extended Consistency checking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extended Consistency checking

To weed out anyone who uses mods that give an unfair advantage outside crosshairs... eg glowing skulks
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Re: extended Consistency checking

Can you point to any info on how this would be executed on the server?
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

i will get more info and links, but i believe its on the steam workshop. but it would be executed like any mod on a server.
      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...htext=extended

By default the NS2 consistency checking doesn't check any of the models or material files. This is because those files are not included with the standard NS2 server build, however this leads to a lot of potential exploits since people are free to change any model (.dds) or material file to gain an advantage. This mod is not all inclusive, meaning it doesn't cover everything, but it does cover most of the main ways people can modify files to gain an advantage.

Because of this glaring gap in coverage, I have put together this mod which contains the model, material, and shader files that are abusive so that server operators can protect their servers from people who may take advantage of this gap.

There is two ways to go about this - Either you have your server run the client build (appid 4920) or you can have your server run all parts of the extended consistency checking mod to ensure all players on your server are running the standard files.

You also need to change your ConsistencyConfig.json to the following to make sure your server is checking most of the files for consistency:

{
        "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.fsb", "*.dds" "*.material", "*.level", "*.cinematic" ]
        }

There are (4) other parts to this mod as there is a limit of 100 MB per steamworks file. The total filesize is around 375 MB when all the different parts are installed.

*Please note* Due to the large size of these mods, it would be best to just have your server run the client version (appid 4920), however in cases where you don't have access to change this then this mod should be used instead.

In order to avoid getting download errors when starting your server, it is a good idea to only install a single mod at a time otherwise the download will fail and the mod won't run.

The ID's for all the mods are: 6914a5b, 691166a, 6911373, 691299d, 6912b45

Main things checked in this part of the compilation:

1). Muzzle flash
        2). Spores
        3). Blink
        4). Explosions
        5). Infestation effects and models
        6). Spit effects
        7). Exo HUD (not the crosshair)
        8). Arc and phase gate effects
        9). Blood splats and other HUD effects
        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

The developer is defiantly reputable, he runs prob half of the NA servers.
          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I'm interested and need some questions answered.

Can several participants in this thread cite a personal desire for this?

What happens when the stock server/client files update? Related: Can we easily disable this at a moment's notice and return the server to stock behavior?

I'll post other questions if I think of them.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I dont like cheaters, im sure others dont also, and to keep everyone on an even playing field would be good. I will try to get an answer to your server related question when i get ahold of tempest.
              Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                Can several participants in this thread cite a personal desire for this?
                Assuming there isn't a huge performance hit that comes with it, I'd like to see this on our server. Unfortunately, our server seems to be right on the edge of being able to handle a full load of NS2 goodness, and I have no idea how this will impact that. If it just increases loading times, good to go. If it makes everyone lag in the middle of a game as someone joins, then I'd rather put up with the cheaters.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  Unfortunately, our server seems to be right on the edge of being able to handle a full load of NS2 goodness.
                  What gives you that impression? Since moving to our current host, our server's tickrate has never fallen below 30 for any significant period of time. I submit exhibit A to the record: http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/ser...01%2F01%2F2013

Comment

Word on the vine is this extended consistency checking heavily increases load times. Cost/benefit doesn't seem to be there if this is true.
                    Skud

Comment

Is it correct to assume any 0 point is actually a server restart?

Comment

I don't think its a restart. The player count is often unchanged when the zeros show up. I think its probably the tracker reading bad data.

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi View Post
                          What gives you that impression?
                          Anecdotal evidence. Only a few times, and only when the server was full, I've experienced lag and several other people on my team complained at the same time. On at least one occasion, Wyz was on my team and commented on it as well. It's never lasted long, but it has happened several times. Should we begin taking note of the times that we experience such lag and let you know?
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                            Word on the vine is this extended consistency checking heavily increases load times. Cost/benefit doesn't seem to be there if this is true.
                            I'm very OK with heavily increasing load times, as long as it doesn't affect gameplay (introduce lag).
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

We sometimes have multiple players experience "lag" very briefly and concurrently. Given the data we have about the server's excellent performance, I'm left to suspect that's a network failure somewhere near our server (and shared by multiple players' paths to the server), and not a fault in the server's performance at all.
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X