extrapmax 1.2
          Might I recommend

rate 15000
          cl_cmdrate 100
          cl_updaterate 60

That works very nicely for me. I barely smart enough to set these variables for myself. It's rare I feel qualified to explain how they work to someone else.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'd raise your cl_cmdrate and updaterate to 30. There are some downsides to going higher than that, although I can't remember precisely which drawbacks go with which variables--but there shouldn't be any problems at 30. It shouldn't even hurt your framerate significantly.

Your "rate" is fine. Don't touch it.

Comment

I hear you card, I've been having the same problems for a long time now. I even briefly quit NS because it had gotten so bad. I remember a time when my ping was in the 60s and I was getting massive amounts of choke (like in the 50-60 range!) which made it near impossible to play. I fiddled around with my rates and things have seemingly gotten better, choke only goes up to 1 now in the worst cases and my ping has gotten better.

I have a cable modem with a 1.5 Mb download and 15 kilobyte per second upload. Does anyone know the appropriate rates for me? Does the cl_rate command affect anything?

Just for chuckles here's my rates:

rate 20000
              cl_rate 30
              cl_updaterate 20

Comment

cl_updaterate (how fast you update everyone else on the server)
                cl_cmdrate (how fast you update yourself to the server)
                ex_interp (how much you smooth the enemy compared to how much he updates himself) (ex_interp of 0.01 will make everyone jerky, while ex_interp 0.1 will make everything smooth, 0.04 will make things jerky at times, but most the time smooth)

Comment

Originally posted by Infro
                  ex_interp (how much you smooth the enemy compared to how much he updates himself) (ex_interp of 0.01 will make everyone jerky, while ex_interp 0.1 will make everything smooth, 0.04 will make things jerky at times, but most the time smooth)
                  ex_extrapmax also effects the smoothness.

If you find you are jerky at a given value of ex_interp, raising ex_extrapmax will smooth things out.

My understanding is you want your ex_interp to be 1/cl_updaterate and then adjust ex_extrapmax to make it smooth.
                  Steam Community: | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X