Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS2 Warcraft-like mod

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1287643

Warcraft: Source was a mod for CS:S that allowed players to get levels and upgrades by getting kills.

I'm considering starting a project similar to this for NS2. Players will get XP based on achievements in the game. Destroying a building, moving X distance, healing, damage, kills, etc. Upgrades will be small passives. Each level will give you 1 point, and each point will give you a choice to choose a very small percentage upgrade towards a stat (dmg, speed, health.. not sure what else I can manipulate). Levels will be persistent and will only apply during this "mode". At the moment, I'd restrict this mode to only on Saturday night and not capable of being activated during random games (for the sake of the unregs).

I'm not trying to go so far as the Warcraft: Source mod, but I think something like this on Saturday night would be great and would, hopefully, give us two very popular nights in a row.

Thoughts?

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: NS2 Warcraft-like mod

I've decided to go ahead and at least start this project. It's going to take me some time to build, though. I'm not going to make it priority, but I'd like to learn LUA and be able to help Wyz with projects he is working on, so I'm going to do it this way.

I'll write up a list of features and etc sometime this week and publish them here. If anyone has anything they'd like to see in this mod, please let me know here. Speculate all you want to, this isn't even started yet.

Keep in mind that I have to build in balancing with this, so if you want me to make a skulk gun that shoots xeno skulks for the level 10 "Vampire" upgrade, it probably isn't going to happen.

Mom
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

hmmm..... intriguing.

some off the cuff ideas just for fun:

Marines:
      - HUD enhancement; they get the tracking reticle that exos have. If possible, it can be further enhanced to provide (temporary?) alien-style vision.
      - self-healing armor
      - armor penetrating bullets
      - "mount" option for hand grenades (so you don't have to switch off from your primary)
      - pistol laser sight
      - fast builder/fixer

Aliens
      - beefed up armor (to help counter AP ammo)
      - Armor regen (on over and above regular regen, etc)
      - see through walls (short range, like temp para)
      - ns1 blink?!?! (might be a bit huge.... can put severe limitations on it)
      - gorge wall walk
      - Onos shrink (makes them smaller, so they aren't quite so easy to hit, and fit through smaller spaces?)
      - fast-builder/healer
      - lerk's umbra can also heal?

They had something like this with ns1 combat. I think it worked well when you only really felt the bonus of the upgrade when you the full level 5 of whatver you were investing in. I can see that working. Might also speed up endgame =P
      sigpic

Comment

I'll go ahead and say that anything that has graphics in it are basically out of the question. I have 0 experience with stuff like that. Maybe someone else in the community can create things like laser sights and etc, but I cannot.

At the moment, I'm still struggling with learning the code. I haven't spent a lot of time on it yet, either, so I'm not even really started. My new position at work is more demanding than I thought it would be, which I can deal with, but it limits my free time a LOT. So, it's going to be a while before you can really expect anything real. But I am getting started, even if slowly.

I'd really be interested in working with people who already have experience modding. It would help me immensely at this point to see someone build a simple little mod and hook in to the engine so I understand how all that works.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...