Can a heavy train be stopped?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a heavy train be stopped?

A match got me on this subject, and I want to know: is there ANYTHING in NS that can stop a grouped 6 person heavy train, with heavy weapons and cat-packs, other than a lot of onos?

I'll post my thoughts later, just wanted to get this out before I go to sleep.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Can a heavy train be stopped?

Some lucky fades onos and skulks with lots of umbra/heal...
    Oyee

Comment

God

Suprise Ninja Webs and a few crazy skulks.

Commander deciding to tag along as the kaboose instead of providing the train with the coal it needs to continue driving. and by coal I mean medpacks, ammo, and catpacks.

Dinner

Lag

Moms / Girlfriends

However there are many more not explained here which would be assisted with some onos.

Oh ya, Acid Reflux puts a quick end to a particular car in a heavy train fairly effectively.
      RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
        A match got me on this subject, and I want to know: is there ANYTHING in NS that can stop a grouped 6 person heavy train, with heavy weapons and cat-packs, other than a lot of onos?

I'll post my thoughts later, just wanted to get this out before I go to sleep.
        At two hives, an onos and a lerk can keep both marines and bullets at bay pretty well. It's up to the other members of the team to kill the marines though.

At three hives, multiple xenocides work wonders, and webs stop a heavy train in its tracks.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
          At three hives, multiple xenocides work wonders, and webs stop a heavy train in its tracks.
          great minds think alike
          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
            great minds think like pokerface
            I totally agree.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

stomp, umbra, and skulks.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Fades are generally weak against heavies. Unless it has Onos and umbra support. An Onos with skulk and lerk support is the best thing. Webs also help alot but can be countered by GLs and weilders.
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I've had a single fade with no umbra and skulks with leap take out a heavy train before. Mostly because it was right next to alpha hive on lost, but also because people don't know how to effectively use a heavy train. It's not a common strategy on TG. Heavies often do things to negate their inherint advantages. They walk close together and end up hitting themselves, they all try to weld eachother or reload AT THE SAME TIME. When they need a weld, they start screaming for a weld, grab their welder, and hop around in front of other people, which takes a man out of the fight in the one that needs welding (You should be screaming for a weld over voice comm while still firing at stuff coming at you...you know, so you don't get damaged even more.) But he also ends up blocking the line of fire of the heavies he's trying to get to weld him.
                  Generaly speaking, I hate heavy trains unless I have a well coordinated team that's willing to listen to exactly what I say when I'm commanding.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

So far, other than xeno rushes, no suggestion in my opinion could actually stop a coordinated and half-way experienced (at heavytrains) group of 6 marines.

(And before it is suggested, unless all the heavies get in a line and try to get stomped, stomp won't actually stop 6 heavies, it mearly slows them down.)
                    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Did someone suggest that stomp alone will stop a heavy train?

To counter tech that high, you must bring a combination of tech.

As korm plainly said, "stomp, umbra, and skulks" can stop a heavy train.

The Onos stomps. The lerk umbras the Onos and the skulks, and the skulks position themselves such that the marine they are biting is between themselves and the marine which is shooting at them. The stomped marine they're attacking can't attack back and the marines which are not stomped are shooting their buddy in the back, as the skulk is using the stomped meal as a bullet shield.

If the marines bring one skilled jet pack, the task becomes much more difficult for the aliens.

If the aliens use webs, the task gets much harder for the marines.

If you put enough heavy trains against enough aliens, you'll have ample example of trains which were "unbeatable" and ample example of trains which fell quickly to the proper alien tech combination.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Stomp. It works best in tight places like Sat comm hive on tanith. A onos should just use stomp and the rest of the alien team should be attacking the heavys. If you don't have onos just keep the pressure on the marine team if you keep landing bites/swipes you will foce them to weld and may have a chance to overrun them. If the Heavys have a lot of HMG make them use a lot of ammo to kill you so they have to reload. Reloading + welding low armor heavys = easy pickings.

Here is another good counter to heavys and you need fades to do it plus 2 hives. If a marine team is suiting up Heavys and they dont have a PG up let them start to move out of base. When they get 1 room away hit base with fades, this will force the comm to send the heavys back or beacon. Keep doing this as long as possable till/if the marines get a pg up somewhere. If marines split there forces to cover base + move out hit the guys moving out of base and overpower them.

LazyEye

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X