Your friendly supply officer...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your friendly supply officer...

A comment got me thinking about a rare occurance, but a significant one. And that is: when the commander needs to just let the marines do their thing.

I know the standard model for a commander is that they are in charge, but in my experience, sometimes it's better to take a back seat to the judgement of the marines. This happens when most of the marines are of the commander type, the ones who stay aware of more than just thier surroundings, the ones that look for openings, that communicate when they need to, and most importantly, they will ask each other for help. And at that point, the best thing for the commander to do is to stop thinking as a leader, and instead to think as a supply officer.

When serving as a supply officer:

) Aside from research, don't spend res unless you're asked to.

) When a marine asks for something, give it him, NOW!

) Make sure you relay, ALL, of those messages you get.

) Use the listening abilities you have to scout for your marines, and tell them everything you detect. Even better is to get more than one Obs and scan the areas your marines can't get to right now, such as hives, so they know what's ahead of them.

) Get Catalysts. You might be surprised at the life saving abilities of a cat pack. And I've found that most kharaa teams don't do well if you deny them thier advantage in map coverage given by thier faster speed.

Anyways, I'm curious as to who will agree with this and who thinks I'm nuts :) :) :D
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Your friendly supply officer...

There are times for this, but it's never justification for doing other than what the commander has clearly stated he wants done.

If the commander takes a back seat, it's because he's declared it so, no differently than deciding a node will be built or a hive will be seiged.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I should have pointed that out: it is always the commanders decision to become a supply officer. I will personally tell the other team your location if I hear you tell the commander to do this.

Comment

No, you won't. You'll notify an admin. Don't start creating solutions you're not authorized to implement.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Back on topic.. I love the idea, and I've used it before.

If the marines on the ground can lead, let them lead.

Comm just needs to shut up and FEED THE MACHINE. :)

Comment

Sorry, just displaying an emotion. I'd never actually do something that cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
              ) When a marine asks for something, give it him, NOW!

This is so like half the pub matches I've seen. You know, where nobody wants to take responsibility to command so one clanner hops in and drops 5 shotguns.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

How is this anything like that?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed