teach: stand up a DEV environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teach: stand up a DEV environment

I think I could walk anyone through setting up a workable DEV environment for writing plugins for our server.

If you think you'd like to take a shot at helping write some code, but you're not really sure where to start, find me and let's share screens until you're up and running.

Ideally, the steps would be documented.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: teach: stand up a DEV environment

Here's a really rough set of instructions:
    1. Follow steps here: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wik...l_via_SteamCmd
    2. Download TGNS mods here: https://github.com/lancehilliard/TGNS/
    3. Copy TGNS files to the server folder created in step 1
    4. Follow instructions in 4th paragraph here: https://github.com/xToken/DAK/blob/master/Readme.txt
    5. Ask wyz for help

At least follow the first two before asking for help.. those should be straight forward and just involve a bunch of downloading.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

I plan on giving this a shot within the next couple of weeks.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I just resized my windows partition to be able to do this. As of 10 minutes ago, I have the server installed. Will test a normal setup later tomorrow. Thanks for the shortlist kormendi, and the volunteering wyz. I'm sure I'll need it once I start adding the necessary mods.

Comment

I'm still setting up a local server. However do you all use Decoda? I'm wondering if there's added benefit like code hinting. I tend to work with SublimeText.

Also this may be a newb question, but do you copy the lua folder into the root server folder or into the 'ns2' folder to merge with the other lua files (I really don't want to screw this up).

Comment

Your DEV server and the repo both have an 'ns2' folder. The 'ns2' folder from the repo should be merged with the 'ns2' folder in the root of your server, such that all files from the repo exist in your server.

I have my repo's root defined as the same root of my DEV server, such that changing files in the server filesystem creates commitable files in my repo. It's very convenient -- no copying/pasting files as I'm editing them (and I can revert changes I make to any server files which are tracked in the repo).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Oh, and... I use Notepad++ for everything, and I'm happy, but I suspect that's due to ignorance.

I use DOS to search files throughout the server.

I should stop long enough to try Decoda.

CAN'T... STOP... WRITING... THE.... CODE.

Comment

I use Decoda... mainly because there is a ns2 project file, ns2/lua/ns2.deproj, that I can load up for easy searching through the NS2 code. I've added all of the TGNS github files to that decoda project.

I think if I understood how to use the debugger in decoda I'd have more use for it.

Comment

I use Decoda... mainly because there is a ns2 project file, ns2/lua/ns2.deproj, that I can load up for easy searching through the NS2 code. I've added all of the TGNS github files to that decoda project.

I think if I understood how to use the debugger in decoda I'd have more use for it.

Comment

I've heard some crazy good things about Decoda's debugger so I may have to give it a whirl. Thanks for the answers :)

Comment

Steps I am using to set up a dev environment:

1. Google cache of wiki, since the wiki is down: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41642243,d.dmQ
                      2. Copy TGNS Mods (which include DAK) to the install_dir from https://github.com/lancehilliard/TGNS/
                      3. DAK config instructions moved to https://github.com/xToken/DAK/blob/m...d#installation
                      4. Ask Wyz / korm for relevant json config files.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                        3. DAK config instructions moved to https://github.com/xToken/DAK/blob/m...d#installation
                        See 3rd bullet in section with heading "Bypassing Mod Filter"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X